Volvo V60 D5 205 bhp geartronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Has anyone got any experience of these. Seen one I like the look of but before trekking to view was wondering has anyone driven / owned one? Just getting nervous of my MB. I get the feeling auto shut off valve may be going again. Getting some stuttering. Also had all the brake alerts go off then clear up again 24 hrs later.

All opinions / views appreciated.

Has anyone got any experience of these. Seen one I like the look of but before trekking to view was wondering has anyone driven / owned one? Just getting nervous of my MB. I get the feeling auto shut off valve may be going again. Getting some stuttering. Also had all the brake alerts go off then clear up again 24 hrs later.

Hi Graham. The V60 gets exceedingly good reviews in the press for comfort etc. Never driven one unfortunately however. I have driven a V70 and I rate these for comfort highly.

Re your issues. I suspect you need a new manifold or have it cleaned, the route cause of IPS failure is the oil leak from the turbo but if the manifolds get clogged the linkages from the IPS motor that operate the swirl flaps can break, giving the failure. Also if the motor senses too much resistance in the mechanism, it shuts into limp.

You're on port motor 4? One behind you on port motor three?

Just been to look at one this morning, really nice looking, awesome seats and seating position and drove quiet nicely, a bit crashy, but not Audi bad.
Loved the interior, and the cabin in general, but unfortunately too small for us in the boot, it is tiny.

There are some stupid contract hire deals at the moment, and the sales guy said they are offering discounts of up to £8,000 on new ones as well, £6000 from Volvo UK and another £2k from the dealer, so be very careful buying used.

Think it would be an XC60 for us as we need the space, but the X1 would have to go first.

They also do a powershift gearbox now, which is DSG, and is more efficient than the manual, he said that the mpg jumps from around 35 to 45 compared with the older 'box.

Something to consider.

I test drove one of these along side the V70 before I bought my V70 end of last year. If I'm honest the V60 is a better drivers car feels tighter and I think the turning circle is better D5 engine is an autobahn stormer mines now running at 250 bhp and delivering around 45 mpg with fairly aggressive driving and the V60 should do better.

The only reason I went for the V70 over the V60 is at that time I had the V50 (great car) but lifestyle estate and not much load room and I felt the V60 in terms of space was no real advantage over the V50 so went back to the V70 (this is my 3rd one).

I'm not sure where you are but I can put you in touch with 3 dealers in the country in Cheshire, West Yorkshire and Gloucester who won't be beaten on discount or finance or PCP deals.

If the V60 is big enough for your needs it is a great car and will give many years of trusty service, this is now my 8th Volvo and the only failure I've had on any of their cars was a rear wheel bearing on my Volvo T5 and that was when I was doing a lot of site support work and driving on mine haul roads so for me they have been incredibly reliable.

If I can help any further just shout

Ian

I tested both the D3 and D5 versions over two weekends. In my opinion D3 much better engine if less powerful. D5 very agricultural especially when giving it the beans. Also steering in R design version a bit weird.Very pointy but at same time felt very artificial. Beautiful interior and looks lovely. But in a back to back test still preferred the Merc as its auto gearbox miles ahead of volvo version and the steering is unadulterated with front wheel drive torque steer. Also they can be hard to sell second hand into the trade

I should have also mentioned a fully loaded V70 was over £10k cheaper than the E250 estate I was considering. That really made it a no brainer :D

Couldn't comment on the Auto boxes as I would never buy a car with an auto box. But I think the DSG type box is the one from the Ford stable which I have driven in some of their performance cars and I must admit it is good out of auto mode :thumb:

Have run Volvos for many years now, never had the slightest problem in getting rid of any of them for top money PRIVATELY, diesel estate Volvos are very sought after, don't pay anywhere near list price mind, the last 2 new ones I bought I had around 20% off from a main dealer. The V60 has a really small boot and is less "Volvoey" than previous ones. The only problem I have encountered which was a failed gearbox inards watsit was sorted by Volvo foc without any fuss even though technically it wasn't covered under the warranty.

Nothing but praise for the cars or dealers, no rust either!

I don't think the powershift is available on the D5.
I'm looking at a 6 month old car. Fully loaded - retail price when new (before any discounts) £38000. Its the SE lux premium version. They want £24000 and are offering me £1000 more than any other dealer has. Mileage on the car is 4k so it's hardly used.

Is that a fair price?

I had the old style D5 165 bhp S60 in 2002 and liked it very much. Just hated the turning circle. Is the V60's any better.

I would plan to keep the car 5+ years.

Can't imagine it being less reliable than my Merc. 3 inlet shut off failures. 1 front crankshaft bearing. Had all brake warning lights go off saying no ESP no ABS no cruise no speedtronic no tyre pressure monitoring. All sorted itself 24 hours later. Only the 7tronuc left to go :).

Last edited:
No idea compared to the market, but that is a pretty impressive drop in 6 months.

I'm a fan of Volvo (we know this already), and I do think they are doing a lot of things right at the moment.

crockers said:
I had the old style D5 165 bhp S60 in 2002 and liked it very much. Just hated the turning circle.

I've still got mine - had it since new - and I can offer some piecemeal answers based on that and the newer Volvos I've tried.

I've not driven a V60 but I did have a new S60 for a day last year. It was nice to drive - surprisingly so given that it was the 1.6D DRIVe version, but it wouldn't do for us now because it's even more short of room in the back than my 2002 car. (The V60 has the same problem - and even the V70 isn't what Volvos used to be in terms of passenger space.) And it still required the same two-stage reverse park I've been doing for years in the old S60.

A V70 would still have done for us, though, but it would have been an automatic, for three reasons. One, that's what's available on the nearly-new market we're in; two, the manual is missing the left-footrest that's such a good feature of my S60; and three, the electric handbrake with no hold feature and its apply/release button miles away by the door makes the manual almost unmanageable, especially in a hilly town like ours.

The D3 engine is superb. I've not tried the D5 205 but I don't feel the need to because the D3, even with an automatic, is the equal of my D5 163 in drivability and overtaking urge. And it makes all the right five-cylinder noises, which is nice.

We're not having a V70 - we're after an E220 instead - because my wife hated the automatic. She has a point - it shoots into higher gears the moment you relax your right foot, then down again if you ask it to accelerate even a little, which is exhausting on a twisty road. It really has to be shifted manually everywhere but the motorway, which makes an automatic look a bit silly really. The MB automatic doesn't have this problem, which is why we prefer it.

A V70 would still have done for us, though, but it would have been an automatic, for three reasons. One, that's what's available on the nearly-new market we're in; two, the manual is missing the left-footrest that's such a good feature of my S60; and three, the electric handbrake with no hold feature and its apply/release button miles away by the door makes the manual almost unmanageable, especially in a hilly town like ours.

Manual now has left foot rest or at least mine does, electric handbrake is fully automatic and has hold feature no problem at all as I live in a very hilly area too, also the position is to the right of the boot release which is a very natural and ergonomic place to be your hand just goes straight to it to put it on. Are you sure it was a 2012 model year car you tried with the sensus system? or maybe a base spec that doesn't have the features mine has?

Last edited:
A friend of mine just bought a manual XC60, he didn't have a footrest on that, found it very uncomfortable because of it and so cut his losses after a few months and swapped it for another Discovery.

looks like the footrest may have got added as a late addition in response to customer feedback? nice to know some manufacturers listen to their customers if that is the case:)

This is interesting! The manual cars I've seen - an S80 and a V70 from a dealer's used stock - weren't even the facelifted model with the satin metal on the steering wheel and the dinner-plate badge on the grille. The manual S60 was a new 2011 car last summer, but that didn't even have room for a footrest, which the V70 does.

A footrest and a hill-hold would answer my criticisms of the manual V70. It's still short of rear legroom (I'm tall and my children will be tall teenagers in the time we have this car) compared with the best of the competition from Mercedes, Audi and especially Skoda, but it would be fine for at least four years, and i know I'd be happy and comfortable in it.

Just when you think you know something...
;-)

Just looked at a manual V60. No. Footrest.
I prefer autos so have arranged to view the one I mentioned on Friday. May very well be leaving Mercedes.

Have arranged to see a 6 month old one on Friday. If I like the way it drives then I will most likely be changing. Suppose that would mean I get banned from GTGs or may have to cadge a lift. :D

crockers said:
Have arranged to see a 6 month old one on Friday. If I like the way it drives then I will most likely be changing. Suppose that would mean I get banned from GTGs or may have to cadge a lift. :D

Take it... Start a rebellion :)

I've not driven a V60 but I did have a new S60 for a day last year. It was nice to drive - surprisingly so given that it was the 1.6D DRIVe version, but it wouldn't do for us now because it's even more short of room in the back than my 2002 car. (The V60 has the same problem - and even the V70 isn't what Volvos used to be in terms of passenger space.) And it still required the same two-stage reverse park I've been doing for years in the old S60.

We're not having a V70 - we're after an E220 instead - because my wife hated the automatic. She has a point - it shoots into higher gears the moment you relax your right foot, then down again if you ask it to accelerate even a little, which is exhausting on a twisty road. It really has to be shifted manually everywhere but the motorway, which makes an automatic look a bit silly really. The MB automatic doesn't have this problem, which is why we prefer it.

A couple of points - the new V60 has more rear legroom than the previous V70.

The turning circle on the new V70 is far superior to that of the old one - I suspect the V60 to be similar.

Apparently Volvo automatic gearboxes "learn" your driving style and you find that after a while prompting it to change gear it will get a little bit more to your liking. That is borne out by the new box on mine changing far earlier than it used to due to my gentle driving style.

Extras that make a Volvo a Volvo: kicking stereo - mine has a 13 speaker set up with amps and woofer with speakers everywhere and it truly amazing. Proper seats, it is for sure that the V70 has uber comfy seats, not sure about the V60, the C30 we had certainly wasn't in the same league.

In my opinion Volvo give you a much better ownership experience, Kastner in Exeter make Mercedes in Exeter look like snooty, over charging, lazy, disinterested and unhelpful amateurs. That's why our last 3 cars have been Volvo with only a deviation to VW, as there is no 5 door C30, and the kids need their own doors.

Sorry for the rant. Hope it helps.

I have nothing but praise for the MB dealer in Swindon. Often doing little jobs for no charge. They even "dressed" my tyres when they cleaned after it's service yesterday.
It's just getting less reliable and I'm beginning to lose confidence in taking it on long journeys.

I have phoned the service dept at my local Volvo dealer and they were very helpful answering questions I had even not owning a volvo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom