W115 engine conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattwebb

Car
W201 2.0, w115 240D
Hi there I'm looking to put a new engine into my W115 I won't be carrying out the work myself so there will be a few mechanics that I know reading this thread to see what your suggestions are :)

If I'm totally honest I would like something that is a little bit more reliable with some more power I'm not bothered whether it is diesel or petrol.

The car Was a 200 engine petrol and then at some point has been swapped out for a 240 diesel.

Any suggestions which engines out of any other new work Mercedes would fit would be brilliant I'm thinking maybe something out of a 190e?

Regards
Matt

What about the 280CE M110 twin cam engine ?

185BHP, reliable, and was a part of the engine options in that era / model.

Last edited:
Since the W115 shares its front subframe with the R107 I would suggest an M103 .940 -- the sweet 2.6 6 cylinder as fitted in the W201 and W124 would fit the bill. Simple KE jetronic injection and EZL [ or aftermarket] ignition. V8's are attractive but I don't like "over engined " cars because you then need to start uprating brakes, transmissions and suspension to accommodate the extra performance moving even further from the original concept. :dk:

The 115 shares it's front subframe with the pre-facelift 107's. Those facelift 107's with the M103 have a kink in the main crossmember to allow for the RH sump edge. Not a difficult mod to do but not a straight drop-in.

Front brakes will swap over (gen1 for vented discs, gen 2 for bigger brakes but you'll need to go to 15" wheels).
I'm pretty sure that the rear brakes are the same.

V8 conversions are not straight forward. I've seen an M116 in a W114 engine bay and there is very little space between the engine and the frame rails. I suspect that spacers will be needed to lift the engine in order to clear the manifolds. An M117 will be even harder.

None of those engines are as reliable as the 240D engine.

LHD or RHD? Makes a huge difference, the steering box gets in the way on the RHD and it is exceptionally tight down there.

Budget? Having someone else do it will cost you thousands (easily £5k plus for a non-stock engine). If using someone who has not done it before, either don't or double budget.

Easiest - M110, M130 or M114. The former requires thicker inner wings, the latter pretty much stock.

Last edited:
Since the W115 shares its front subframe with the R107 I would suggest an M103 .940 -- the sweet 2.6 6 cylinder as fitted in the W201 and W124 would fit the bill. Simple KE jetronic injection and EZL [ or aftermarket] ignition. V8's are attractive but I don't like "over engined " cars because you then need to start uprating brakes, transmissions and suspension to accommodate the extra performance moving even further from the original concept. :dk:

I'd consider the 3.0 version of the M103 , or even the M104 ( 300-24 ) version .

If you want period , then the 6 cyl engines as fitted to the W108 , in 2.8 or 3.0 displacements .

LHD or RHD? Makes a huge difference, the steering box gets in the way on the RHD and it is exceptionally tight down there.

Budget? Having someone else do it will cost you thousands (easily £5k plus for a non-stock engine). If using someone who has not done it before, either don't or double budget.

Easiest - M110, M130 or M114. The former requires thicker inner wings, the latter pretty much stock.

Labour isn't a cost as it's all being done as a trade etc :) it's RHD

I would stay well clear of an M110. Unless you get a really good one they're a bag of bones with no low-down power and a greed for the go-juice that's unparalleled in any other Merc power unit.

I would stay well clear of an M110. Unless you get a really good one they're a bag of bones with no low-down power and a greed for the go-juice that's unparalleled in any other Merc power unit.

Back in the day I owned a 280CE M110.....the engine was a a very popular engine across the range of Mercs and the power output was OK for it's time in Merc history.

Agreed that they were juicy, but in that era so was every other 2.8 and above engine, and if you were concerned about the amount of fuel you use, you wouldn't buy such a large engine.

However, like every other engine of that era, they have to be kept in tune and and in good service condition, and they are, in my opinion from having owned one, a solid engine.

Whatever engine you decide to use, regardless of if it is an M110 or not, I would presume it would be recoditioned prior to fitting to ensure you have a good engine.

Last edited:
A friend has had his M110 converted to AMG spec, which really rockets. In W114 form it weighs a couple of hundred kilos less than an R107, so thats a lot of bulk saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom