W124 500E - put a deposit down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As it's the earlier car I presume you have the smaller discs? Could try the 320x30mm discs from the later car, they're thick and left/right handed. I have the same discs on the SL, they're fine but the standard MB pads aren't much cop and give out far too easily - Pagid RS or similar should fix that.

Otherwise you're into AP or Brembo kits, which are big money. I wouldn't touch K-Sports, witnessed too many problems in the past with them.
Hi - yes I do have the smaller 300mm pre-facelift brakes up front. I've tried to find a second hand set of larger, 320mm calipers and discs (off an SL600) with no success from breakers yards. I think the new price from MB would put me in the territory of modifying a BBK from another car.

Thanks for the tip on the pads - I currently have the standard MB pads and they're no good when you're really pushing on.

It's not just the V12 that has them, they became standard fitment on v8 models after a certain date (mine has them for example) so hopefully that will considerably expand your availability.

The handed discs are pretty reasonably priced from Mercedes. To the best of my knowledge the steering knuckle is the same so this would imply it's the calipers that are slightly different to reflect the larger disc. However, I can grab some measurements from mine if that helps?

I've completely destroyed at least 2 sets of pads now, I think Olly is getting used them disintegrating when removed. :doh:

Last edited:
It's not just the V12 that has them, they became standard fitment on v8 models after a certain date (mine has them for example) so hopefully that will considerably expand your availability.

The handed discs are pretty reasonably priced from Mercedes. To the best of my knowledge the steering knuckle is the same so this would imply it's the calipers that are slightly different to reflect the larger disc. However, I can grab some measurements from mine if that helps?

I've completely destroyed at least 2 sets of pads now, I think Olly is getting used them disintegrating when removed. :doh:
Measurements would be good mate, unfortuatly I think only the SL600 ATE calipers work with the 500E as a direct bolt on - I have a larger set off a CL500 but they don't fit unfortunatly.

Do you know which V8's directly work with the 500E? That would be helpful to widen the search fella. Ideally i'd like a set of Silver Arrow calipers and discs, would need larger LCA's too so makes it a big job.

I've seen a few 500E's wearing Porsche calipers front and back - any idea of how difficult this sort of mod really is?

Cheers, B.

I was referring specifically to the 129s. If I'm reading the EPC correctly, the 320mm brake setup was shared between the 600, SL60, and 500s with ESP (mine is a 1995 model). There's a lot more 500s to choose from, so hopefully that'll open up your options.

Porsche calipers will be a case of making up a caliper spacer to suit - depending on the space it needs to fill it'll be somewhere between average and a complete pig.

Yes mate sold it. On the lookout for a black E500 Limited. Got such a quick sale and a very good price - I was happy and did not want the car sitting around while I was away.

How much did you get can you say...??

Yes mate sold it. On the lookout for a black E500 Limited. Got such a quick sale and a very good price - I was happy and did not want the car sitting around while I was away.

:eek::eek::eek::fail:fail:fail

A few final photos my cousin sent me before the transporter came and collected her :eek::eek::eek:

End of chapter - onto the next one.

Cheers,

Bill

Amazing ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom