wheel size/offset question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_k

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa GTV 3.0
I have happened across a set of 16" Mercedes 16 hole alloys

Part number 129 400 01 02
size 8J x 16 ET34

a few questions

1, any idea what they were originally fitted to?
2, can they be persuded to fit my 1989 230TE? which has a stock wheel size
of 6 1/2J x 15 ET48
3, I realise the offsets are different - would the width of the wheel
dictate the need for a different offset or would I need to use spacers?
4, the stud pattern/spacing is the same but are the diameters of the bolt
holes the same as my W124 wheels

Thanks in anticipation of your replies

Andy

Andy. As has been said on this forum before, anything can be made to fit anywhere if you have a big enough hammer.:D

Yeah i know about different hammer sizes :)

Perhaps I should have asked whether they will fit without any special tools i.e. grinding wheels and hammers :)

Andy

Andy, a friend of mine just bought a set of 16" , he didn't know what model Merc they came off but they fitted a treat,he just put lower profile tyres on to make up the diff' no spacers or any other changes were made other than the wheel studs which you have to have longer ones for the alloy wheel. Regards Rob

Andy ,forgot to mention i bought his old alloys which went on with no problem,only thing i had to do was to buy 4 short steel wheel studs for the spare, which is steel. Regards Rob

cheers Rob, I need to find a set of the wheel studs now - sadly this set didn't come with them.

The only problem I can forsee is the size of the wheel studs - as far as I know Merc have only ever used 2 sizes, 12mm & 14mm threads. so i need to measure the threads on the W124 (the wheels have 14mm apertures) if the cars bolts are 14mm then great, if not I can buy sleeve/wheel washers to take up the shortfall and correct (if neccessary) any difference in taper at the end of the bore.

Andy

Anybody got some W124 alloy studs lying around to save me a trip to the stealers?

Andy

Originally posted by andy_k
The only problem I can forsee is the size of the wheel studs - as far as I know Merc have only ever used 2 sizes, 12mm & 14mm threads. so i need to measure the threads on the W124 (the wheels have 14mm apertures) if the cars bolts are 14mm then great, if not I can buy sleeve/wheel washers to take up the shortfall and correct (if neccessary) any difference in taper at the end of the bore.

Andy

Your on dangerous ground there mate.

I'll sleep better if you get the "Right Bolts".:eek: :eek:

Originally posted by andy_k
1, any idea what they were originally fitted to?
2, can they be persuded to fit my 1989 230TE? which has a stock wheel size
of 6 1/2J x 15 ET48
3, I realise the offsets are different - would the width of the wheel
dictate the need for a different offset or would I need to use spacers?
4, the stud pattern/spacing is the same but are the diameters of the bolt
holes the same as my W124 wheels
1. R129 SL, the clue is in the part number ;)
2. Yes.
3. Depends, this part requires a bit of maths :)
4. The bolts are *probably* the same.

Steve (MBenzNL) has some SLK rims on his 129 SL, so those bolts must fit through both sets of wheels on both cars, otherwise it wouldn't work. Antony (Bloodmoon) has the SLK/CLK/C class "sport" wheels on his 1990 124 coupé so the w124 wheels must be interchangeable with w202, r170, w208 etc. Mercedes were either lazy in not changing anything over time, or they just got it right first time around. Either way most parts can be made to fit most models without a lot of effort :) . The offset difference sounds huge, but if the wheel is a lot wider then it makes sence because the offset should change with the width of the wheel.

thought I'd update this thread as I finally got around to bolting the wheels on :)

yep, they do fit with no problems, rubbing etc.

8J 16s with 225/50 tyres look a lot nicer than the stock steel ones

Andy

apparently there are two types of bolts used on the W124 alloys, one is 28mm long and the other is 40mm - the length being determined by the wheels offset so a set of the 40mm ones fit perfectly - supplied by nick - [email protected] - for a pound each. Locking bolts from Halfords cost us £30.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom