Which Engine Oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a precautionary measure and in an effort to better protect Mercedes-Benz engines from the potential long term effects of the increased use of ethanol., DCAG has decided to differentiate the engine oils that are used for Gasoline and Diesel engines. As such, Mercedes-Benz 229.5 0W40 engine oil must be used for all gasoline engines including AMG. Mercedes-Benz recommends the use of Mobil 1 0W40 for all gasoline engines including AMG, with the exception of the SLR. 0W40 engine oil is more effective in resisting the possible corrosive effects of acidic moisture that can be caused by the increased use of ethanol [ biofuel]. The SLR requires specification 229.3, Mobil 1 5W50 oil. To maintain the integrity of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), specification 229.51 must be used for Diesel engines.
Ethanol combustion does not produce more acidic by-products but more water content in the oil . Water in oil enables acidic combustion products to dissolve better in it and these acids may accelerate metal corrosion.

The technical reason why they will have made this distinction is that 229.5 and 229.51 have different TBN values . Total Base Number is a measure of an oils ability to cope with acids. In MB's specs 229.51 must have a minimum TBN of 6 while 229.5 has a minimum of 10. I agree that this is only an issue on very long oil change intervals and to put it in perspective the previous petrol spec 229.3 only had a TBN of 7.

Thankfully our petrol still only has a max. of 5% ethanol although they keep threatening to increase it to 10%

The background to this was a huge increase in biofuel production [ some biodiesel but mainly corn derived ethanol] in the US where several states made E10 fuel manditory and was available in several other states at higher concentrations E15, E30 and E85 also. Hence perhaps the need for Mercedes USA concern.

330px-Blender_fuels_pump_-_East_Lansing%2C_MI.JPG

Ethanol fuel in the United States - Wikipedia

Hi guys which oil do I need for a W203 C200 CDI Sport ? I have had a message coming on screen saying need to add 1 litre of oil at next refuel
Many thanks

I can guarantee that your engine is almost empty of oil completely. You will fill up 1 litre then it will say after few hours to fill up another litre so dont waste your time buying only 1 litre. your oil filter will be solidified and hard. the best advice i can give you is buy a service kit and change your oil and filter. like i say u will have almost zero oil. the oil level sensor in the w03s are common for being very late in telling you, you need to top up your oil. buy 10 litres of this >>>>> . your car takes 6.5 litres of it.

Fully Synthetic Engine Oil 5W30 - 5ltr - MB Approved 229.51

Hi guys which oil do I need for a W203 C200 CDI Sport ? I have had a message coming on screen saying need to add 1 litre of oil at next refuel
Many thanks

I can guarantee that your engine is almost empty of oil completely. You will fill up 1 litre then it will say after few hours to fill up another litre so dont waste your time buying only 1 litre. your oil filter will be solidified and hard. the best advice i can give you is buy a service kit and change your oil and filter. like i say u will have almost zero oil. the oil level sensor in the w03s are common for being very late in telling you, you need to top up your oil. buy 10 litres of this >>>>> . your car takes 6.5 litres of it.

Fully Synthetic Engine Oil 5W30 - 5ltr - MB Approved 229.51
How can you guarantee it's empty with almost zero oil, without using a dipstick or draining it from the sump?

From experience working on C Class mercedes. 6 I worked on for customers with the same message on cluster had exactly the same problem. Due to the oil level sensor giving out false readings. They were virtually empty of oil when the 1st message " Top up 1 Litre of Oil at next fuel stop " message came on. How do I know this. Because I done an oil change on all of them draining approx 1 litre of oil which was left in them. So if the customers had put a litre of oil into them it would have came up with the message again put in another litre and so on 5/6 times no doubt until it was full. Why does it not kick up the message when its burnt about 1 litre ? I have no idea. Obviously down to the oil level sensors on some models is the reason Im led to believe. They DO burn a lot of oil as any mercedes enthusiast know so its not un-usual for this to happen if its not topped up and the oil level sensor is not giving the correct messages at the correct time.

How can you guarantee it's empty with almost zero oil, without using a dipstick or draining it from the sump?

I recall that another pro mentioned this issue before on the forum in relation to timing chains. No specific figures but I think the implication was that by the time the low oil level warning came on damage could already have been done.

Glad mine has a dipstick instead of relying on this electronic nonsense that lets you run the engine with only 1 litre of oil in it. The warning light should be coming on when it gets down to 4 litres which equates to the low level mark on the dipstick.

Can you guys tell me if I buy a dipstick where I need to get put it in the engine area?
I aren’t sure what to do ? Filled it up with 1/2 litre and since then have had no more warning at all, not sure if it had anything to do with the service light a coming on too?

Your oil dipstick hole will have a red cap on the top of it probably back right of your engine ( as your looking under the bonnet ). As I advised before, the new oil you are puting in will most likely be mixing in with a lot of sludge that actually needs flushed out and requiring a full oil change. There IS a slim possibility your oil level sensor is ok and given you the message at the right time. Im just saying from experience myself its not been the case. When was your last oil change ?

Can you guys tell me if I buy a dipstick where I need to get put it in the engine area?
I aren’t sure what to do ? Filled it up with 1/2 litre and since then have had no more warning at all, not sure if it had anything to do with the service light a coming on too?

Your oil dipstick hole will have a red cap on the top of it probably back right of your engine ( as your looking under the bonnet ). As I advised before, the new oil you are puting in will most likely be mixing in with a lot of sludge that actually needs flushed out and requiring a full oil change. There IS a slim possibility your oil level sensor is ok and given you the message at the right time. Im just saying from experience myself its not been the case. When was your last oil change ?
We purchased the car in March last year, and I aren’t sure if a service was done after since finding out that the garage who sold us the car are pretty much a waste of space - bad dealers , the documentation that came with the car says June 16 .. oil filter and oil change

We purchased the car in March last year, and I aren’t sure if a service was done after since finding out that the garage who sold us the car are pretty much a waste of space - bad dealers , the documentation that came with the car says June 16 .. oil filter and oil change

Your car will have the ASSYST service system in the instrument cluster menu that should show mileage (or time) remaining until next service.

Of course this will depend on whether the garage actually reset the service indicator when they carried-out the last service.

If the car is pre-2008, then the service interval is flexible, and on low annual mileage cars the service indicator will come-up after around 18 or 24 months from the last service.

From 2008, the service regime is no longer flexible, instead it's strictly xxxxx mileage (depending on car/engine model, and ranges from 9,000 miles to 15,000 miles), or 12 months, whichever comes first.

So on balance if you doubt that the last service was actually carried-out, and even so it will one year ago next month, I would say just get it serviced - 'better safe than sorry'.

On the same note, please see below list of other service items that may need replacing, in addition to the engine oil and filter:

Air filter change - model specific
Fuel filter change - model specific
Pollen (cabin) filter change - usually every 2 years
Brake fluid change - due every 2 years
ATF and filter change (if automatic)
Coolant change - due every 15 years, assuming that the car still has the original MB coolant

With your doubts on the sevice history on your car, I would definately get the service carried out with one of the recommended independent mechanics listed on this site in your area, to give it a proper going over and then you will have peace of mind.

With your doubts on the sevice history on your car, I would definately get the service carried out with one of the recommended independent mechanics listed on this site in your area, to give it a proper going over and then you will have peace of mind.
Where would I find this info about Indies ? I am in stoke on trent !
Many thanks for your help

Yes completely agree with all previous advice. More and more lately I’m dealing with Mercedes cars that garages are resetting the service reminder then simply not bothering to do the service. Some chancers fit new wipers, fill up windscreen washer bottle, wash the car then tell customer, service is done . £200 bill for set of wipers and some screen wash. Buy all your service parts and majority of all independent garages will gladly do a good job for you fitting them all.

Engine type OM605 - Check against the first three digits of your engine number on the V5 registration document for confirmation.

Here is the Mobil recommendation, but other oil brands also have links for you to check. It's basically a matter of personal choice as long as the oil is marked MB-Approved. (Not meets MB Approval).

I have to say I have always used Mobil 1 - recommended by Mercedes. I know it is very expensive but have never had any reliability issues with engine while using it. I used to live right on the M25 so my engine would be going from cold to load in under 5 mins.

I wouldn't worry whether or not the oil is Mercedes-approved; that's just marketing by the oil company. Oil of the right grade from any reputable manufacturer will be just fine.
I hear you. But it is interesting how Mobil 1 keeps cropping up as a a good oil (even if it is expensive) I have never had an engine problem in any make of car I was using it

The best motor oil specification 229.51 / 229.52 is Liqui Moly Top Tec 4600 (product in Deutschland). Much better than mobile1, and Castrol. This is my verdict after 5 years of research. Try it, you will not regret! As a proof, look for its reviews on Amazon and eBay.

MB 229.51 - Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils (Specification 229.51) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids
MB 229.52 - Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils (Specification 229.52) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

Personally I am going with Fuch Titan GT1 C3 5W-30 for my OM651

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom