Which Engine Oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok... just FYI

Did an oil and filter change today on the clc we bought, mainly so I know it has decent oil in it.
I used Mobil 1 0w40, as it’s one of those recommended by MB. Not cheap, but good IMO.

I also used an oil extractor (first time). It was a sealey TP69. Holds 6.5 ltrs, so fine for the clc.
Have to say, great piece of kit. Solid and study, and got the whole lot out in about 7 minutes.
Definitely the way forward for me now... no more getting under the car!

Mine oilly vote goes for Motul 8100X-clean+ (5w-30 C3) specs for diesel w/t DPF and
Motul 8100 X-cess (5W-40) for AMG engine.
For rear diffs Motul Gear Motyl Gear or 300 (75W-90)

:)

The background to this was a huge increase in biofuel production [ some biodiesel but mainly corn derived ethanol] in the US where several states made E10 fuel manditory and was available in several other states at higher concentrations E15, E30 and E85 also. Hence perhaps the need for Mercedes USA concern.

330px-Blender_fuels_pump_-_East_Lansing%2C_MI.JPG

Ethanol fuel in the United States - Wikipedia
Is this fuel ( E10 or higher ) suitable for MB 651.9 Diesel Engines? Or any MB diesel engines?

The E numbers refer to ethanol which is contained in petrol only. Biodiesel [ fame=fatty acid methyl esters - from rape seed] has B numbers and afaik is found in B7 [ 7%] form. http://www.ukpia.com/docs/default-source/download/biofuels_in_the_UK_February_2012.pdf?sfvrsn=0
There is some anecdotal evidence of accelerated wear rates in modern fine tolerance diesel injection systems running high concentrations of biodiesel due to reduced lubricity- how this translates to fuels running fractional biodiesel concentrations I don't know.

Completely agree and is what I use too.

The best motor oil specification 229.51 / 229.52 is Liqui Moly Top Tec 4600 (product in Deutschland). Much better than mobile1, and Castrol. This is my verdict after 5 years of research. Try it, you will not regret! As a proof, look for its reviews on Amazon and eBay.

MB 229.51 - Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils (Specification 229.51) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids
MB 229.52 - Low SPAsh multigrade service engine oils (Specification 229.52) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

2018-11-24 06.50.10.png

You are going to have to help me out here as there isn't any magical specs here , although MB 229.52 isn't bad at all .

If it also carried VW 504.00 507.00 it would be quite decent if the price was right .

Surprised they didn't seek the ACEA C2 , but the MB 229.52 covers and exceeds in that area anyway .

If you want a real niche C3 with off the chart outstanding protection performance with no gimmicks , but with no manufacturer specs !!!

There is one .

Hi Guys,

Newbie here. What's recommended for a 2015 CLS 400? I think the spec is 229.3 but just want to be sure.

Cheers.

229.3 is quite an old spec now. A 2015 model is much more likely to be 229.5. Any quality brand of oil that is MB approved for petrol engines will be 229.5 in any case.

The older 229.3 is the mimimum spec, the newer 229.5 is the recommended spec.

Upgrade to 229.52 or VW 504.00 507.00 !

The VW Quantum Synta oils which meet MB specs can be bought in 20l containers from TPS at very good prices.

Quantum Synta are semi synthetic mediocre oils .

Platinium Plus or LongLife III is where the quality is .

There is a Synta fully synthetic, not just semi. I didn't know they did a semi, I've only ever used their fully synthetic.

But yes, the Platinum ones are the ones which meet the MB specs.

Yes a few now since I last looked , but they're very much the 'Magnatec / GTX' of this world .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom