• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Another watch thread...............

Just had notification that my Tag Heuer Calibre 1887 (CAR2010) has just had its full service and case/bracket refurb completed.

Will be very interesting to see how it looks
on return

Over the weekend Mrs D lost the Bezel from her 1993 ladies Tag Heuer F1 which she has had since new. Any idea how to get new replacement parts?

We could buy another to salvage the bezel but it seems a waste and I suspect that finding a donor watch with a bezel in mint condition will be a challenge.

Over the weekend Mrs D lost the Bezel from her 1993 ladies Tag Heuer F1 which she has had since new. Any idea how to get new replacement parts?

We could buy another to salvage the bezel but it seems a waste and I suspect that finding a donor watch with a bezel in mint condition will be a challenge.
It may be worth doing a search on Ebay? I have seen some obscure spares on there.

It may be worth doing a search on Ebay? I have seen some obscure spares on there.
There’s a company on eBay called thewatchmen2015 that have F1 bezels, not sure if mens or womens though. They might be able to source one though. Sorry, I couldn’t copy the link. I’ve also used Chrono24.

There’s a company on eBay called thewatchmen2015 that have F1 bezels, not sure if mens or womens though. They might be able to source one though. Sorry, I couldn’t copy the link. I’ve also used Chrono24.
That’s helpful, thank you 👍🏻

With the leather strap opposed to the bracelet.

K
Son has just bought the Tudor Chrono with the leather strap which he really likes. He enquired about the same leather strap for another Tudor he has, but thought that the £750 that Tudor wanted was way over the top. He's gone to a custom maker for a very similar one at a fraction of the price.

Son has just bought the Tudor Chrono with the leather strap which he really likes. He enquired about the same leather strap for another Tudor he has, but thought that the £750 that Tudor wanted was way over the top. He's gone to a custom maker for a very similar one at a fraction of the price.
Ive had a couple of straps made by George at Genteel Handmade. Amazing quality, highly recommended.

Given up waiting on the Rolex AD getting me the watch that i have been waiting on for almost two years , resigned myself to the fact that if i want the timepiece then it will need to be pre-owned , luckily the prices have "softened" a bit so not going to get shafted too much.

Those "flippers" who bought them around two years ago thinking they were a good investment that was only was only going to increase in value are having a "squeaky bum moment" now with the price drop , add that to a recession then they are starting to get a bit more sensible price wise.
What's the Rolex price drop?

In 2020, when the shops were in disarray, my AD came up with a steel datejust and then a blue gold submariner which had both been on order for 4 or 5 years. I took them but grew tired of them within in less than a year and sold them on for a modest profit. (An irritating faff)

I can see that luxury watches aren't what they were, with fewer people working in offices and the Chinese still barred from tourism, but is there a Rolex price drop in these inflationary times?

Likewise I'm hoping that a 'Kermit' or 'Hulk' will drop into my lap for sensible money.... I may be waiting for a while:confused:
Like the old Daytonas these were only sold to "friends" of the AD. They're fibbing to suggest otherwise.

Daft things, though. They catch they eye, but after that, it's just a watch with a green face.

but is there a Rolex price drop in these inflationary times?

Without a doubt , i have been watching the James Cameron RRP and pre-owned prices for over two years now.

2020 mid pandemic the RRP was around £11.5k , pre-owned there were nudging £20k. Fast forward to today and the pre-owned prices are from £12.5k when the RRP is £12.2k which is academic really as most timepieces in the range are almost impossible to purchase through legitimate channels.

Today ,generally, used Daytonas are double list price , last year they were nearly three times list.

Loads of people jumped on the Rolex bandwagon a few years ago thinking it was the next big thing for making a quick buck , YT was full of "infuencers" bigging up the brand fueling the fire and driving the prices artificially high , great for the "flippers" but people who believed the hype and bought into the game have had their fingers burnt if they are still holding stock now , especially with money being tighter for everyone today and a luxury watch is hardly a necessity.

I remember watching a YT video a few years back where there was a "rumor" that the JC was going to be discontinued and the prices were soon going to be £50k + so best get in quick if you want one , no doubt the video was made by a "flipper" as they are still making them today with the new 136660 and no firm news to cease production.

K

but thought that the £750 that Tudor wanted was way over the top. He's gone to a custom maker for a very similar one at a fraction of the price.

That just a pi$$ take , £750 for a piece of leather. Talk about pricing yourself out the make with charging 20% of the watches value for a strap , i paid £120 for a genuine Omega Nate strap for my Seamaster which was expensive for what it was but it did have Omega engraved into the buckle which makes it justifiable :rolleyes: .

K

That just a pi$$ take , £750 for a piece of leather. Talk about pricing yourself out the make with charging 20% of the watches value for a strap , i paid £120 for a genuine Omega Nate strap for my Seamaster which was expensive for what it was but it did have Omega engraved into the buckle which makes it justifiable :rolleyes: .

K
Have a look at Genteel Handmade. I had a custom strap made from Saffiano goat for my old Fortis. Lined with goat with ecru stitching. George can build round an existing clasp if needs be. I had another made for one of my wife’s watches. Quality is outstanding. My Fortis one was about 160 Euro from memory, they take about 4 weeks, all hand stitched. He’s got a good Facebook page with his work. There’s a lovely Speedmaster Tintin on there…

5B4A1AA7-8071-4792-B6FB-87EBACA8AB69.jpeg
028C9189-9A0C-4221-B152-2928612C5F28.jpeg

Without a doubt , i have been watching the James Cameron RRP and pre-owned prices for over two years now.

2020 mid pandemic the RRP was around £11.5k , pre-owned there were nudging £20k. Fast forward to today and the pre-owned prices are from £12.5k when the RRP is £12.2k which is academic really as most timepieces in the range are almost impossible to purchase through legitimate channels.

Today ,generally, used Daytonas are double list price , last year they were nearly three times list.

Loads of people jumped on the Rolex bandwagon a few years ago thinking it was the next big thing for making a quick buck , YT was full of "infuencers" bigging up the brand fueling the fire and driving the prices artificially high , great for the "flippers" but people who believed the hype and bought into the game have had their fingers burnt if they are still holding stock now , especially with money being tighter for everyone today and a luxury watch is hardly a necessity.

I remember watching a YT video a few years back where there was a "rumor" that the JC was going to be discontinued and the prices were soon going to be £50k + so best get in quick if you want one , no doubt the video was made by a "flipper" as they are still making them today with the new 136660 and no firm news to cease production.

K
Makes sense, the days of easily available capital and low interest rates are over.

And these things must be complicating watch demand amongst the young, and not so young.

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 11.37.12.png

Have a look at Genteel Handmade. I had a custom strap made from Saffiano goat for my old Fortis. Lined with goat with ecru stitching. George can build round an existing clasp if needs be. I had another made for one of my wife’s watches. Quality is outstanding. My Fortis one was about 160 Euro from memory, they take about 4 weeks, all hand stitched. He’s got a good Facebook page with his work. There’s a lovely Speedmaster Tintin on there…

View attachment 135782
View attachment 135783
That's a quality strap; the Fortis is a good looking timepiece too.

And these things must be complicating watch demand amongst the young, and not so young.

They will have , my daily is a Samsung smart watch which has been faultless of the last four years and more accurate than any mechanical watch plus you can change the faces when you get bored.

I think the availability recently of a new Rolex had tipped the balance and people are looking to other manufacturers for their watch "fix" as waiting years for a timepiece that you probably wont get anyway has become tiresome.

We were in London at the start of December and over the four days we were there i went into eleven AD`s and was only offered one watch , a gold Skydweller on an Oysterflex at £32k , the dealerships were mainly empty which is understandable and had at least four members of staff standing about looking good , the one in Battersea was by far the most top heavy with staff : customer ratio , which was laughable when they had nothing to sell.

K

That's a quality strap; the Fortis is a good looking timepiece too.
Thanks, ive had it since 2004 but treated it to a service and new strap - the strap is navy blue to match the hands but it doesn't really show in the photo. Its a bit of a beast so i went with a non-tapered strap which helps! It keeps time within 2 s/day which is pretty good for a non-certified movement. (The venerable ETA 7750 top grade with a few tweaks)

They will have , my daily is a Samsung smart watch which has been faultless of the last four years and more accurate than any mechanical watch plus you can change the faces when you get bored.
Not that anyone buys a watch these days to accurately tell the time anyway..

I wonder - again - whether I ought to start a thread on what people actually use their Smartwatches for, but hesitate to stir ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom