Unimog landcruiser 2.9l motorhome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danandgerry

Car
E300 td Subaru forrester
Thinking I might buy this unimog try it out then export it to Australia and spend 3 months,or maybe 6 looking around that vast beautiful country,anyone had any experience of one of these big beast's

:dk: Link?!?

Have you driven a Mog before?
Have you ever driven a Leaf sprung Land Rover?

Yes I was in the army for 9yrs and I've driven a really old 609 I if you can drive one of those you can drive any thing

Still no link. Not sure what a Unimog landcruiser 2.9 is? I owned and regularly used a Unimog 1450 for 6 years and approx 50K miles of driving. They are very expensive to run and maintain. Tell us more.

Yes I was in the army for 9yrs and I've driven a really old 609 I if you can drive one of those you can drive any thing

Ok, reason for me asking is if people have only driven normal modern vehicles this sort of thing can be a bit of a culture shock to say the least!

Very interested to see this Mog now!

Might be something like this. It seems they fit Unimog axles to a Landcruiser chassis.

Attachments

• UnimogCruiser.jpg
    UnimogCruiser.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 69
Might be something like this. It seems they fit Unimog axles to a Landcruiser chassis.

Its a good way of getting portal axles on a cruiser! Only Brazilian built Toyota Bandeirantes used Merc engines, though still not 2.9 litres!

I think a Toyota 12H-T engine would be nice in an old unimog:bannana:

I'll try and post picture but I'm not sure how

Last edited:
$(KGrHqF,!oEFIs1zt3VNBSQv9JENjw~~60_12.JPG

Hope this works
Wow it worked not sure how I did it. That is no flying pig camerafoder

Last edited:
I think it would make a handy camper that would get you out of some sticky situations, I would say its not up to 'overlanding' though. The body looks to be the demountable type for US trucks adapted to fit the Mog. As spinal said, a few miles of corrugations would probably loose most of the interior fittings and soon after the bodies stucture woulb be somewhat de-stressed!

Not slating it, I certainly wouldn't mind it but you would have to think about what you would actually be using it for!
Summer trip to Iceland could be fun! you wouldn't have to worry about fording.

Having done some overland in the Sahara, my vehicle choices for overland are the following (totally stock) vehicles:

Toyota Land Cruiser
E320 or E350 (yes, really)
or on a budget a suzuki vitara

Decide on where you want to go, and look at what spares are available in the region. Around the sahara, land rover parts are very expensive and pretty rare (bar countries with wars/oil fields). Land cruiser and e-class parts are easy to get.

Re the E350; it has an AWD system (designed by Steyr), parts are easy to come by, and you won't stick out as a foreigner like a sore thumb. Fit some proper springs and a skid plate (not lower/higher springs, just some good, new springs and shocks - I like eibach/bilstein). Remove everything inside behind the front seats and you should have enough space to build a platform (storage underneath, beds on top).

Yes, it won't do the technical terrain that a 'mog will do - but ironically enough, you'll be able to go in more places if you are travelling.

On the other hand if you are looking for an off-road vehicle with a camper-van capability, and have a fairly large budget (which I assume you have if you are looking at a 'mog) - I've heard good things of the Gaz and Ural trucks from our comrades in the east.

M.

Last edited:
Strangely was just looking at expedition unimogs and was reading an excellent few threads about it. From what they say that one wouldn't be the best at the steep stuff because of the huge rear overhang which would prohibit it going up steeper stuff. I believe they measure the departure angle from the base of the rear wheel to the drawing a line up the end of the overhang. If you google "expedition unimog" you'll see most of them have basically sliced off that corner.

I'd love one!

Spent 6 weeks in Australia with my son saw one of these fell in love with it I only want to travel around Aus it will get me where I want to go nothing too drastic I am near 70

If it's Oz you want to explore, there are a few companies out there that will rent you an expedition ready 4x4 (or 6x6) and an RAC type cover... did consider it a while back.

I reckon you want something 4x4... depending on how many people even bigger. Question is, do you want to buy a £25k beast, then spend time preparing it and shipping it, or just rent a ready made one?

Spinal. My 2004 55 clk amg and 10 grand, but I haven't done the deal yet. Bargain if all goes to plan.

That is quite tempting!

Suggest looking at the connecting between the mog and the camper van, if not flexible it will end up ripping the attachment apart over time.

I would also look at prices to ship the thing out, not sure it would fit in a standard 20' container!

What are your plans for spares? Whatever you do decide to bring, I suggest you get a DHL account and details of someone you can call to buy spares on the phone with a credit card and have them picked up by DHL and brought to your nearest DHL office. Utterly priceless when you are stuck with a broken something-or-other (and it's always the one thing you didn't bring a spare for!)

I know it's for the wrong "area", but I do suggest having a read through Chris Scott's Overland book. It doesn't cover mogs, but has some pretty good advice.

Finally, and most importantly… PICTURES! Of the mog, of Oz, of the preparations… of the lot! I'm feeling a bit gloomy being stuck in the UK for another year (wasn't able to sort out something for the mongol rally in time… changing jobs)

M.

$(KGrHqF,!oEFIs1zt3VNBSQv9JENjw~~60_12.JPG

Hope this works
Wow it worked not sure how I did it. That is no flying pig camerafoder

Haha, the flying pigs are my signature, not intended to be a reference to your post!

Mogs with camper van backs are popular and very good. However the U100 is only a 2.9L which will be be frustratingly underpowered. You are better off with the 1*** series, my 1450 had the 5.9L turbo which is a much torquier unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom