Vertical adjustment of projector headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jagogen

Car
W209 CLK 220 CDI
I've got some new headlights a few days ago and it does not seem to have a vertical adjustment screw/knob. The seller says it has a built in leveling motor and it should do it automatically. One of the headlights is pointing really low though and I cant find a way to adjust it. Anyone has any knowledge around this?

There should be level sensors on the front and rear axles that tell the control how to set the level. Did the car have xenons before?

The car did not have xenons before, but the previous headlights also had leveling motors. It is also weird that only one of headlights is aimed low and the other one is fine, could it be an installation issue?

Non xenons, halogen headlamps would have vacuum leveling operated by a thumbwheel by the light switch.

You will need the two level sensors, loom, possibly controller and headlamp washers, if you want to pass the next MoT.

The motors are to control the adjustment via the thumb-scroll next to the headlight switch. There should definitely be a screw to move the light up and down.

Non xenons, halogen headlamps would have vacuum leveling operated by a thumbwheel by the light switch.

You will need the two level sensors, loom, possibly controller and headlamp washers, if you want to pass the next MoT.

Pretty sure this is right.
Xenons need axle operated light levellers for MOT.

Pretty sure this is right.
Xenons need axle operated light levellers for MOT.

I'm not sure the OP's are xenon. I've had projectors in the past which are not xenon (HIDs) on my W210

Whether the headlights have auto levelling or thumbwheel levelling (thumbwheel levelling is intended only to slightly LOWER the headlights when towing or heavy loads are in the boot). The headlights still need to be able to be adjusted up/down, left/right, and should be able to be adjusted to MOT standards, if thumbwheel fitted this needs to be in position "0" when adjusted, if auto levelling system and it is the first time its been set up or any part of the auto levelling system has been replaced then it will need calibrating on STAR).
Any headlights regardless of Halogen projector, normal Halogen, Xenon, Bi-Xenon, Bi-Xenon Projector will HAVE to have adjustment in both planes regardless of the type of alignment system fitted, if they don,t then send them back they are not fit for purpose, and personally would not touch aftermarket headlights as my experience is they are ALL Carp, send them back and by a second hand set OEM Projector headlights if you have to have them.

Last edited:
This is what it looks like! Could it be related with how the headlight was mounted? The mounting points had double screws ( a screw within a screw wich I believe is to allow adjustment).

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141113_200319.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141113_200319.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 26
This is what it looks like! Could it be related with how the headlight was mounted? The mounting points had double screws ( a screw within a screw wich I believe is to allow adjustment).

Nope... You are looking for adjustment screws for beam adjustment. You should be using a size 7 Allen key to make the adjustment.

Gone get this checked, as the headlight does not have a vertical manual adjustment. The supplier said it relies on automatic leveling. Gone check if my sensors are OK or if auto-leveling system can be calibrated, if no help, the headlights are going back.

But your vehicle does not have auto levelling, only factory (or fully retrofitted) Xenons do.

It seems your new units are designed for vehicles that have the self levelling feature (sensors on the axles). Having said that, post #8 by andy is spot on and it should still have the ability to be adjusted in all directions. I would suspect they may not be fully legal and if the seller is adamant they cannot be adjusted up and down, send them back

Thank you for you input.
Previous headlights had vacuum driven leveling motors although they weren't xenons(wich could be for in cabin adjustment only, I understand that.). In the new headlights, if you remove the vacuum pipe they will both fall down and after re-connecting it, the left one will have the correct vertical aim and the right one not. If I didn't have automatic leveling how does the left one be correct without adjustment? Also the headlights were specifically advertised as the standard halogen replacement and non compatible with OEM xenons. I think that would be a major flow on them for an E marked product of that kind of money that they wrongly rely on automatic levelling and they don't have manual adjustment. Especially as they seem well build and they hsbe three screws to adjust:
Main beam horizontal
Main beam vertical
Dipped beam horizontal,
Yet they forgot dipped beam vertical? This does not make any sense to me. In any case, I would have them fully adjusted or they are going back as the selling point was based on them being able to pass an MOT. I will update on this later

Do you have a link to them?

Last edited:
This is what the original looked like!

Attachments

• 50213c.jpg
    50213c.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 17
Looking at the image of the new one, the 'inbuilt' leveller is for the vacuum operated thumb scroll which should be used when you have a heavy load in the car and is to move both up/down at the same time. The manufacturer seems to have used this 'feature' to not include a separate up/down adjuster but it is a requirement as you cannot correctly set your dipped beam. I don't think the seller is being dishonest but has simply copied specs from the manufacturer or supplier.

Looking at the image of the new one, the 'inbuilt' leveller is for the vacuum operated thumb scroll which should be used when you have a heavy load in the car and is to move both up/down at the same time. The manufacturer seems to have used this 'feature' to not include a separate up/down adjuster but it is a requirement as you cannot correctly set your dipped beam. I don't think the seller is being dishonest but has simply copied specs from the manufacturer or supplier.

This is now fixed.
After removing the in build vacuum leveler,I discovered that instead of a plastic thumb there is a screw ( god this is a saver to otherwise an unfixable problem). I unscrewed the screw by a few rotations and than inserted it back to the housing. I had to re-engineer the screw a little bit as it would not fit into the housing. I checked with the correctly levelled headlight and both screws were screwed to the same extend. So I think its just poor quality control of an otherwise well build unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom