• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tom Tom 910 satnav - comments & thoughts

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Bought one of these recently (just over £400 from Curry's online with a discount voucher, ended up with free delivery too) so I thought I'd share a few random thoughts!

Basically, it's great. We navigated door-to-door from Surrey to South Germany and back without opening a road atlas once (we did have one - just in case!). An unexpected trip to visit an old school friend one night would have been a nightmare without it - an hour's drive, in the dark, cross-country to a city we'd never visited ... and it took us straight to their door.

Recalculating is lightning fast if you do manage to miss a turn - VERY impressive.

The remote control is excellent. It's radio (not IR), so it can be used anywhere in the car - I leave it in the mount on the dash. On my Sharan I can't reach the touch screen while driving, so I use the remote for everything. Visibility of the screen is OK in sunlight with the brightness turned up to 100% (default is 85% I think). The auto dimming and switching to night mode is very nice, I turned night brightness down from 15% to 10%.

Signal reception seems pretty good, it even works most of the time inside the house. A friend with an older TTG 500 struggles to get a signal round here sometimes when driving. My 'everyday' car (Sharan) has an electrically heated windscreen which doesn't seem to bother it, I did buy the magnetic external antenna (which was only about £20) and we used that in Germany ... gave a maximum signal 99.9% of the time.

I subscribed to the "Traffic" and Speed Camera services for 49 Euros / 12 months, since that covered all of Europe for both. Traffic seems a mixed bag, quite often we hit big jams that weren't shown at all but other times it was very useful e.g. telling us that an accident ahead had now been cleared - and sure enough the traffic started moving again. This does use your mobile phone for data transfer, I will wait for my next bill to see see how much this came to! The Tom Tom TMC receiver doesn't seem to be available quite yet, that's a one-off purchase price. Speed cameras worked well, it updates potential mobile camera locations via your phone (if you have this feature switched on).

Enabling POIs is a bit clunky, for example I'd like a shortcut to turn petrol stations on and off as that's something we were doing quite often. The display of POIs and warning when approaching are also independent, which means you can be warned of them without them showing on screen or vice-versa! But the petrol station warnings are pretty good, it tells you how far it is to the next one if you don't take the one you're approaching.

The Bluetooth to my phone (Nokia 6230i) was dead simple to set up, and seems to work fine. Automatically reading out incoming text messages is pretty neat! The 'computer voice' is generally pretty good, it's very useful to have place and road names read out (rather than just 'turn left' etc.) - although the pronunciation of names on the continent is pretty hilarious when it's in English!

Toll roads could be improved. If you set 'ask me' in preferences, it calculates the route first - THEN asks about toll roads, and if you say 'avoid' it starts planning a route afresh! The 'arrive by' function is nice, 5 mins. or more in hand and it shows in green, 0-5 mins in amber, and if you're going to be late it shows in red. Being able to customise the status display is good ... if you switch off things like speed it put the remaining items in a bigger font, which makes them easier to read. We ended up with just distance to run and arrival time displayed, and the car computer showing miles remaining on the fuel tank.

No problems with the windscreen mount, car charger, or PC 'dock'. Battery life seems pretty good without the car charger connected.

The photo album and music storage bits seem totally pointless to me! Of course I do have a nice customised startup screen (picture of my R129) though :)

That's it for now!

Nice write up. Very useful, as I'm thinking of getting this model. Thanks.

Could have done with being posted in the Electronics forum though, I think. :o :confused:

cheers
karl

Very good Bill. I have the original Tom Tom Go and I can't fault it. I even took it with me to Florida earlier in the year and don't know how I managed without it. The 910's extra features sound great. Looks like you have a nice bit of kit there Bill.

Bill, I was wondering if you can run the audio from the 910 into the Aux car input, so the MP3 player would make sense ( or controlling an ipod).

Also does it warn you about speed cameras or just indicate them on the map if you happen to be in navigation mode ?

Thanks matt

Re the speed cams its configurable - icon shows on screen and can be set to sound an alarm (I have an "oink" set as they are piggybanks) at a user-set number of meters from the camera position.

I hardly ever use the Comand Nav now as its so slow to set up and lacking in function versus the Tomtom - and I only have the Tomtom One.

Howdy BTB, glad you like the unit. Unfortunately I am not so excited about my 910.

I find the unit very slow in comparison to the very first TomTom GO, and the screen updates are not fast enough in my opinion. Particularly noticable when on a roundabout and you are 'ahead' of the unit.

You can't connect the unit to a pc without the docking station. You could before, with a standard USB cable.

Cannot connect the unit to power without the docking station. You could before, which meant just taking the plug pack with you on holidays somewhere.

The unit is succeptable to not synching for hours with the satellite when you take it somewhere a long way away. I took mine to Germany, and found that it didn't work at all for around 5 hours until it eventually picked up a signal. I called Tom Tom who advised that I should have docked the machine for a sat database update. This wasn't the case before.

The mount is rubbish, and has already been re-engineered by TomTom - they are not automatically replacing them. You have to convince them. Connectors are crap and the holding power is less than ideal. It eventually droops on bumpy roads.

The battery runs itself down when the unit isn't used, and the general battery life is far less than the original model.

The quality of their subscription databases for speed cameras in Europe is not very good in my opionion, and less accurate that the PocketGPS files.

I find that the routing is less appealing than the original TTG for most of my most common routes.

I am actually a little annoyed for selling my old model so quickly.

On the plus side:

Yes you can run the audio out into your stereo's audio in. It pauses the MP3 output for every noise and warning though, which is very offputting.

Text readout from the phone is very handy. I like this feature a lot.

Last edited:
Well that's a pretty damming report, i think i might wait for a few upgrades and design improvements.

Thanks Matt

Maybe I've got a 'revised' mount ... I've not had any problems at all with drooping or the power/antenna connectors.

Not had any of the earlier Tom Toms so can't compare with them, when we were away the unit was charged in the car (while in use) so I didn't miss the PC dock. Never ran out of battery when route planning etc. away from the car, and we didn't bother to hook up the 12V lead for some local journeys.

I did see a couple of speed cameras in Germany that weren't in the POI database, but I don't know if they were genuine ones or not (in one case it went from unrestricted autobahn to 100 kph and a camera gantry, with no warning whatsoever?!).

Bill - chances are that you have the revised mount. I am going to try and get mine swapped out when I get back to the UK. You can check using the following pictures: http://www.yournav.com/content/n/186/TomTom_modifies_GO_x10_car_mount.html

I still like the unit, and have hopes that future firmware versions will sort out a few of the things that are annoying me. I'm glad that you are enjoying the unit - I still think that TomTom make the best units.

REALLY annoyed by the dock and power cable issues though. :-(

I've had my 910 for a few months now (with the original mount) and I haven't noticed any of the problems Scott mentioned. I absolutely love the unit. I gave my old TomTom GO to my girlfriend and I used her car a couple of days last week and it reminded me how much better the 910 is! I definitely haven't noticed the newer unit being slower at all.

Only being able to connect the unit through the docking mount is perfect for me, as it sits on my desk all the time. The docking mount is so small it wouldn't be a hassle taking this away anywhere.

I haven't had any problems with it not obtaining a satellite lock, although the unit has hung a couple of times when I've tried to switch it on, I had to use the reset button on the back which wasn't much of a problem.

In three months my mount hasn't dropped or come loose once.

I did find the routing of the original model slightly better, but I had updated it to the latest software anyway so didn't see a change switching to the 910.

I do agree pausing the MP3 output for every warning is a pain. Despite this seeming to be an option I haven't found a way to stop it doing this.

Overall I just love the unit. I'd never pay the OEM price on a new car for Sat Nav.

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear your enjoying the unit. Mine's not had a firmware update for at least 8 weeks now, and reading some of the relevant forums, it looks like there have been some updates. Will try when I get back to the UK this week. Fingers are crossed! :-)

FYI - The satellite issue that I mentioned was a problem when taking the unit a long distance when turned off - i.e. taking it on the plane to Germany and installing it in a rental car. I was ready to throw it out the window. I really don't understand why TT have changed the functionality like this.

The reason I was hacked off with TT for changing to a mount rather than a USB socket was for convenience. I used to be able to take a single USB cable with me to service my gadgets when travelling - multiple cameras, external hard disk and the TTG. Sadly I can no longer do that.

You've done well with the mount. It's probably the single biggest complaint about the package since release. My mini has stuff suspension, and as soon as you hit a bump in the road, the mount sags. By the time you get to the end of a long road, the 910 is facing down, leaning against the dash.

Hi Scott. I have kept up to date with software updates, as they install automatically when you connect it to the PC now. I think there has been at least two major updates since I've had it.

Yup there's a new version of the TomTom Home software (on the PC) too, think that installed early last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom