W204 C-Class test drive (Part 2 - with Pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My personal feelings at the start, within 2 hrs of getting the car were - no way, I am not going to go for this... which at the end of the test drive changed to, yeh, I like this car, I could live with it as a respectable company car.
I drove several different cars on 2/3 day test drives before I got my current car and I think every time, by the end if the test, I'd come to the conclusion that I could have lived with the car. I guess that's why manufacturers offer extended tests - I reckon that you just sort of settle in to the car.
However, the price tag may raise a questions/doubts, as the basice C220 CDi Sport which I had did not even have the PDC. So by the time I specc'd one up it would be comfortably over the £31k.
I've slightly lost touch with CO2 levels etc now (as I've opted out of company cars) but the killer with MB's was that their CO2 was always high. Coupled with highish P11D values and the tax burden looks horrible.

I love it. It looks so modern and not as boring as the previous model that was desperate for a change of clothes..

I think Vauxhall also got it right with the new astra. I mean the previous astra models looked dated, would have not been out of place in a 70's film.

However...ahem..er, is it just me, or does knowone else think this new merc is a ringer for the three series bmw ?.

.. all the merc hating bmwers are going to have to face their fears, face the music and just accept ...do I really want to look like the proud owner of a bmw :D

Re The Astra - wait until you drive one - I thought that a 1600 should have a bit of go - what a bag of junk , controls notchy and horrible - though the boot lock did look quite nice.

Re The Astra - wait until you drive one - I thought that a 1600 should have a bit of go - what a bag of junk , controls notchy and horrible - though the boot lock did look quite nice.

I had an Astra 1.8 auto for several weeks.

It was a good drive. Cruise control buttons are not great (but then IMHO MB have this done properly by sticking it on a stalk).

Sport mode button was an interestingly useless diversion.

It passed the Dryce switcharoo test which happens when I get back in my MB after several days of using another car. Switching back from the Astra and the MB didn't feel so special as compared with switching back from
a Focus 2.0 or Corolla 1.6.

I had an Astra 1.8 auto for several weeks.

It was a good drive. Cruise control buttons are not great (but then IMHO MB have this done properly by sticking it on a stalk).

Sport mode button was an interestingly useless diversion.

It passed the Dryce switcharoo test which happens when I get back in my MB after several days of using another car. Switching back from the Astra and the MB didn't feel so special as compared with switching back from
a Focus 2.0 or Corolla 1.6.

It passed the Dryce Switcharoo test... :eek:

I guess that means that either MB is doing something seriously wrong or the competition is getting better.... I guess that is a debate in itself...

But for MB - its is "supposed" to be a class above the rest - sitting inside the W204, is not a special feeling.... parked up alongside others yes... however, I don't know if that is a novelty factor which will wear off as more and more end up on the roads....

I had a look around the new C at the dealers it did nothing for me it has not got the panache of the previous model (which had a sort of timeless look about it) , it is astra,ish around the lights. It also has a poor interior even the MB guys dont like it. All previous Cs have looked like a mini S class, the new S is not exactly drop dead gorgeous so that might be the reason. Is it just me that does not like it?

gary

I had a look around the new C at the dealers it did nothing for me it has not got the panache of the previous model (which had a sort of timeless look about it) , it is astra,ish around the lights. It also has a poor interior even the MB guys dont like it. All previous Cs have looked like a mini S class, the new S is not exactly drop dead gorgeous so that might be the reason. Is it just me that does not like it?

gary

no , not at all. I love the C class. Ive owned 7 of the previous models and loved every min of them. I cannot stand this one. It wouldnt even enter onto my list of possibles. EVER! The C63 kinda caught my attention but the only saving grace for that is the engine and im sure i could get a good deal on an E63 to make me feel better about the car i would be driving about in.

Its a complete dog , wait till next year and im sure the fourcourts will be littered with them and 8% + off list if that discount isnt avalible already.

I think MB will facelift this version quite quickly. The design details which are letting it down will be removed and enhanced...lights, dash etc. Looking forward to 2010?!

I would personally at some point consider the W204 Sports Edition (AMG body kit/alloys as in the pics) but am not yet keen on the non Sports Edition W204s. :crazy:

no , not at all. I love the C class. Ive owned 7 of the previous models and loved every min of them. I cannot stand this one. It wouldnt even enter onto my list of possibles. EVER! The C63 kinda caught my attention but the only saving grace for that is the engine and im sure i could get a good deal on an E63 to make me feel better about the car i would be driving about in.

Its a complete dog , wait till next year and im sure the fourcourts will be littered with them and 8% + off list if that discount isnt avalible already.

I wouldn't be so harsh on it... I had negatives opions when I first got into it...but two days of driving it - I put it into the "possibles" list...

You really need to drive it, the standard models look boring, no real appeal for me - but it would have to be a sport edition.

It'll grow on you....

Heard the same comment yesterday.

Sometimens that is the sign of a well designed car, one that you at first don't like due to it pushing the boundaries, then it grows on you and you really like it as it's fresh.

I just think the steering wheel looks cheap, sort of too close to a 3 series.

Sometimens that is the sign of a well designed car, one that you at first don't like due to it pushing the boundaries, then it grows on you and you really like it as it's fresh.

JC makes a similar sort of statement regarding BMWs in the Sunday Times.

Oh my God the wife likes the car. One thing that I do like is the colours particulary the light grey Met (no not silver).

gary

That explains my changed views of the Nissan Micra 1.2 auto.

Came up behind a silver one today....asked the wife what she thought and she said - its ok for a Honda.....felt it needed to be more distinctive...

Was he drunk at the time?:)

Curiously he also made a reference to BMW styling and Kia.

He made a similar association in the previous W204 article.

That goes with the BMW / MB convergence theory but his theory is perhaps more sophisticated because it is a three way BMW / MB / Kia convergence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom