• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What irritates you about motorbikers?

If I see a bike behind me I keep left and let him/ her pass as easily as possible.

They get on with their day and I get on with mine.
Far too easy to do that when you could deliberately make it difficult for the rider to pass and/or get all hot under the collar and write sweeping, ill-informed, generalisations.

;) :D

Never really understood the bike vs car thing.

If I see a bike behind me I keep left and let him/ her pass as easily as possible.

They get on with their day and I get on with mine.

Me also. And for my (small) effort I get lifted left hand fingers as acknowledgement and thanks. We share the roads, let's do it as harmoniously as we can.

In the Highway code filtering is not stated to be legal, its refers to maneuvering be legal

In the Highway code filtering is not stated to be legal, its refers to maneuvering be legal

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

Yes yes i was wrong.

This.............
[URL=http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/boxbrownieUK/videos/dumb%20biker_zpsdpuchmoo.mp4][/URL]

I know filtering is legal but if they must do it be aware of the traffic regs or carry a donor card!

Do you ride a modern motorcycle? I ask because dynamically, that manoeuvre by the biker was perfectly safe. The acceleration is such that even if the blue car he cut in front of had nailed the throttle, he would not have managed to hit the biker unless he had either deliberately, or because he was unaware of what was going on around him, swerved to his right to do so before the bike was even level with him.

That said, I wouldn't ride like that; not just because my bikes are old clunkers, but also because it was bad manners, and arguably driving without due care. Besides, the more you get away with that sort of manoeuvre, the finer you tend to cut it next time, until eventually you cut it too fine, and Bang! you are the crumple zone...

Do you ride a modern motorcycle? I ask because dynamically, that manoeuvre by the biker was perfectly safe. The acceleration is such that even if the blue car he cut in front of had nailed the throttle, he would not have managed to hit the biker unless he had either deliberately, or because he was unaware of what was going on around him, swerved to his right to do so before the bike was even level with him.

That said, I wouldn't ride like that; not just because my bikes are old clunkers, but also because it was bad manners, and arguably driving without due care. Besides, the more you get away with that sort of manoeuvre, the finer you tend to cut it next time, until eventually you cut it too fine, and Bang! you are the crumple zone...

Actually I didn't give a fig for the blue car it was me he cut in front of, dash cameras give a VERY wide angle of view which can be misread upon playback, but in fact if you look carefully I had to brake hard and suddenly to avoid clipping him as he cut in front of me, had I accelled hard and not noticed him (reading a text :p) he would have been toast.

It was a silly move.

Last edited:
Actually I didn't give a fig for the blue car it was me he cut in front of, dash cameras give a VERY wide angle of view which can be misread upon playback, but in fact if you look carefully I had to brake hard and suddenly to avoid clipping him as he cut in front of me, had I accelled hard and not noticed him (reading a text :p) he would have been toast.

It was a silly move.

It was indeed, and I see your momentary braking (eventually). Good point.

No criticism of you, but if you had been indicating right, the bozo on the bike might have seen it and not cut you up. Personally, I think the Highway Code guidance on signalling on roundabouts is bad. Unless there is no other traffic to be affected, I always indicate on entering a roundabout - either left if I am taking the first exit, or right until I pass the last exit before mine, when I indicate left.

If there is a car on a roundabout not indicating, you don't know whether it is going straight on, or the driver is one of the many dozy clowns who do not bother to indicate. By the same token, you cannot assess from the lane positioning whether the driver is following the guidance, or the same sort of dozy clown who has no real clue about lane positioning, or simply took the least congested lane entering the roundabout in order to be held up as little as possible, and sod the Highway Code...

The way I do it, so long as I am indicating right other road users can be in no doubt about my intention NOT to leave the roundabout at the next exit, whatever lane I am in. I think that is safer.

No criticism of you, but if you had been indicating right, the bozo on the bike might have seen it and not cut you up. Personally, I think the Highway Code guidance on signalling on roundabouts is bad. Unless there is no other traffic to be affected, I always indicate on entering a roundabout - either left if I am taking the first exit, or right until I pass the last exit before mine, when I indicate left.

If there is a car on a roundabout not indicating, you don't know whether it is going straight on, or the driver is one of the many dozy clowns who do not bother to indicate. By the same token, you cannot assess from the lane positioning whether the driver is following the guidance, or the same sort of dozy clown who has no real clue about lane positioning, or simply took the least congested lane entering the roundabout in order to be held up as little as possible, and sod the Highway Code...

The way I do it, so long as I am indicating right other road users can be in no doubt about my intention NOT to leave the roundabout at the next exit, whatever lane I am in. I think that is safer.

Indicating right?? That would have been wrong...he was taking the second exit...the straight ahead, therefore on approach to the r'about, no signals, only signal left just after the exit before the one you want to exit at.

The biker was clearly taking the first left exit...so why in God's name was he sitting to the right of the lane as he approached the r'about not left. He was a moron.

Last edited:
"Personally, I think the Highway Code guidance on signalling on roundabouts is bad."

You follow the Highway Code on this if you want to; for the reasoning given, I prefer to take a safer option, and leave no-one in doubt of my intentions at any time.

If the biker was filtering between two lanes approaching the roundabout, as I suspect he was, it is reasonable to assume that he expected that the OP's car was also taking the first exit. He was wrong, but if the OP had been indicating right, (contrary, as you correctly point out, to the Code) the mistake (if such it was) would have been less likely to be made.

You follow the Highway Code on this if you want to; for the reasoning given, I prefer to take a safer option, and leave no-one in doubt of my intentions at any time.

If you're not following the Highway Code then at least someone is going to have doubt as to your intentions.

The problem with signalling right on the approach to , or through a roundabout , when going no further than '12 o'clock ' is that it misleads and inconveniences other road users .

Assuming your position to be correct ( near side lane ) , if I come up behind you and AM intending to turn right , if I see you trafficating right , I will hold back behind you rather than being able to make better progress in my own lane , since I will be expecting you to cross in front of me .

I have lost count of the number of times I have approached a roundabout and waited for a car approaching from directly opposite , but trafficating right , to pass in front of me , only for them to exit straight ahead when I could have safely gone several seconds earlier .

This is something that the novice driving schools seem to be teaching as it is mainly driving school cars and young/inexperienced looking drivers who mainly seem to do it .

For the benefit of the unsure , just refer to HC , Roadcraft or any other authoritative driving manuals for the correct procedure . If involved in a collision whilst giving misleading signals this may cause some blame to be apportioned to you .

No offence, but there is no logic in this statement at all; it's just a one liner that bikers trot out to justify their self-indulgent choice of exhaust. Here's why:

The only time an exhaust sounds really loud is on full throttle / high revs. Whereas the only time your life is in danger on a bike (unless you stuff it in a hedge off your own bat) is when you are sharing the road with cars. So, if there are cars around and you are riding at high revs / wide open throttle, then you are clearly driving like an idiot and probably contributing to the impending impact.

As a bike rider, whenever there are cars around and there is any possibility that I haven't been seen, I am riding slowly on a closed or almost closed throttle. It wouldn't matter what exhaust I had fitted to my bike, it wouldn't increase my "visibility" one bit.

The time when you hear bikers' offensively loud exhausts is when they have a clear road ahead of them and they rev the nuts off their bikes.

Personally, whenever I hear an unsilenced bike being thrashed (and we get them all the time where I live), I always hope for a little "clump" followed by blissful silence. Sadly, it never happens.

I'm shocked and amazed that you think it would be ok for someone to come off their bike and be injured/killed. That is sick! You should be ashamed of that comment.

I'm shocked and amazed that you think it would be ok for someone to come off their bike and be injured/killed. That is sick! You should be ashamed of that comment.

You do realise it was tongue in cheek?

No. I know a joke when I see one and that was just tastless bull**** and very offensive.

Tasteless maybe however there was no mention of wishing injury or death. So no need to be 'shocked and amazed' at something nothing more than a joke.

The problem with signalling right on the approach to , or through a roundabout , when going no further than '12 o'clock ' is that it misleads and inconveniences other road users .

Assuming your position to be correct ( near side lane ) , if I come up behind you and AM intending to turn right , if I see you trafficating right , I will hold back behind you rather than being able to make better progress in my own lane , since I will be expecting you to cross in front of me .

I have lost count of the number of times I have approached a roundabout and waited for a car approaching from directly opposite , but trafficating right , to pass in front of me , only for them to exit straight ahead when I could have safely gone several seconds earlier .

This is something that the novice driving schools seem to be teaching as it is mainly driving school cars and young/inexperienced looking drivers who mainly seem to do it .

For the benefit of the unsure , just refer to HC , Roadcraft or any other authoritative driving manuals for the correct procedure . If involved in a collision whilst giving misleading signals this may cause some blame to be apportioned to you .

I'm not unsure of the 'correct' procedure; I just don't slavishly follow it absolutely. Obedience of fools, guidance of wise men....

My way is safer; it leaves no-one in any doubt whether I intend to leave the roundabout at the next exit. My road positioning on the roundabout may not be what the Highway Code recommends as appropriate for the indication given, but there is absolutely nothing misleading about that indication; it accurately reflects my intentions at all times.

If you are in the habit of relying solely on other drivers' signalling to decide whether or not to move out, I am surprised you haven't been involved in many collisions. Better you wait for a few seconds, than be t-boned by the bozo who doesn't indicate at all...

If every driver could be relied upon correctly to understand, interpret, and apply the Highway Code guidance on road positioning and signalling at all times, there would be no need to do otherwise. But they cannot, so I'm sticking to the safer option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom