track day as passenger in an elise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
Nowt to do with Mercs but what the heck......

On Friday evening I got invited to be a passenger in someone's Lotus Elise around Knockhill Race Track.

What a fantastic evening. Those cars are great fun and if I had a large sum of spare cash I would be sorely tempted to buy one. They handle superbly and make a fab noise too :D

It was an open session for 2 hours where you basically just get to thrash your car about. Seemed quite safe. There was mostly Lotuses (or is that Lotii :p) and TVR's (incl a gorgeous T350 :D). Also a Ferrari, Boxster, some custom car that was tanning absolutely everything (no idea what it was), plus a couple of Metro's, bless 'em.

Versus the Lotuses, the TVRs had the upper hand on the straights but at the corners the Elise shone. One guy had an Exige and a lot of nerve - boy did that that thing shift!

Anyway, despite my original decision never to take my car onto a track I am finding it *very* hard to resist the temptation. I have the Fun Devil :devil: on my left egging me on whilst the Sensible Angel
nono.gif
on my right is reminding me of the price of tyres and brake pads plus the abnormal strain it would put on my wee car.

I wish I'd took a camera to show you guys what a top evening it was.

In the meantime I think I'm about to start my own little track day fund. :)

Anyone here took/takes their car on to the track?

My brother just got this. A Caterham 7. Fast from 0-60, but not enough to be too cocky. Fun for now and then but generally the experience was lost on me for an everyday car.

Could only recommend as a toy, but a good laugh.

C230Cat7.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up simon :)

I'm really looking forward to the track day event at Goodwood that I have won courtesy of StuartB. :D

As far as my car is concerned, it is staying firmly in the parking lot, heh my head is still firmly ruled by the 'Sensible Angel' at the moment. I dread to think what the insurance company's reply would be to my request of a track day in my own car and I wince at the thought of making a mistake on a corner or something similar, let alone the tyre wear and brake pad abuse.

Ever see this video? :crazy: :devil:

S.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Thanks for the heads-up simon :)

I'm really looking forward to the track day event at Goodwood that I have won courtesy of StuartB. :D

As far as my car is concerned, it is staying firmly in the parking lot, heh my head is still firmly ruled by the 'Sensible Angel' at the moment. I dread to think what the insurance company's reply would be to my request of a track day in my own car and I wince at the thought of making a mistake on a corner or something similar, let alone the tyre wear and brake pad abuse.

Ever see this video? :crazy: :devil:

S.

better keep quiet about the Nurburgring then eh' Steve, nudge nudge ;) ;)

(Don't forget - its JUST a toll road !!)

S.

Yeah, it's only a one way toll road with no speed limit :D

Originally posted by sym
better keep quiet about the Nurburgring then eh' Steve, nudge nudge ;) ;)

(Don't forget - its JUST a toll road !!)

S.

Sym,

laugh.gif
LOL Good point mate! I believe Matt said "if we desire"
silly.gif
- hehe umm if it's Germany in November, I'd be driving like a granny around the Nürburgring anyways :rolleyes: anyone for snow-chains? :devil:

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Sym,

laugh.gif
LOL Good point mate! I believe Matt said "if we desire"
silly.gif
- hehe umm if it's Germany in November, I'd be driving like a granny around the Nürburgring anyways :rolleyes: anyone for snow-chains? :devil:

S.

Lets hope no snow chains needed . . never mind - if no snow they will come in handy for securing my wife to the seat, so she can't escape the Nurburgring "experience" !! (I know I'm going to get shouted at on the Autobahn as soon as I go over 75 :eek: LOL! )

Originally posted by sym
(I know I'm going to get shouted at on the Autobahn as soon as I go over 75 :eek: LOL! )

Just turn the stereo up :devil: just kidding Mrs. Sym!!
silly.gif

S.

@ Graham:
The Caterham looks great. I take it you've been for a spin in it! Lad at work's got one. Need to have a chat with him :D

I agree that its not a daily driver but immense fun.

@ Steve:

That video hurt! The organised track-day seemed very safe. Lots of marshals - if anyone span out stopping anywhere remotely dangerous the red-flags were out. No-one allowed near the trackside. They also have instructors for newbies as well who'll take you out and give you a few pointers. The organisers kept everyone well spread out and the slower cars were courteous to the faster cars. (Heh, I'm just talking myself into here aren't I? :D)

Enjoy you're trackday at Goodwood - sounds fab!

Re: insurance - from speaking to a few folk they said you can get seperate insurance for the day - ~£30 for £30k cover but there's a £3k excess - so you're only really covering yourself for a major incident. For anything minor you drive/tow your car to the nearest public road and then "Whoops! I swerved to avoid a rabbit/sheep/dear".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom