What Is It With Tinted Front Screens?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I saw two yesterday - one on a W205 C Class and one on a Vectra.

The Merc screen was so dark that I couldn't see the occupants inside as it approached me in traffic :eek:.

Could anyone be more stupid :dk:.

It's so the rozzers can't see they've enabled video-in-motion ;)

It's so the rozzers can't see they've enabled video-in-motion ;)

Or on their phone.

The latest craze around here is displaying the front number plate inside the car ,mainly Audi`s, tucked between the dash and corner of the windscreen.:dk:

Not enough police patrols to deal with these idiots who seem to manage the risk and are getting away with it.

Kenny

...The latest craze around here is displaying the front number plate inside the car ,mainly Audi`s, tucked between the dash and corner of the windscreen...

Not sure why anyone would want to do that, but is this actually illegal ?

So they can have a 'cleaner' less cluttered front end.

in some other countries a front plate isn't a legal requirement and the cars do look a lot nicer. Seeing as the plates on dashboard I personally don't see an issue and can't see any reason why not having a front plate would cause any issues.
1b3b5bf71e77104d86a996db3ccd2c6d.jpg

So they can have a 'cleaner' less cluttered front end.

in some other countries a front plate isn't a legal requirement and the cars do look a lot nicer. Seeing as the plates on dashboard I personally don't see an issue and can't see any reason why not having a front plate would cause any issues.
1b3b5bf71e77104d86a996db3ccd2c6d.jpg

Really?

The plate may not be readable by ANPR cameras , and may be harder to photograph ( which in itself is an offence ) - this may be the real reason since many speed cameras look at the front of the vehicle .

I had my front plate tucked in the corner between dash and screen last night!
It was going to fall off after all the snow had weighted it down :eek: so I put it there for the drive home

See below

The plate may not be readable by ANPR cameras , and may be harder to photograph ( which in itself is an offence ) - this may be the real reason since many speed cameras look at the front of the vehicle .

Exactly

I had my front plate tucked in the corner between dash and screen last night!
It was going to fall off after all the snow had weighted it down :eek: so I put it there for the drive home

And that is exactly the excuse they will give if they get pulled by plod , even though any sticky residue from the plates adhesive pads has been removed from the bumper a long while ago :rolleyes:

They will get a tug , refit the plates for a week or so then they will be off again.

Kenny

Or on their phone.

The latest craze around here is displaying the front number plate inside the car ,mainly Audi`s, tucked between the dash and corner of the windscreen.:dk:

Not enough police patrols to deal with these idiots who seem to manage the risk and are getting away with it.

Kenny

The number plate in the front screen idea has been around for a very long time. Oldguy57 juniors both mk1 and mk2 do it and yes I call them idiots. But you cant tell children anything:rolleyes:

Or on their phone.

Kenny
Yes Kenny , I see a lot of idiots in Pollokshields with no numberplate on the front of their cars these days.

Front (side) windows or you saying front windscreens?

I saw two yesterday - one on a W205 C Class and one on a Vectra.

The Merc screen was so dark that I couldn't see the occupants inside as it approached me in traffic :eek:.

Could anyone be more stupid :dk:.

The Govt view on this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ent_data/file/245217/tinted-windows-guide.pdf

To save you the effort (directly copied from the above document)...

"Motor Vehicles first used before 1 April 1985: The windscreen and front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

"Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985: The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%. The front side windows must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

"If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, then the vehicle does not meet legal requirements.

"Which windows in the vehicle does this apply to? The windscreen and the front side windows to either side of the drivers’ head."

Last edited:
See below

Exactly

And that is exactly the excuse they will give if they get pulled by plod , even though any sticky residue from the plates adhesive pads has been removed from the bumper a long while ago :rolleyes:

They will get a tug , refit the plates for a week or so then they will be off again.

Kenny

Almost all Speed cameras read rear plates don't they?

Anpr also? Surely it could pick up the rear plate as they are in my experience facing in such a way that they are always reading the back of the car?

How about all the people driving around with completely blacked out dirty numberplates all muddy etc (with the I forgot to clean it/no time excuse)?

No , we had a local mobile speed camera that nabs you front-on. It sits about 100 from a bend so once you notice it you are caught as it is normally parked between cars on the central reservation.

Kenny

Anpr also? Surely it could pick up the rear plate as they are in my experience facing in such a way that they are always reading the back of the car?

How about all the people driving around with completely blacked out dirty numberplates all muddy etc (with the I forgot to clean it/no time excuse)?

No the 'scamera' vans with their laser cameras look from in front , as do the traffic police cars . The SPECS average speed cameras , so popular over most of the A9 , M77/A77 , M8 and M74 roadworks also all record you from in front .

The police , of course , if they see you with no front number plate , will stop you even if you weren't speeding .

No the 'scamera' vans with their laser cameras look from in front , as do the traffic police cars . The SPECS average speed cameras , so popular over most of the A9 , M77/A77 , M8 and M74 roadworks also all record you from in front .

The police , of course , if they see you with no front number plate , will stop you even if you weren't speeding .

only to discover you were ******, stoned or had bald tyres.

Any speed camera that photographs only the front plate isn't going to catch any motorcyclists. Surprising then that they don't exclusively target the rear plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom