Urgent photo help required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

Its my daughters 1st birthday tomorrow and I am putting together a slide show of pictures on a USB stick to play played on screens at the venue.

I have a very odd problem with them, when i put the images (all of which are JPG) on to a USB they initially showed as unknown format.

I then read that I should create a fill called DCIM and put the pictures into that, this has partially worked in that all the images now show, but each image now has almost a duplicate which shows as unreadable.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the duplicates?

Thanks

Tan

Hi

Its my daughters 1st birthday tomorrow and I am putting together a slide show of pictures on a USB stick to play played on screens at the venue.

I have a very odd problem with them, when i put the images (all of which are JPG) on to a USB they initially showed as unknown format.

I then read that I should create a fill called DCIM and put the pictures into that, this has partially worked in that all the images now show, but each image now has almost a duplicate which shows as unreadable.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the duplicates?

Thanks

Tan

Delete them from the memory stick file / folder? or copy all files to your hard drive, delete the erroneous files and copy back?

Delete them from the memory stick file / folder? or copy all files to your hard drive, delete the erroneous files and copy back?

Cant really do that as I can't see any erroneous files, even if i just put one image file in the folder, I get this second file on the TV, its almost like a shadow image.

Tried that a couple of times already and still the same.

Try a different conversion program? What are you using to view them?

Are you using a Mac ?

If so, then the playback system will probably be Windows or Linux based and there will be hidden copy files on your stick with a * prefix to the filename - hence the duplicity.

You can remove these easily on a Windows machine by allowing hidden files to be displayed then deleting them.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about the reason for the duplicity …..

You can also try burning a data CD of the images and then copying them back onto a freshly formatted USB stick.

Are you using a Mac ?

If so, then the playback system will probably be Windows or Linux based and there will be hidden copy files on your stick with a * prefix to the filename - hence the duplicity.

You can remove these easily on a Windows machine by allowing hidden files to be displayed then deleting them.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about the reason for the duplicity …..

You can also try burning a data CD of the images and then copying them back onto a freshly formatted USB stick.

Thanks, I am using a Mac, will try and use a PC

Gentlemen you are legends... As suggested by LTD, put the stick into the PC, allowed showing of hidden files and there were the unreadable images, deleted them and all working perfectly now.

Happy to help - it's what we all do best.

Hope your day goes well - it's a special time for all of you.

Enjoy !!!

As suggested, OSX systems will create a copy of each file prefixed with "._" (e.g. "._IMG001.jpg".

This hideen metadata file allows osx to keep info on the file. Your tv was trying to play this :)

M.

This file anomily can also affect OSX users that create USB sticks for playback in their cars.

It's how I discovered it !!!

Thanks again, yesterday was great and everyone loved the slideshow.

Regards the hidden files, is there a way to see these on a Mac, as I don't always have a PC available.

Regards

Tan

If there is (from the GUI), I don't know it. Keep in mind that to OSX, the two files are really one file. The dot-underscore version is just the metadata fork of the same file. In earlier Mac OS this would be the resource fork.

Finder uses them to store icon information, Time Machine stores some information in them, as do many Apple native apps.

I'm not on an OSX machine now, but you may be able to remove them with terminal. The GUI will just re-create them though... Something like
rm "._*" .
may work... (watch out, that's a REMOVE/DELETE command. Don't use it as it's just an example!)

It's just some of the garbage left around by the OS, which you need to be whipped (with a wet noodle) for as you don't have an entirely Apple-native house. Throw out your inferior television and buy an apple TV, connect that to an Apple monitor - and your troubles will go away. </sarcasm>

M.

EDIT: Forgot to say, by deleting them under windows, you'll find that OSX will use more resources (as it recreated the icons) and you'll lose some time machine data...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom