• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 230TE ignition coil help needed

Klaus013

Car
W124 230TE year 1986
Need some help as I replaced the coil on my W124 230 TE year 1986 but did not mark all the wires.
Is there someone who has a similar coil that can check where these connect or else send me a photo of their coil? Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_20170526_163055-1.jpg
    IMG_20170526_163055-1.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20170526_163036-1.jpg
    IMG_20170526_163036-1.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20170526_163010-1.jpg
    IMG_20170526_163010-1.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 16
You will find that the poles on the coil the one is large and other is small and the leads will only go one way . Unless some one as fitted othe leads on the like for the alarm. .

Got it mate the wires are like mine on the 260e
On the large M6 -screw no 15 on the coil you have a double wire pink and red
m6 - screw no 15 on the coil you have 1 red and black wire

On the small M5 screw on no 1 on the coil you have 1 green wire
M5 screw on no 1 on the coil you have 1 black wire
But then check the hole in the brass contacts on the end of each of the wires they should go on the m6 or m5 poles on the coil. Looking at the picture i would say that red and black go on to the larger of the poles on the M6 screw no 15 Please let me know if it is any help to you ..

Last edited:
info

This might help you to sort it out see picture -
The brass conecters on the end of the wire have small hole for M 5 pole on the coil And the large hole in the brass conectoron the end of the wire is for the large M6 ploe on the coil . Loks as if you only removed 2 wires red and black

Last edited:
Hi optimusprime, thanks for your reply. The problem I have are the black and brown wire shown in my photo that are not yet connected and have big holes (about 8mm). What wires do you have connected to the earth bolt holding the coil in place?

I will need to go out later to the car and look if i can see them .They may be earth leads,but some brown wires are live in places . So you have the leads fitted on to the coil . But not the 2 your talking about .I will check the manual for those wires ,.

Most of the coil setups I have looked at seem to obey the same format as this
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1987/190E/WIRING DIAGRAMS/3005.pdf

There are 3 wires to the main power connector
1 is a fused [ live on ignition switch on]+ve 12v supply to the coil to which 2 other lines are connected 2nd leads to the ignition switching unit EZL or the less sophisticated ignition switching unit [ basically coil switched to ground via the unit] and 3rd to 12v supply for the diagnostic socket.

on the other connection 2 wires one of which leads to the ignition unit and the other to a negative on the diagnostic connector.
so basically a 12volt supply + the ignition switching unit acros s the coil and a positive and negative connection to the diagnostic socket---???????

Last edited:
Grober good link .The 2 wires in question are the peoblem black and brown wires with 8mm hole in the conector ring on the end of the wires .These both bolt to the base of the coil on one of the holding bolts i think i have yet to check that out .I do remember the wires but the location is not to clear .

Last edited:
Looks as if thats the place for them .I fund out about the brown and it is an earth leead i would not like to say about the black one till i check mine .And i am still in bed at the moment .Had a late night last night . This is just why i use a camera every time i do a complicated job .Remove it and picture it ,.Makes the job easy . Only know about the coil wires because i purchased a coil off the bay , and when it came the wires were still on it just cut off.So i knew where they went .But not the brown and black . Those are in the engine compartment loom ..

Hi, connected both wires to the earth bolt and car started on first try. Thanks all for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom