Two lots of aircon, now restored

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:eek: There has been a lot of talk in our trade about what kwik fit are doing, and beleive me they are giving a lot of refunds back as well, as they do not know how to leak test.

Good to know. They said my system was OK last month. It must be almost discharged by now....

Aircon revival/conversion - a new compressor?

...edit...

The common places for gas leaks are:

The condenser due to front end accident damage or corrosion.
Hoses rubbing through.
Compressor shaft seals leaking. (the most common)
The evaporator coil (cooling matrix) due to soft alloy.
Various O rings perishing or old rings reused when changing components.

In theory the system is supposed to be a sealed system and should keep its charge, but any system with mechanical joints or steel or aluminium components will corrode eventually.

I've resurrected and slightly hijacked this thread when searching for info and guidance on aircon systems.

The R12 system in my 1990 W126 (560 SEC) has lost almost all its gas, and nitrogen pressure test suggests there is a very tiny, very slow leak somewhere. So without any supply of R12 to regas and add dye, I need to find some way of tracing the leak either before or after making all the other necessary changes for it to be regassed with R134a. The finger of suspicion for the leak points at the compressor, which is why I picked up on Andy W's checklist above.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but I'm doing some contingency plannning. If it is the compressor seal, is this repairable or does it - as I fear - mean a new compressor? If so, has anyone got any tips/advice on where to source a new one for less than the extortionate MB list price?

br1anstorm

This thread appears again just as my aircon packs up for the 3rd time so far!

Will probably be taking it to 124works for a checkup when I get chance :)

I used Kwik Fit in Camberley for our Audi ... recharge and pressure test were fine, but no improvement in temperature so as per their terms & conditions it was free of charge. I guess the compressor is shot?

Save0012.jpg
Air con leak testing has come a long way since the first post here.

Do take care and make sure that no gas is left in the system

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom