What is needed for the C43 to C55 conversion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

I've threatened to do the conversion on my previous C43's but neither of them were in the cracking condition this one is in, so I'm going to seriously look into doing it with this one.

The obvious option is to buy a rusty W210 E55 and plunder it for parts. Or, correct me if I'm wrong, I'll need an engine, EIS and ECU.

I think I'll try and go the donor car route and then I can use the 18" Monos as well...

All input greatly received.

You can run the 55 engine on the 43 ECU.

You fit the 55 engine with the 43 engine loom and just plug it into the 43 ECU.
I fitted a CLK 55 engine in my 43 wiring loom and throttle body swap and it goes straight in everything is the same except for the lack of water outlet on the back of the driver side cylinder head.
If you use an E55 engine then the starter motor fits on the other side of the bell housing, though if you get an early one I think the loom and throttle body is the same as the 43.
Its advisable to replace the rear main oil seal and clean the breather gallery out whilst the engine is out also the engine mounts, possibly the water pump as well.
I also had my gearbox and torque convertor reconditioned whilst it was apart.
Once you have the conversion done, it would pay you to get a custom remap done, to take optimise the power from the 55 engine though I drove mine around with the 43 map for nearly two years.
You could fit the 55 box but its quite lively to say the least with the 43 box and diff.

I went to collect some 202 AMG bumpers at AMG Tech in Leamington yesterday and they (typically spanner-handy Eastern Europeans) offered to drop a 55 into my 430 in 8 hours. "We do it".

I went to collect some 202 AMG bumpers at AMG Tech in Leamington yesterday and they (typically spanner-handy Eastern Europeans) offered to drop a 55 into my 430 in 8 hours. "We do it".

haha love the work ethic,i used a russian guy with a local car collection service to pick up and old e30 bmw which had been sat for 17 years,welded brakes,tyres hanging off the rims,needed to be dragged uphill from a muddy garden etc.
i gave him the details and he just replied "no problem i have 5 tonne winch"
he done a great service for me that day and didn't moan once.

You fit the 55 engine with the 43 engine loom and just plug it into the 43 ECU.
I fitted a CLK 55 engine in my 43 wiring loom and throttle body swap and it goes straight in everything is the same except for the lack of water outlet on the back of the driver side cylinder head.
If you use an E55 engine then the starter motor fits on the other side of the bell housing, though if you get an early one I think the loom and throttle body is the same as the 43.
Its advisable to replace the rear main oil seal and clean the breather gallery out whilst the engine is out also the engine mounts, possibly the water pump as well.
I also had my gearbox and torque convertor reconditioned whilst it was apart.
Once you have the conversion done, it would pay you to get a custom remap done, to take optimise the power from the 55 engine though I drove mine around with the 43 map for nearly two years.
You could fit the 55 box but its quite lively to say the least with the 43 box and diff.

Cheers Andy, that's brilliant info.

I think due to the rarity of just being able to buy a '55 lump on its own, I may end up having to buy a battered W210 E55, but I'll just keep my eyes open for either opportunity.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom