• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W211 E320 CDI Brabus D6 Box vs Aftermarket Remap

Woody75

Car
W211 E320 CDI
Interested to hear people's thoughts on this subject. There are a lot of threads around the D6 Brabus tuning box and how having one didn't void any warranties etc, as the car is now 16 years old I'm not concerned about that, it's more useability. The car is fairly low mileage at 55K, and it drives superbly but does suffer from some flat spots, I'd like to make it a bit more driveable and encourage a few more ponies to come along for the ride.

I've never tuned any of my previous cars but with this being a low mileage turbo diesel, it does seem to be an ideal candidate.

My local remapping place is Surrey Tuning Automotive Ltd, I know nothing about them but they do seem to have very good reviews.

Keen for some advice from people who have taken this route before.

Cheers,
Woody

A few years ago, I considered a tuning box for my W211 E320 cdi but got it remapped after discussion with my Indy.
It was carried out by Eco Vehicle Tuning who are in W Sussex using a Celtic Tuning map.
Inexpensive Stage 1 performance & economy. Smoothened power delivery, quite a bit more oomph & better fuel economy (claimed 204 to 265 bhp, 369 to 418 lbft).
Very happy with it.

If the engine has "flat spots" then I would address these before any tuning.

A few years ago, I considered a tuning box for my W211 E320 cdi but got it remapped after discussion with my Indy.
It was carried out by Eco Vehicle Tuning who are in W Sussex using a Celtic Tuning map.
Inexpensive Stage 1 performance & economy. Smoothened power delivery, quite a bit more oomph & better fuel economy (claimed 204 to 265 bhp, 369 to 418 lbft).
Very happy with it.
Thanks mate, appreciate the reply.

I contacted my local firm and he's saying and increase to 260hp and an increase of 60nm of torque, at a cost of £295 all in which seems reasonable.

I've just dropped a message to the one you've suggested down in Chichester as that tune seems a little more aggressive/optimistic in terms of promised increases. I'll see what they come back with in terms of price, but glad to hear that your experience has been a positive one.

If the engine has "flat spots" then I would address these before any tuning.
The car itself had only done 400 miles in the last 3 years, owned by an older lady so I imagine it's been stood for long periods of time and never really experienced any spirited driving.

I've recently added some redex diesel treatment to a full tank of new diesel and it's now much, much better as the new fuel is working its way through the system.

The car itself had only done 400 miles in the last 3 years, owned by an older lady so I imagine it's been stood for long periods of time and never really experienced any spirited driving.

I've recently added some redex diesel treatment to a full tank of new diesel and it's now much, much better as the new fuel is working its way through the system.
I was vaguely tempted to get my E320 mapped but as it has covered 173,000 miles on, as far as I know, it's original Turbocharger, I might be tempting fate! 🤔

I was vaguely tempted to get my E320 mapped but as it has covered 173,000 miles on, as far as I know, it's original Turbocharger, I might be tempting fate! 🤔
This car is beautifully original and almost showroom fresh, so I want to make sure I don't go introducing issues or looking for issues that don't currently exist. I bought it to waft about in with the intention of having some cheap(ish) and reliable motoring for a few years whilst I finish off my house project but it's slowly sucking me in with the idea of making it OEM+ :rolleyes:

I installed a D6 on my 211 320CDI and was thinking the same as you (box or remap). I ended up with the box after a bit of man maths .... i.e. if I sell the box before I sell the car, I haven't lost any money but enjoyed all the performance. However, I will probably end up leaving it on the car as I really cba taking it off!

I installed a D6 on my 211 320CDI and was thinking the same as you (box or remap). I ended up with the box after a bit of man maths .... i.e. if I sell the box before I sell the car, I haven't lost any money but enjoyed all the performance. However, I will probably end up leaving it on the car as I really cba taking it off!
Good to know that it has performed well for you, I was looking back at all the Brabus D6 threads and they seem to be favoured well here on the forum. Unfortunately, all the embedded links for installation instructions appear to be broken now so I'd be a bit apprehensive about buying one from the bay and having a go myself unless of course it came with the instructions. Where do you position it in the w211 engine bay, under the top engine cover or does it clip in somewhere else?

Having tried a D6 on my W212, I can confirm that they initially rock, but I had issues, and Brabus themselves confirmed to me that after "a while" the fuel pump etc can't keep up with the demand of the box, so I would need either new fuel pumps (and other bits) or remove the box.

I previously had a CLS320 which was remapped by Angel Tuning before I bought it, and that occasionally caused the gearbox a few stutter issues as well (if you hoofed it).

Conversely a BSR remap on my (manual) Volvo S60 was totally bloody amazing.

Having tried a D6 on my W212, I can confirm that they initially rock, but I had issues, and Brabus themselves confirmed to me that after "a while" the fuel pump etc can't keep up with the demand of the box, so I would need either new fuel pumps (and other bits) or remove the box.

I previously had a CLS320 which was remapped by Angel Tuning before I bought it, and that occasionally caused the gearbox a few stutter issues as well (if you hoofed it).

Conversely a BSR remap on my (manual) Volvo S60 was totally bloody amazing.
Thanks mate, I appreciate the info.

Following user Kudly's advice, I reached out to the tuning firm in West Sussex and I'm now likely to have it remapped using a Celtic Tunning map of ~ 290BHP, although I'd happily settle for less if it improved reliability.

So I finally got around to taking the car down to ECO Tuning in Chichester today where Simon applied a Celtic Tuning Stage 1 Remap. The experience was very pleasant and I cannot recommend Simon highly enough, a very knowledgeable and friendly guy. I took the car for a test drive before any money changed hands and the grin factor was instant. The 50 mile drive back to Horley was fun too, and I think I managed to brake just in time when I spotted the mobile camera van late on the A27.

Overall the car just feels much more responsive and driveable and the MPG had improved compared to the trip down, although to be fair I did hit the Goodwood traffic on the way this morning. Whether this is better than fitting a D6 Box I can't say but for an all-in cost of £275 I thought it represented good value and is easy enough to reverse in the future if needed.

Cool...but ignore the mpg reading on the dash and check it tank top to tank top. Both the times I had a derv mapped it threw the dash reading miles out. When I had a petrol done the reading stayed fairly accurate. I don't think that the dash "knows" about the extra diesel being injected. In reality both of mine were much the same mpg after the map as before if you drove the same....but a but worse if you used the extra power too much!.....can't beat physics! Yes a good remap feels like you have a different engine fitted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom