• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W210 E230 any good?

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
As per my other thread regarding getting a bigger car for commuting, I've seen an E230 for sale nearby. It's pretty old and probably wouldn't be my first choice but it looks tidy and it's not a lot of money.

Given that I'm not looking for something to thrash (I've got the SLK for that :devil:), is 150 BHP enough to haul along a big car like this, and what sort of fuel consumption is likely?

Cheers,

Gaz

It'll be horrible to drive - not enough torque to lug along a W210 IMHO.

V6 petrol or a diesel would be my advice :)

If running costs are an issue, maybe a step down to a W202 sized car would help - smaller engine, less weight to lug.

I'd like to protest here - the 2,3 L M111 is not at all a bad choice for the 210 if you are not in a hurry. It has almost exactly the same torque as the small V6 without its thirst for petrol.

The W210 sedan is not a heavy car, with the lightest engine it weighs about the same as a W203 C class does, with the M271 four-pot.

EDIT I misread the 1:st post - i thought it said "for my mother" whereas on closer inspection it says "as per my other".
If it indeed isn't for your mother you might want to test drive it first.

Last edited:
I've had two w210 e230,s and both let go of the gearbox. The engine it's self is pretty good not the quickest car around but a plodder.
My dad has a w202c class with the m111 2.0 engine in and it just keeps going 225'000 miles he loves it.

I will also stand up for the 230.....its perfectly quick enough, and that non kompressor 2.3 engine is bullet proof and better on fuel that the thirsty 240.

Well honestly, the W210 E230 is not a sports sedan so power wise it could get sluggish at times given it's a 2.1 tonne car including me. But after I did and engine overhaul along with the rebuilt of the 722.4 auto transmission. It's actually sufficient enough for me.

Usually about 3 quarters of a tank of fuel gets me about 360KM - 400Km city mix with highway. But before any overhauling was done, it's hungry for gas haha. 16 years and still running.

Am currently running on Shell's 5W40 engine oil with 95 RON.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
D J

As per my other thread regarding getting a bigger car for commuting, I've seen an E230 for sale nearby. It's pretty old and probably wouldn't be my first choice but it looks tidy and it's not a lot of money.

Given that I'm not looking for something to thrash (I've got the SLK for that :devil:), is 150 BHP enough to haul along a big car like this, and what sort of fuel consumption is likely?

Cheers,

Gaz

If it drives well, all in relatively good nick and priced accordingly ... buy it and use it as intended, it's a nice sized comfortable cruiser that will do the miles. Seems like a 'no brainer' to me if your dead set on a Mercedes. :thumb:

Three things to check for; rust, rust and rust...

If it comes with a year's MoT, and it's cheap enough just to scrap it if necessary when the MoT runs out, go for it.

Deleted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom