To keep or not to keep!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rk100

Car
W215 CL65 AMG & W124 E500
Hello all

I have been thinking of selling my W215 CL65 and W124 E500 since few months now and getting a 997.2 Turbo S. Every time though I take both cars out I start to doubt myself!

Any thoughts or experiences with a 997.2 Turbo S?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a serious bit of kit you're thinking of getting. not for me personally as it is AWD, but as a performance machine, it is in a league of it's own. it will turn heads everytime you go anywhere and will garner mammoth amounts of respect. gosh, I feel like trading my wagon for one all of a sudden!

Once the doubts disappear, buy the Turbo.

For something very fast that’ll hardly ever put a foot wrong, they are hard to beat. I’ve only experienced 996 Turbo and GT2, but never felt the urge to buy one.

A 997.2 (better infotainment and PDK than a 997.1) is a good choice plus it has the last of the Metzger engines (I think) so should be a bit of a future classic. They are very quick and handle great (I did consider one when I got my 911). Can’t really go wrong (reliable , great residuals) if you get a good one.

Don't buy it for the Mezger engine, it doesn't have one.

Yep - couldn’t remember the 997.2 has the 3.8 and the 997.1 the 3.6 merger?

Yep - couldn’t remember the 997.2 has the 3.8 and the 997.1 the 3.6 merger?

Thanks for the comments all. I have the itch for one of these but the two cars I have are great which has held me back a bit to date. Do you all see values of the 997.2 turbo going down or up?

Prices have been pretty steady for years. They rode the same wave as other cars and had an increase a while back. They haven’t settled right down and the price spread is broad where some sellers are out of step.

The Turbo S remains the one to buy. If you can avoid paying over the top for low miles, the car will hold its money fairly well.

Buy it because you want it - future price movements should be irrelevant.

Prices have been pretty steady for years. They rode the same wave as other cars and had an increase a while back. They haven’t settled right down and the price spread is broad where some sellers are out of step.

The Turbo S remains the one to buy. If you can avoid paying over the top for low miles, the car will hold its money fairly well.

yes prices seem to vary a good bit between sellers for some reason.

Any thoughts anyone on the 997 GT3 compared to the Turbo S?

I would keep the two you have, purely for exclusivity/rarity rather than the porker!

I would keep the two you have, purely for exclusivity/rarity rather than the porker!

That’s the bit I am struggling with! For the w215 CL65 there are not that many about and I think the shape etc is the best of all the CL range....and the 65 engine is super. I love the E500 for cruising around and it gets lots of attention when I take it out.

Have an itch for a 997 Turbo S (looks like about 2000 of them made) but would have to part with the other two which I have been tempted before but just couldn’t go through with it.

I agree with your sentiments regarding the W215 being the best shape of the CL and in 65 guise it is anything but common! Coupled with the E500, I do not envy you having to make the decision to part with the pair. Apologies for not making it any easier for you, guess it just come down to how much you want to scratch that itch!

I agree with your sentiments regarding the W215 being the best shape of the CL and in 65 guise it is anything but common! Coupled with the E500, I do not envy you having to make the decision to part with the pair. Apologies for not making it any easier for you, guess it just come down to how much you want to scratch that itch!

That’s it will have to see how much I need to scratch it!

The CL has only 44k on it and the E500 has 66k so both may go up a bit in value in the next few years but who knows about that - it could go anyway at all.

Any thoughts anyone on the 997 GT3 compared to the Turbo S?

very different cars. Turbo S is more grand tourer, GT3 much more hard core - comparatively speaking, both cars will be very alert compared to either Merc

GT3 8400rpm NA is truly epic - one of the great engines

saw a convertible 911 turbo. very impressive piece of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom