Wheels Diamond Turned verses painting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martini

Car
C250Cdi 4 Motion Estate
Any recommendations for wheel refinishing. (Colchester Area) My Diamond Turned wheels are in need of refinishing.
What are the costs?
Also has anyone just had them painted as I suspect it will last longer?

I'd say 'most' get them powder coated instead of diamond cut. Things to note:

1) You can only get them diamond cut 1-2 more times
2) Diamond cut essentially always will succumb to 'wheel worm' and you'll be back and square one. Even just the rubbing of the wheel caps in the middle will cause some worm.
3) If you do a slight curb, it's hard to do a 'touch up' repair on the face of a diamond cut wheel
4) Powder coating is harder wearing and will last longer

I personally am going with powder coating, but a more 'interesting' colour like shadow chrome or chrome silver or something that looks a bit more 'special' than a flat powder coat, but without going too crazy and veering from the OEM look.

Don't know any companies in your area, sorry!

You just have to look at the cars with diamond cut wheels of any manufacturer to find the answer.
I’ve never had to get the wheels replaced on any of my cars up until my CLS.

On my old CLS the DC wheels were refurbished at 18k miles , three years later they needed done again due to white worm. I was quoted £110 per wheel for their final refurb so i just sold them and purchased a new set of aftermarket rims in a larger size, Fox MS005 IIRC, for just a few ££ more and as they were new they were guaranteed straight / true so no balancing issues.

fox_zpsr0t6j109 by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

K

Thanks for that. Its a pity I have 2 brand new rear wheels diamond turned. Leaving just 2 fronts to re finish
Don’t like the thought of removing metal to refurbish.
The reason I bought a new rear wheel was because the old one had a hairline crack. Not wanting to trust a welded repair and the cost of refinishing would have been around £150. Brand new wheels were £215 each

The upshot of this sorry tail is I have 2 spare rear wheels. Both with wheel worm but without rim damage. one needs welding.
Probably best to take a hammer to the cracked one. Sell the other on eBay.
Fortunately I am currently using my winter wheels & tyres so have time to ponder all the options.
Unable to attach photos currently.

I'd never opt for diamond cut - they are shyte.

I'm not even that impressed with the look anyway.

Last set of wheels I had like that were powder-coated.

As above. Get them powder coated for the longest life and best finish, which will still be much cheaper (and better) than diamond cutting.

Bets thing I did was getting my wheels finished in shadow Chrome powder coat rather than diamond cutting. They stand out just as well.

If you fancy a trip/can get to Battlesbridge, i recommend a place called lightning motorsport. I’ve had work done by them previously and a friend uses them for some serious body/engine modifications for his 2016 mustang GT. Might be a little further out but they’re great guys

There’s WheelWorx in Bury St Edmunds so not too far from Colchester-they refurbed all 4 wheels on my S204-excellent finish but as everyone else is saying just go powder coated. You are fighting a constant battle to stop corrosion and even with careful parking, regular washing and applying wheel sealent you can’t guard against chips and then that’s it.... I swore I’d never have diamond cut alloys again and the fact my C43 I now have has (previously diamond cut) powder coated wheels was a major plus point.

Me too. Steel wheels with plastic trims were at least practical.
Thanks to everyone for your input. I will contact Wheelworx in Bury st Edmunds.
Have them diamond turn the two front wheels. I will then have a matching set that look good...
Until the wheel worm gets them!

As soon as you get the wheels back coat them with some Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour ceramic coat (about £18 from eBay or amazon). That at least adds a bit more protection.

Well was on the A14 at Bury St Edmunds you could see the Wheel Worx place on the left as you drove along well two weeks ago there was no sign up,maybe they have moved premises,I have use them at their Colchester branch and they are very good.

Interesting the guy who owned colchester was called Trevor. They always did a good job also sold tyres. Very carefully fitted and balanced.
I did pop in to the colchester wheelworx asked for Trevor. To be told he had set up in Bury st Edmunds.
I'll contact Bury wheelworx next week.
Has anyone had diamond turned refinishing at wheelworx colchester recently?
Sorry to go on but I'm a proper fuss pot.

Bets thing I did was getting my wheels finished in shadow Chrome powder coat rather than diamond cutting. They stand out just as well.

Any pics? Who did them for you?

Well was on the A14 at Bury St Edmunds you could see the Wheel Worx place on the left as you drove along well two weeks ago there was no sign up,maybe they have moved premises,I have use them at their Colchester branch and they are very good.
Hi Zipdip thanks for the info. When did you use the colchester wheelworx & did you have diamond turning done. I'm still feel uncomfortable about turning too much off the face of the wheel.
Engineering background makes you super fussy!

I can recommend these people: https://rolling-rims.co.uk/contact-2/

They repaired a diamond cut wheel for me 4 or 5 years back and did a super job. I really couldn't tell it apart from the original wheels. Most of their work is for main dealerships who will charge twice the price. I paid around £70 but it was a while ago.

I see they are now based in Dunmow but they do a pick up and return return service.

Hi Zipdip thanks for the info. When did you use the colchester wheelworx & did you have diamond turning done. I'm still feel uncomfortable about turning too much off the face of the wheel.
Engineering background makes you super fussy!
Hi well I used the Colchester branch about 18 months ago,and yes I had diamond turning done and I am pleased with the result.I left the car there and they did the job in two days,they also offer I think to remove the wheels on your driveway and deliver them back,they may well still be in Bury St Edmunds,but they were/are right besides the A14 heading say to Cambridge practically opposite the sugar refining place on the other side of the road and they had a mega big sign which was not there when I passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom