• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Upgrade from C63 non-S to S: what’s it worth?

I think it was possible to order an S with standard seats - I’ve seen one or two when browsing. Rare though.
I’m going to speak to the seller this morning and see what the £££ is to change.
So far, based on really valuable inputs here which I’m very grateful for, I’m veering towards stick rather than twist. I would definitely not want any facelift C63 as the OPF noise is a huge no-no for me.
The other valid point is that my current non-S has been driven well but also very meticulously cared for - I know the life it’s had and it has wanted for nothing - so that is also a factor in swapping to a different S car. My non-S is only on 36k miles …. and had a full paint correction/ceramic detail earlier this year.
I’ll see what the £££ looks like later and update the thread.

Sorry Op I missed the point of this thread, I wouldn't give up a car that's low mileage for it's year that I know the history, which I've spent/invested time, money and I know is a clean cared for example for some larger brakes, diff, seats and power.

If anything map the non S for a fraction of the cost or sell it and buy a AMG S variant of another model.

I think it was possible to order an S with standard seats - I’ve seen one or two when browsing. Rare though.
I’m going to speak to the seller this morning and see what the £££ is to change.
So far, based on really valuable inputs here which I’m very grateful for, I’m veering towards stick rather than twist. I would definitely not want any facelift C63 as the OPF noise is a huge no-no for me.
The other valid point is that my current non-S has been driven well but also very meticulously cared for - I know the life it’s had and it has wanted for nothing - so that is also a factor in swapping to a different S car. My non-S is only on 36k miles …. and had a full paint correction/ceramic detail earlier this year.
I’ll see what the £££ looks like later and update the thread.

Sorry Op I missed the point of this thread, I wouldn't give up a car that's low mileage for it's year that I know the history, which I've spent/invested time, money and I know is a clean cared for example for some larger brakes, diff, seats and power.

If anything map the non S for a fraction of the cost or sell it and buy a AMG S variant of another model.
I was just curious to see how much cash people might be willing to stump up, if anything, to upgrade to the S model. The cars were priced differently when new, and are still priced differently now they are all second hand, so there definitely is a difference in ownership value, perceived or real. Question I’m asking is - how much is that difference worth to my fellow members here?

I was just curious to see how much cash people might be willing to stump up, if anything, to upgrade to the S model. The cars were priced differently when new, and are still priced differently now they are all second hand, so there definitely is a difference in ownership value, perceived or real. Question I’m asking is - how much is that difference worth to my fellow members here?
I think most will be commenting based on initial purchase not so much to upgrade, unless I'm mistaken.

Interesting to hear other people’s opinions on this, particularly the seats.

It’s very hard to quantify an actual figure for difference in price for an identical S vs non-S on the second-hand market….

If you want to try and put a figure on it then perhaps find two identical years cars and stick them in WBAC - that will give you a £££ figure if you’re after one.

When I was looking a year or so ago, an S was probably 4-6k more than a non-s but there are way too many variables.

For the person who is desperate for buckets then £4k today to upgrade is worth it, if you have an aching back and are happy getting a remap for £600 then £4k looks dear!

Finally engine mounts on the s are active and definitely helps keep the chassis more taught.....
Really......how does that work...? Mercedes say that active engine mounts introduce compensation movements to neutralize the incoming engine vibrations. Cant see how that would affect chassis taught-ness one way or the other.

Really......how does that work...? Mercedes say that active engine mounts introduce compensation movements to neutralize the incoming engine vibrations. Cant see how that would affect chassis taught-ness one way or the other.
Surely that’s simple, it stops undue body roll when cornering?

The engine mounts definitely does the trick, when in S+ (or if manually adjust some the suspension via the 2-stage button) my car corners almost completely flat and everything becomes extremely taught.

As the stiffness can be controlled, they can operate in a softer setting to reduce noise, vibration and harshness in relaxed driving and stiffened to better control the movement of the engine and transmission during very spirited driving.

As far as I am aware Mercedes don’t publish details of relative stiffnesses in each setting (or bow those changes are triggered, eg dynamic mode, cornering load, speed, etc) and how that compares to standard mounts.

It’s also difficult to isolate the change in feel or driving dynamics due to active mounts in isolation, as the active mounts are usually activated with other active features such as changes to damper stiffness, diff settings, and engine/transmission modes.

The active mounts are almost certainly able to improve the performance of the car, but how often that improvement is triggered or felt in real word driving conditions is a different matter altogether. Hardly ever is probably a fair estimate.

Surely that’s simple, it stops undue body roll when cornering?

The engine mounts definitely does the trick, when in S+ (or if manually adjust some the suspension via the 2-stage button) my car corners almost completely flat and everything becomes extremely taught.
It’s adjusting the dampers to full hard too, so you aren’t ever experiencing the engine mounts in isolation. Fwiw there’s known issues with the left hand active mounting breaking. The part number has been superseded twice. The right hand has never been changed

As the stiffness can be controlled, they can operate in a softer setting to reduce noise, vibration and harshness in relaxed driving and stiffened to better control the movement of the engine and transmission during very spirited driving.

As far as I am aware Mercedes don’t publish details of relative stiffnesses in each setting (or bow those changes are triggered, eg dynamic mode, cornering load, speed, etc) and how that compares to standard mounts.

It’s also difficult to isolate the change in feel or driving dynamics due to active mounts in isolation, as the active mounts are usually activated with other active features such as changes to damper stiffness, diff settings, and engine/transmission modes.

The active mounts are almost certainly able to improve the performance of the car, but how often that improvement is triggered or felt in real word driving conditions is a different matter altogether. Hardly ever is probably a fair estimate.
Hmm.... I'll remain sceptical that a driver on the road will notice any handling difference from have stiffer softer engine mounts...except possibly noticing less engine movement under full noise launches...........Mercedes don't even claim there's a handling benefit with them in anything I've read it was all just NVH stuff.....mind you it was only a quick Google!!!!.

It’s adjusting the dampers to full hard too, so you aren’t ever experiencing the engine mounts in isolation. Fwiw there’s known issues with the left hand active mounting breaking. The part number has been superseded twice. The right hand has never been changed
I’ve had active mounts replaced at less than 3 years old (albeit on a different model, not a C 63 S). I have a feeling that there was at least on engine mount and a transaxle mount which had failed.

It’s adjusting the dampers to full hard too, so you aren’t ever experiencing the engine mounts in isolation.

Are the active engine mounts controlled via the suspension setting? i.e Sport+ or Race with comfort damper settings would mean the mounts are in a 'comfort' setting?

Are the active engine mounts controlled via the suspension setting? i.e Sport+ or Race with comfort damper settings would mean the mounts are in a 'comfort' setting?
Yes they are - either the Dynamic mode switch or the suspension button (as far as I know).

Which would explain why people think they make a difference.....its the changes in shock/damper rating they are feeling rather than the engine mounts......?

Stiffer engine mounts can be felt under normal driving. I've fitted them to cars in the past which had passive suspension and it's tangible. However, it's more to do with the drivetrain not kicking as much and clutch feel than it is about improved cornering.

I bought an S205 C63 estate (non S) unseen at the height of covid. The sealer refurbished the alloys all black instead of keeping the OEM silver rim. It also didn’t have the performance exhaust option despite being advertised as having one. Being so excitable I still went ahead with the purchase as I was desperate for a blue estate.

In hindsight the only I’d change would be the performance exhaust option with is probably a £5k delta in terms of fitting a decent aftermarket setup or swapping the car for an S.

Everything else on the car is absolutely perfect and I hadn’t noticed any differences between the S and my non S - though I’m no a racing driver.

I’d pay the £5k today if I can swap my car like for like for another that’s been as impeccably maintained as mine has been over the past 2.5 years of my ownership - but there’s always a risk with that.

Unfortunately the aftermarket exhaust option is a little OTT for me so I’m pretty stuck - but nevertheless very happy with what I have. A perfect family car really. Even the wife enjoys driving it with the baby in tow.

I’m conclusion if you’re feeling desperately brave to swap then go for. I’d do it and I’d pay £5k for the privilege but I’m not sure I’m brave enough. The grass on the side of my blue C63 estate is plenty green for me.

Shame the facelift regressed in terms of noise. Stupid filters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom