• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

What those cameras on A13 near Barking/Dagenham?

Enforcement of average speed cameras on A13 to begin on 31 January | Transport for London

It says from 31.01.2011 and average speed limit 50mph
(10mph more than the 40mph current limit).

I still don't think this is going to affect the number of collisions though.
The limits are already 70/50/40/30 as you come in to London on this stretch and if you obey the limits then everybody just (quite safely) passes you.
When the road is not congested, vast parts of it are good for more than 50mph.

just driven from Docklands, eastwards towards Essex, and noticed that all the spray paint has now been removed from all road signs, although the overhead gantry between the East India Dock tunnel and Canning flyover is still covered. the speed limit signs all refer to 50 from just after Canning flyover all the way to Lodge Lane flyover, where it is back to 40, which is fair enough , then back to 50 straight after the flyover, so it is as the TFL report above states.
I will check on the Westbound trip tomorrow, as a lot of the signs were still covered this morning.
I still eased of to 40 for the Gatso's just incase, but looks like the planned live date is on for monday, so so sad

Tomorrow is D-day, I noticed that all the Gatso's are now covered up, I have only travelled outside of peak times, and it has been ok, will see how it goes during the rush hours next week.

Interesting. Does the average speed zone extend to where it becomes 70mph by the Ford plant?

Annoying if so. Not been in London for the past few months but it was nice to be able to stretch the CLKs legs a bit on the way to Lakeside every now and again when it was quiet.

:doh: Bloody hell! I travelled on the A13 today, my first time since the new average speed cameras went live and had no problems going into town as there was traffic and there was no chance of me breaking the speed limit. On my way back as I joined the A13 from the A406, I got a call and chatted away. I was only brought back to my senses by the yellow cameras just before the Ripple Road flyover (anyone else noticed the new Mercedes Benz place by the flyover?) and when I looked at my dash I was doing 60 :wallbash: :mad:

I should know better as I travel this road alot and followed the deployment of the cameras form day 1. It wasnt my fault, it was the car! The ride is just so smooth. You get a call, you press a button on the wheel and you chat away without a care in the world. You cant hear anything from the outside and it is auto too, you just seem to glide. It sometimes feels like I am being driven. Damn you fine Mercedes cars!

I should be fine though cause I only went up to 60 and I definitely didnt join the A13 at 60 so I must have gradually gone up from about 30 to 60 over the 1.5 miles so it should average out.

There's a short stretch of the A329 going from Bracknell to the M4 that has average speed cameras and a 50 limit. It's only about a mile ... and there are only two cameras - one at the start and one at the finish. Predictably everyone slows down to 40 :rolleyes: as they go into the zone - the joke is that there's a roundabout in the middle, so you'd probably need to be doing 100 there to get an average speed for the whole stretch of over 50.

To add to everybody's A13 woes, I have noticed that it's becoming a habit for a Police chopper to hover over the 50mph Wennington stretch and further up towards the Asda/Dagenham exit the Police bike riders wait, salivating!

I have to say having been up and down it a few times recently and it's annoying coming back in - you come over the last flyover and it goes to 30 and the you have to drive at bloody 30 (40+ is easily fine here) until you realise / double check there's no cameras!

The gatso's now appear to have been turned off and have covers over them - not of course in the tunnel though...It seems to work better at 50 average speed in terms of nutters, but it's damn tedious driving at that speed on cruise control..

It seems to end out by Dagenham though when all hell breaks lose as usual ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom