w202 boot opens at mach 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emeye

Car
C207 E350 cdi
The boot on my 2000 plate w202 opens at a tremendous speed - so fast I worry it's going to go through the rear window! :eek:

Is it meant to come up so quick? I've had a search, but can only find threads from people complaining that the boot isn't opening on its own any more.

Cheers.

My 209 is just the same. Quite explosive. Just be sure not to leave anything fragile on the boot lid.

Check which slot the assisters are in and you should be able to reduce the tension.

The boot lid spring attaches to a bracket. Unfortunately, this bracket has a tendency to break. The quick and dirty repair - I know this because I have done it - is to attach the spring to a hole in the remaining part of the bracket. It is this that gives the coming-up-like-billyo effect.

My solution is to keep a hand on the top of the boot lid when I'm opening it.

At one point Mercedes made a repair kit but they seemed to have stopped doing that and, as I understand it, it was extraordinarily expensive. There is a US company that has designed a repair kit themselves but I have yet to hear any reports on its effectiveness.

The boot lid spring attaches to a bracket. Unfortunately, this bracket has a tendency to break. The quick and dirty repair - I know this because I have done it - is to attach the spring to a hole in the remaining part of the bracket. It is this that gives the coming-up-like-billyo effect.

My solution is to keep a hand on the top of the boot lid when I'm opening it.

My experience & solution exactly. Before the bracket broke, the boot used to open very gracefully. The noise when it snapped was very scary too :eek:.

Mine has been like it from new. Does that mean it was already broken?

my boot opens just a bit in a tilted angle with my remote.
is this wrong?

my mechanic told me this could be adjusted to fully open???

my boot opens just a bit in a tilted angle with my remote.
is this wrong?

my mechanic told me this could be adjusted to fully open???

Not sure but I think there have been threads on that topic, or at least it has been mentioned in threads. A forum search might reveal something.

Here's a link to USA ebay item. Take a look at the write up at the bottom.
I haven't checked for UK sellers, but there may be some.

W202 Trunk Lid Hinge repair kit for Mercedes Benz c-class c230 c280 c220 c36 c43 | eBay

Thanks - looks interesting. You get a pack of two connectors delivered here for approx £39, so if another UK W202 owner is interested we could do a mini-group buy, i.e. I'll buy a set, keep one connector for my own use and send you the spare one for half what it cost me + UK P&P. Anyone?

Aswell as what has been mentioned already, if the hazard triangle is missing from the bootlid then the bootlid goes up alot quicker :thumb:

Aswell as what has been mentioned already, if the hazard triangle is missing from the bootlid then the bootlid goes up alot quicker :thumb:

Ah, that's interesting as my triangle is missing - I've been looking to source a replacement from ebay but can't work out which one I need as there appear to be a few different ones claiming to be for the w202.

Bought a secondhand Warning Triangle off eBay today. Fingers crossed it solves the problem.

Well, the Warning Triangle turned up today. In very good condition and just needed a clean. I'm pleased that I appear to have bought the correct one as it slotted right in.

And you know what? It does seem to have sorted my supersonic boot opening! :)

Well, the Warning Triangle turned up today. In very good condition and just needed a clean. I'm pleased that I appear to have bought the correct one as it slotted right in.

And you know what? It does seem to have sorted my supersonic boot opening! :)

Nice one, I said it would :thumb:

Thanks - looks interesting. You get a pack of two connectors delivered here for approx £39, so if another UK W202 owner is interested we could do a mini-group buy, i.e. I'll buy a set, keep one connector for my own use and send you the spare one for half what it cost me + UK P&P. Anyone?

For anyone interested, I took the plunge and ordered the hinge repair kit from the US seller on eBay. He seems a helpful guy, emailed the fitting instructions and offered to help if I had any problems on installation.

I fitted the connector today and it definitely helps. If anything the boot now opens slightly too slowly, but I can adjust that by repositioning the spring in one of the other two holes nearer the boot entrance.

Do what I did, ask a mate to see if he can see the fine scratch on the boot lid, then pop the boot :D

Hopefully he will have good dental insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom