• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Upgrade from C63 non-S to S: what’s it worth?

Looking through photos on Autotrader Trader, the sports seats are at higher risk to suffer wear and tear to the side boulster, happens when the sides inevitable get squashed and then you get them permanent crease marks 🙆

That’s one way to get the £11k down, but selling cars privately these days …. ugh. Headaches and risk. Not sure I could be fussed with the grief and, based on comments here, I’m really not sure the upgrade is worth even £6k. Are the seats even an upgrade? Downgrade?
Jury is out.
Buying from a dealer and part exchanging is the most expensive way of changing cars.

In that £11k is a margin on the part-exchange, a margin on the sale, and the cost of preparing and warranting ready for sale, advertising costs, and some leeway for negotiation - that could easily account for almost half of the “extra” £11k.

Selling privately and buying privately will give a better indication of the true difference in market value between the S and non-S models.

Depend how you get in and out. I've seem high miles sports seats (on various marques) that look great....but I've had 20,000 mile cars owned by .......erm?....larger people....... who slide in and out that are completely ruined on the right side bolster.

Most who dislike the sports seats may have a high bmi...
Quite possibly. I would say very likely if we were taking about buckets.

For me at least I think it’s more to do with seating position with tombstone seats, as I’ve had the same problem in the SLK, 911 and MX5. All had tombstone seats. Never found seats in any other cars uncomfortable, just those three.

Buying from a dealer and part exchanging is the most expensive way of changing cars.

In that £11k is a margin on the part-exchange, a margin on the sale, and the cost of preparing and warranting ready for sale, advertising costs, and some leeway for negotiation - that could easily account for almost half of the “extra” £11k.

Selling privately and buying privately will give a better indication of the true difference in market value between the S and non-S models.
Dazzler I've had a part time car sales business while I was in the police. The cost to advertise on Autotrader will be either £125 per car or pay autotrader a sum of around £400 for a business account. Most dealers offer a 3 month warranty, I tied in with warranty wise and and depending on the car will be say £125 for a fiesta ST up to £800 for an Audi S5, these prices were for 6 months so I was covered for the 6 month consumer rights for my own peace of mind. I never sold a AMG so could not comment yet I've messed about with the portal and I recall around £1000 for 6 months. Yes there's other over heads, staff, premises, lock ups etc and which dealer offers discounts on cars nowadays you're lucky to get £200. Agree with you that this will be the most costly way for the OP to trade up, of it were me and a S was a must have then it would be private sale and then look at adding the difference to buy from Merc for a 2 year AMG warranty

Yeah I know and I agree Dazzler - but the “agg” of selling privately is not something I relish. The last time I sold privately (a BMW) was when I bought my first C63 (w204) in 2015 and I don’t have fond memories of the experience. The cost v benefit of selling privately v commercially is a whole different debate.

True - but I need a saloon as both my daughters are giants.
I know you’ve already made your decision but, I have a saloon also and compared to the coupe, they look almost too ‘Q’ car

Personally speaking the sports seats and red callipers (or bronze if you have CCB’s) really lift the car and make it stand out.

Just saying….

I know you’ve already made your decision but, I have a saloon also and compared to the coupe, they look almost too ‘Q’ car

Personally speaking the sports seats and red callipers (or bronze if you have CCB’s) really lift the car and make it stand out.

Just saying….
I’ve always liked the original AMG mantra of “wear a dark suit, carry a big stick”. I like not to stand out, but that’s just me.

LOL.....and of cause having a high bmi often leads to having a back back in the first place......
Plz don't get me started on bmi etc I have one of those supposedly smart scales and I've been patting myself on the back that I've put on some weight and feel good, I just checked to gloat and turns out it's my body fat increasing from 20 to 25% of my body weight 🤨 seems like I've been consoling the fact my car doesn't have bucket seats by gorging myself on KFC bargain buckets 🤢

Sounds like your trying to convince yourself not to buy the "S" version, but deep down REALLY want it.
If you've got the 11k ( and might be less after negotiations) then get it, life's to short. 🙂👍
There is an element of that which I can acknowledge, yes - but on the other hand there is also a “grass isn’t always greener” thing which is staying my hand. I think if I’d heard a generally positive endorsement of the seats in particular, I’d have bought it already.
But … for now …. I’m gonna stick, not twist.
Really appreciate all the input into this thread. Great forum this.

Most who dislike the sports seats may have a high bmi...
I have you on ignore, but had to look because I couldn’t get the gist of others that quoted you. I hope that isn’t a thinly veiled insult to me. I’m 6’2 and 12 stone. My bmi is just fine thank you. I have a back problem thanks to a reckless ***** who caused a car accident back in the early nineties. He thought mistakenly that the King’s highway was a racetrack. He got a ban for dangerous driving and I got two displaced discs in my spine. That’s why I have a back problem.
Aand back on ignore.

Reactions: GVT
There is an element of that which I can acknowledge, yes - but on the other hand there is also a “grass isn’t always greener” thing which is staying my hand. I think if I’d heard a generally positive endorsement of the seats in particular, I’d have bought it already.
I know you won't get a complete picture as most only let you have the car out for 10 minutes on a pre set route yet some like my last one through me the keys and told me to come back when I was ready. I'd suggest to be sure go and test drive one, worst case it's a short drive yet it'll give you an idea, at least then you can make a personal decision.

Fair enough, I think mentioned on here that 50%
don't like the seats, so obviously 50% do like the seats, each to there own. I can certainly understand the "grass isn't always greener" comment as I'm like that with my C207. In the end the choice is yours, good luck. 🙂👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom