W211 rear spring replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you get this done without the use of a trolley, bar and strap - or dropping the subframe - or disconnecting the inboard end of the wishbone, you'll have worked a minor miracle.
Be interested to know if it's physically possible without the foregoing.
Let us know.

Will do.

Have become a bit of an arm chair expert here sorry chaps.

Before attempting these sort of jobs I like to read around the subject a little first as you do. The rationale was that I can get the spring compressor for less than 2 hours garage time that I was quoted then still retain value in the tool either by selling it on or being able to use it again.

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew mind!

Wish me luck, I'll probably need it.

Chris

You sound circumspect enough to be able take care of anything that might crop up.
Enjoy the challenge - it's not difficult, just tight.

Well chaps, the day has arrived and can report a resounding success! :rock:

Spring compressor arrived £95 worth seems to be of OK quality for the money.

Closed box
DSC_0091_zpsoaduyglk.jpg

Open Box
DSC_0093_zpshopso5v1.jpg

Dry run on the new spring needed the smaller of the 2 cups
DSC_0089_zpsxgenfcx8.jpg

Lets make a start :thumb:
DSC_0094_zpszp1hjhpz.jpg

Horrible old spring. This is obviously the nearside, I started with this side in case the fuel filler pipe was in the way on the other side. Needed to hone my skills.
DSC_0095_zpsc72fe16a.jpg

Inserted the compression tool after first removing the plastic cover from the bottom of the wishbone, which is held on with 2 plastic rivet things. I then had to jack up the wishbone to compress the spring to make it as parallel as I could to get the tool up the middle.

2 Plates in and the spring is compressed. I now remove the bolt from the bottom of the shock absorber and the bolt from the bottom of the anti roll bar drop link.

I then jack the wishbone down using my trolley jack. A bottle jack or scissor jack would probably be better for this.
DSC_0097_zps39978e78.jpg

Spring is wiggled out compressed
DSC_0096_zps924444da.jpg

Then released showing broken bit at bottom.
DSC_0098_zpsb26a2f2f.jpg

The bottom cup is cleared of all grit and debris and the new spring is compressed and fitted
DSC_0099_zps74964bb8.jpg

The positioning of the compression plates is critical as on this attempt I managed to get the bottom one trapped between the spring and the wishbone which prolonged the job.

I then moved to the offside and repeated the process, the fuel filler pipe is miles out of the way and did not impede this side one bit.

In all a relatively easy job - but all the time I was acutely aware of the stored energy in the comressed spring and kept my pinkies well clear as far as possible.

In which case, you're 'with' me.
Seems Shorty's not thinking of the W211 back end here - there is no rear-shock 'top mount' (it's just bolted to the wing) - and to provide sufficient wiggle-room, the shock needs to come out completely anyway.
But there's no way just unbolting the shock topbolt will allow enough wishbone angle to get the new spring in - that b*tch needs some serious leverage.
Im most defiantly thinking of the 211

I have worked on them since 2003 , and have owned one as well .

The top bolt for the shock bolts through the inner wing and is assessed via the boot .

Unbolting the top mount for the shock will allow the suspension to be levered down with a long bar .

If you want to adjust the ride hight , there are plastic discs on the spring top mount can be add or removed .

I was fitting custom made springs to allow extra ride height of Limousines .

Well chaps, the day has arrived and can report a resounding success! :rock:

Spring compressor arrived £95 worth seems to be of OK quality for the money.

Closed box
DSC_0091_zpsoaduyglk.jpg

Open Box
DSC_0093_zpshopso5v1.jpg

Dry run on the new spring needed the smaller of the 2 cups
DSC_0089_zpsxgenfcx8.jpg

Lets make a start :thumb:
DSC_0094_zpszp1hjhpz.jpg

Horrible old spring. This is obviously the nearside, I started with this side in case the fuel filler pipe was in the way on the other side. Needed to hone my skills.
DSC_0095_zpsc72fe16a.jpg

Inserted the compression tool after first removing the plastic cover from the bottom of the wishbone, which is held on with 2 plastic rivet things. I then had to jack up the wishbone to compress the spring to make it as parallel as I could to get the tool up the middle.

2 Plates in and the spring is compressed. I now remove the bolt from the bottom of the shock absorber and the bolt from the bottom of the anti roll bar drop link.

I then jack the wishbone down using my trolley jack. A bottle jack or scissor jack would probably be better for this.
DSC_0097_zps39978e78.jpg

Spring is wiggled out compressed
DSC_0096_zps924444da.jpg

Then released showing broken bit at bottom.
DSC_0098_zpsb26a2f2f.jpg

The bottom cup is cleared of all grit and debris and the new spring is compressed and fitted
DSC_0099_zps74964bb8.jpg

The positioning of the compression plates is critical as on this attempt I managed to get the bottom one trapped between the spring and the wishbone which prolonged the job.

I then moved to the offside and repeated the process, the fuel filler pipe is miles out of the way and did not impede this side one bit.

In all a relatively easy job - but all the time I was acutely aware of the stored energy in the comressed spring and kept my pinkies well clear as far as possible.

Hi cd1974uk,

Did you have any issues undoing seized bolts or anything?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi there,

just 2 bolts to undo per side, bottom shock bolt and lower drop link bolt. These were actually the same size and length. Just cleaned the exposed thread with a wire brush then a dowse in WD40 and the nuts came off no problem. Then tapped out lightly with a brass drift to avoid damage ;-)

Regards

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom