WARNING Pressed Metal Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ANPR has been sold as a defence against major crime and terrorism. So when the police do stop someone due to ANPR (metal plate vs plastic) and they quickly establish that person is not a drug dealer and the like, give that person a slap on the wrist not alienate them with a punitive fine.

You are absolutely 100% correct! When I saw and tried to complain about 2 police bikes and three police cars working with a police ANPR van I was stopped and searched under anti-terror laws! My subsequent written complaint to the Chief Constable concerned was a waste of paper and postage!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think all of our police are useless and have lost touch with what they should really be doing, but unfortunately there are definately too many of them that have and persecuting the motorist is a very easy way for lazy police to meet performance targets.

They're not the ones that matter.

If the police made the effort to tackle real crime, then fine go after people with out of date tax discs and badly spaced number plates, but they are too lazy.

I agree with you in general but as I had pointed out to me and as you see on the police TV shows the fact that ANPR pings an unregistered uninsured car guarantees a stop, during this stop they uncover, drug dealers, serial burgulars, violent crime offenders, and the like. The hardcore criminal does not tax and insure their motor's and use the major motorway routes to commit crime so guess the Police do a worthwhile job in catching these scroats.

I actually had no problem with the stop the officer was incredibly polite, demonstrated exactly why he had stopped me, showed me the relevant legislation under which he was going to issue the ticket and handled it very professionally, In fact we had a good chat about driver training and road policing so apart from the £60 damage I can't complain one bit.

Having then checked legally that metal plates are illegal post 2001 then I have no problem in paying the fine. But it has taught me a lesson if we have to collect and deliver a customers car that has pressed metal plates or any dodgy number plate from now on it will be trailered.

Lesson learnt :)

Ahhh, but Mocas has the ultimate private plate; no numbers or letters...

I saw an old lady up by Balmoral driving a Rolls Phantom with that number plate - must have been Mocas's grandmother ?? :dk: :D

The police are lazy, sitting in ANPR vans is far easier than going after the real criminals.

Erm , the ANPR vans are usually crewed by civilian operators ( who are paid a lot less than even a rookie PC ) .

Are those who drive unregistered, untaxed and uninsured cars not criminals?

They're not the ones that matter.

If the police made the effort to tackle real crime, then fine go after people with out of date tax discs and badly spaced number plates, but they are too lazy.

...until one of them crashes into you.

They don't need to waste their time going after people with out of date tax discs any more, as the DVLA now have an effective way of dealing with that.

But if last week's Traffic Cops is anything to go by, we will see more people being stopped for having illegal number plates, tints, etc in future. Of course, if people didn't bother committing these vainglorious offences in the first place, the police would have more time to deal with other crime.

Statistics have shown that people who drive around in uninsured/unlicensed/unregistered etc cars are often involved in other , more serious , criminal activities .

By 'profiling' and stopping a lot of these cars , other , more serious , criminal activities are often detected and successfully prosecuted .

Having then checked legally that metal plates are illegal post 2001 then I have no problem in paying the fine. But it has taught me a lesson if we have to collect and deliver a customers car that has pressed metal plates or any dodgy number plate from now on it will be trailered.

Would you have been obliged to fail the guy's MOT because of the unlawful plates , had you known the legality at that time ?

Or is this not in the MOT guidebook ?

I presume these are also illegal...

This C-Class Sportcoupe has metal plates with riveted plastic characters, a type that was popular when reflective plates were first introduced. I'm guessing that they were lifted from a car that the number was previously assigned to, as I don't think you can get them any more.

mc200-1.jpg

There also seem to be quite a few cars around with raised plastic characters on a standard acrylic background:

raised.jpg

Anyone who thinks changing the original numberplate for something prettier deserves whatever the law throws at them.:p

Anyone who thinks of changing the original numberplate for something prettier deserves whatever the law throws at them.:p

Added the missing "of" to the above, could not edit in time.

Anyone who thinks changing the original numberplate for something prettier deserves whatever the law throws at them.:p
I think that is one of those adjectives: "I look after my car, he is obsessed, they ponce theirs up"
I agree with you,so altering your car so it is in some way not legal is obsessive, especially when the mod is about the look not the function.
I happen to think Mercedes made a pretty good job of designing my car and I see little reason to alter it but on here I seem to be in a minority.
Still, "the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" and as long as they don't break the law, hurt anyone or frighten the horses I guess it's down to choice.

I agree with you in general but as I had pointed out to me and as you see on the police TV shows the fact that ANPR pings an unregistered uninsured car guarantees a stop, during this stop they uncover, drug dealers, serial burgulars, violent crime offenders, and the like. The hardcore criminal does not tax and insure their motor's and use the major motorway routes to commit crime so guess the Police do a worthwhile job in catching these scroats.

I actually had no problem with the stop the officer was incredibly polite, demonstrated exactly why he had stopped me, showed me the relevant legislation under which he was going to issue the ticket and handled it very professionally, In fact we had a good chat about driver training and road policing so apart from the £60 damage I can't complain one bit.

Police Interceptors showed a 'ping' for no insurance. A pursuit entailed and the culprit had several K's of drugs on him.

Remarkably dim crim to be driving round with no insurance and hope to get away with it though...

I would be among the first to agree that something is well out of order with the 'big brother' attitude that appears to be prevalent amongst the authorities in this country .

Harassment of photographers , who are doing nothing unlawful , in London under the same laws is another prime example . Innocent members of the public are regularly stopped on Vauxhall Bridge by armed police ( because it happens to be near the MI5 building ) supposedly as suspected terrorists when they are merely tourists , when terrorists could easily get pictures from Google Earth without even going near the place !

Sometimes the law really is an ASS .

Regardless of the above , the fact remains that stops of uninsured , unlicensed etc cars does catch a lot of burglars , drugs offenders etc - so 'used properly' it can be a valuable tool .

Someone please define 'used properly' - beyond me , I'm afraid .

Someone please define 'used properly' - beyond me , I'm afraid .

According to the police and the state, it seems to involve watching all people at all times...

"Royston is to become Britain’s first ‘ring of steel’ town as hidden cameras watch all routes, police have revealed.

Hidden Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras will be installed on every road in and out of the town by next month.

The cameras, which record the number plate details of every vehicle, will be used to “make Royston the safest town in Hertfordshire”, say town bosses.

The cameras, already in use elsewhere in the country, will store the vehicle registration details of anyone who drives through the town on a database in London for up to five years.

Geraint Burnell, town centre manager and leader of Royston First, said: “It will make us the safest town in Hertfordshire and you won’t be able to drive in or out of the town without being clocked.

“We will be the only town in Britain that will have ANPR on every approach to the town.”"

Royston News | Latest News & Events In Royston, Cambridgeshire | Royston Evening News | Hidden cameras on all routes in

The cameras, which record the number plate details of every vehicle, will be used to “make Royston the safest town in Hertfordshire”, say town bosses.

So safe that a drugged-up, drunk driver of a cloned vehicle acting as a courier of a bootload of drugs will be able to waltz into the area as the police lower their guard.

They should be careful what they wish for ...

Clarke won the Open.:D

Does he drive with pressed metal plates too? I imagine he can afford the fine these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom