W202 bonnet cable has snapped!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amg3.6

Car
C55 Amg White W202
As above cable has snapped with bonnet shut luckly the headlights and bumper are off the car how can i open the bonnet?

If you can reach in through the headlamp aperture you may be able to reach and release the bonnet catch in the front panel?

Ive tried to get my hand in but i cant feel anything that moves.

Hi DEC

year is 1998.

The most economical way in is to destroy part of the grill and replace it later, you could try the homemade key in the link below, unfortunately the car pictured is a 1995, I don’t think it will work on yours as the hole is in the wrong place on a 1998 car.

See… Bonnet Stuck - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Dec

Where did the cable snap, Red handle in cabin or under bonnet latch?
If the Red handle is broken then you might be able to pull the cable with a pliers.

Dec

Under bonnet i pulled on the cable and all of it has come out.

To unlock the bonnet, a lever has to be pulled inside the lock, to the driver side, normally the cable pulls the lever.

As the cable is broken, the only way to move the lever in order to unlock the bonnet is with a wire key poked into the bonnet lock as described in the link above.

To get to the bonnet lock, maybe it’s possible to reach up from under as the front bumper is removed, if not then it would seem the only way in is through the grill.

Dec

Last edited:
There's no space really from underneath. The black plastic which goes around the lock wouldn't it be better to try and get that off so we can see the lock?

The Black plastic which goes around the lock won’t come off, not until the slam panel is first removed, to do that the bonnet has to be open. If you have air con then its even more difficult, the car in pictures doesn’t have air con.

Apart from the “key” trick, the only way I see to get at the lock is to cut the Black plastic which goes around the lock away with a hacksaw blade, to do this you will need to make an opening in the grill about the size of a cigarette packet. You would be taking out 2 slats which are plastic… on mine anyway.

I have full sight of this on my car and there doesn’t seem any other way in, its either the “key” or cut with a hacksaw blade.

Dec

I will try that got no choice really i didnt want to cut the grill but got to now.

Same thing happened yesterday with another new member who posted links to the same website as this guy. I reported them all, but nothing has been done yet.

Admin & Mods must be down the pub. (Only joking).

Sorted the bonnet out didnt cut the grill I drilled every so carefully on the black plastic which goes around the latch. Then i used a coat hanger and popped bonnet up no damage done.

Well done never thought of doing it that way, be aware there is an alarm sensor incorporated inside the bonnet lock.

Dec
Mercedes C180 Bonnet Switch Sensor W202 2028206210 Genuine | eBay
$(KGrHqFHJ!0FH6lWZ7i)BSFb9vp1jg~~60_57.JPG

taica3 is a spammer by the looks of it. Link is to paid games web site. stay clear of link. My Anti Virus software stopped it. T.

I missed the bonnet switch sensor i roughly made the hole in the middle of the plastic and then used the hanger to go up and over into the latch. No damage at all apart from the hole but the main thing is bonnet is sorted and am relieved its sorted. I can carry on with my MODS now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom