W211 Command Sat Nav Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can I dive in here quickly and ask what the benefits are of a firmware update of NTG-1 whilst continuing to use the original disc?

My S211 has version 6.0 MY2007, now I'm considering buying V12 which I assume will have all up to date firmware updates on the disc anyway but what dya get if you stick with 6.0 but download the firmware from the above link?

Navigation discs have firmware updates for the navigation processor.

The update discussed in post #5 of this thread is for the Comand headunit. Poster already stated what benefit you will get from it.

Right, well there ya go, confusion in the discussion reigns!

So how does one tell what software you are running in the Comand unit and is this the sort of thing that MB would update at services?

Mine has full MBSH up till the point I bought it recently so is it likely to be up to date and how do I check?

Cheers in advance!! :)

Well, after all that, I braced myself and inserted the disc, which prompted a 'disc error' message on the screen. Do they prefer + or - cds, or shouldn't it make a difference?

I notice an ipod adapter kit is mentioned on another thread, and mine has an an aux socket fitted already. Do the ipod adapters give full functionality of the ipod through the unit head unit? All these questions! I reckon COMAND warrants its own section - such a minefield, and thanks to you guys who know what you are talking about for your advice.

Well, after all that, I braced myself and inserted the disc, which prompted a 'disc error' message on the screen. Do they prefer + or - cds, or shouldn't it make a difference?

I notice an ipod adapter kit is mentioned on another thread, and mine has an an aux socket fitted already. Do the ipod adapters give full functionality of the ipod through the unit head unit? All these questions! I reckon COMAND warrants its own section - such a minefield, and thanks to you guys who know what you are talking about for your advice.

+ and - referers to blank/recordable DVD discs - having a read of this (and judging by the file size) you want to put these on CD-R discs (I wouldnt advise CD-RW as most devices have problems reading these).

Just a quick note, I tried to update the NTG1 firmware by burning the image onto a CDR, but it threw up a disc error too.

However the worst bit was that the CDR refused to eject and was stuck in the comand HU. So after a quick visit to the overseas MB forum, I banged my fist against the dvd drive slot whilst pressing "eject" and thank god it came out! It was also mentioned in the forums that the comand HU doesn't like CDRs (something to do with the thickness apparently) so be careful!

Thanks peeps. It was a CD-R that I first tried, and I've since tried a DVD +R, but still getting disc error. At least it didn't get stuck in the head unit!

Are you following the update procedure below as on the link? If so make sure the cd is finalized.

Update procedure

Turn ignition on.

Ensure that there is no disc in the head unit
drive.

To start software update press 1, 3 and 8 at the
same time.

Insert service update disc.

After confirming the new software version the
update will start automatically.

After the update is completed, turn ignition off
and lock the car. Wait until instrument cluster turns off.

Bu**er, no I didn't. :eek: Thanks again, I'll give it another go.

I managed to 'update' the software yesterday, thanks to npuk's help again. It didn't like the CD I had burned, but worked with the DVD+, fwiw. My question now is; could someone please confirm that the update I have installed from the link above actually supersedes the version that I already had installed with the disc Europe version 8, part no 211 827 1565? The reason I ask is because the graphics appear to be much more basic.

The firmware updates on the nav disc are for the nav processor not the Comand unit.

The 044 code is a red herring. It appears on some datacards stating as you have said but it is very misleading as it has nothing to do with NTG 2.5 being in the car.
My datacard list the 044 option, obviously it cannot be NTG2.5 as the car is 2004.
Think I found what might be the explanation here: "Ausstattungscode" 044

044 is heated windscreen washer (in German: Scheibenwaschanlage beheizt)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom