• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Watch advice & opinions please...

I can't believe the prices of rolexes now. Was looking on saturday.

I bought a GMT Master II back in 2001 and paid £2350 for it , same watch in the window on saturday was £4100 . Bit of a hike. Good investment if you can swallow the £4100 or so for a GMT or Submariner. Avoid the non sports rolexes like the plague as these bomb second hand.

I wouldnt spend any more than about £500ish on a tag heuer watch these days. Was fine when they were something of a rarity, but every buggers got one now. Seeing them for sale for sill money £1000+ just made me wonder who pays that for one.

My choice would be 1. Breitling SuperOcean Mens

I have a Omega Seamaster 300 M Diver Chronometer Watch, Co-Axial Escapement Movement that I wear everyday, I'm completely happy with it.

I also wear it when I go diving, but I don't use it as my main timer.
I like MattC's idea of getting a few Oris's some of them are stunning.
(I already have a couple of Oris's)

Here's one to look at...
51GJgPyN-eL._SS500_.jpg

I can't believe the prices of rolexes now. Was looking on saturday.

I bought a GMT Master II back in 2001 and paid £2350 for it , same watch in the window on saturday was £4100 . Bit of a hike. Good investment if you can swallow the £4100 or so for a GMT or Submariner. Avoid the non sports rolexes like the plague as these bomb second hand.

They were £2600 in 2007, mine was £2950 in late 07 (seadweller was always a bit more). A £300 rise in approx 6 years

They've really gone up since then but they've released new versions, higher water resistance, larger cases. Prefer mine. I'd expect to get all that £2900 back + some more.

I am no mood to sell it, its mine, will always be, and hopefully my children's one day when I am gone.

Other rolexes worth avoiding are the bi metal ones. I really want one, but alas cannot justify another, nor can really now afford another.

I'm a planet-ocean man myself, bracelet is far chunkier than a seamaster and better quality IMHO

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/planet-ocean/22015000

I tried the same monaco as you and loved it, but wasn't something i would be able to wear everyday, also come resale 95% of buyers would go for a chrono.

I have a great contact re prices if your interested

Last edited:
Not the Tag

Hi my Boss has a nice looking Tag and until last week I kept saying I want one but about 3 weeks ago he noticed the watch had stopped on closer inspection the 2 had dropped off and jammed the minute hand.
He took it to the local Tag dealer who checked it and sent it off to Tag for repair last week He phoned the jeweller to be told that Tag claim that under a magnifing glass they have found a faint impact mark so they claim that the watch would require a service and replacement parts totalling £354
after several phone calls pointing out that it is a sports watch and as he works in a office the watch has never been knocked the Tag customer service dept have offered to reattach the 2 for £30 but will not warranty the repair so much for build quality!!!

It costs £350 to have my SuperOcean serviced...

I checked with my supplier and will add another to the list of possibles....

In that case i`d get the Speedy Pro.
A bit ubiquitous,but thats because it`s so bloody good.
A true classic.
And don`t bother with any of these Speedy Pro `Limited Editions` that seemingly come out every year - they`re naff.
Best on a strap,too.......

It costs £350 to have my SuperOcean serviced...

My Speedmaster Professional costs about £200 every 3/4 years but seeing as it's mechanical and they really go over it with a fine tooth comb i don't mind, it nearly always comes back with new glass. If i had a bit more cash i'd get an IWC Portuguese Chronograph, as for Rolex, nice watches but everybody will think it's knock-off ;)

Watches are pretty much exclusively priced in Swiss Francs, so the exchange rate has put things up over the last few years.

You'd find me glued to windows of decent watch outlets for years, I was a particular fan of Breitling and have owned a couple, but for me now these watches have become hideously large and gaudy.

I really regret selling my Aerospace II Titanium and I constantly search for a decent one of the same vintage to buy back. The new ones are just plain ugly.

I now wear a nice Seiko Premier perpetual calender automatic, kind of like a buying a New Skoda really, everyone knows it's really well engineered buy it just doesn't have the right badge on it.

At least unitl I find a nice titanium Aerospace II with a professional bracelet and black dial.

Last edited:
Forgot to add.. I had a Tag for a while, massively underwhelmed by it..
but then I found one of these could be a nice alternative that strikes a nice retro feel..

CS111C.FT6003.jpg

My Speedmaster Professional costs about £200 every 3/4 years but seeing as it's mechanical and they really go over it with a fine tooth comb i don't mind, it nearly always comes back with new glass. If i had a bit more cash i'd get an IWC Portuguese Chronograph, as for Rolex, nice watches but everybody will think it's knock-off ;)

Yes, I don't begrudge paying every couple years. Watch comes back as new, all case scratches polished out etc.. It gets pressure tested to 1500m and re-certified.

I had a ton of kids trying to sell me knock offs on the beach during a recent trip to the Far East - they laughed when I showed them I already had an Omega..
I assume they thought it was a knock off too (from a previous visit).

sidenote: don't Google for lolex watch :D

Last edited:
And don`t bother with any of these Speedy Pro `Limited Editions` that seemingly come out every year - they're naff..

:D mine was a present from Mrs B. It's actually quite a nice watch, all the first space walk ****** is on the back. Just a bit of red text & a rather nice deep blue face differentiate from the black one. She told me she got a great deal on it (she would ;) ) probably because no watch geeks would touch it :)

My brother has a Tag (Monaco I think) looks like a speedmaster from the front but has a clear back to show the movement. Personally I find that far more naff.

Swatch anyone?

Ade

I have had a midsize automatic Seamaster since 1998 [not a fan of 'big' watches]. I love the watch, but the strap 'stretches' too easily and it keeps dreadful time - services are approx £200 per time and they don't seem to sort out the accuracy. I readjust the time once a week...

I bought TAGS for my wife and I on holiday in 2004.

Mine was about 1800 pounds and my wifes cost about 900 pounds.

Both are on the original batteries are in perfect condition, whitch is good in my case seeing that I am a builder.

They both keep perfect time.

Something a bit different sir ? ?.............

........join the Bulova club............

Attachments

• accutron.jpg
    accutron.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom