Which Engine Oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not all synthetics are created equally. Base and additives not as good as castrol edge. Is it on the mb Sheet approved.

From experience working on C Class mercedes. 6 I worked on for customers with the same message on cluster had exactly the same problem. Due to the oil level sensor giving out false readings. They were virtually empty of oil when the 1st message " Top up 1 Litre of Oil at next fuel stop " message came on. How do I know this. Because I done an oil change on all of them draining approx 1 litre of oil which was left in them. So if the customers had put a litre of oil into them it would have came up with the message again put in another litre and so on 5/6 times no doubt until it was full. Why does it not kick up the message when its burnt about 1 litre ? I have no idea. Obviously down to the oil level sensors on some models is the reason Im led to believe. They DO burn a lot of oil as any mercedes enthusiast know so its not un-usual for this to happen if its not topped up and the oil level sensor is not giving the correct messages at the correct time.
I know I'm well late on this thread. But something people don't do these days is check the oil and water at least once a week

I think I was told by my indie or maybe on here that MB use Fuchs oil in engines from the factory. Cotrary to everyones belief that it must be Petronas as on F1 cars.
At one point, Mercedes only recommended Mobil 1 for all their AMG engines.

At one point, Mercedes only recommended Mobil 1 for all their AMG engines.
All down to sponsorship deals.
Factory fill is now Petronas brand who just happen to sponsor Mercedes F1 AMG.
No doubt if Shell/Castrol etc had a deal with Mercedes, that oil would be recommended.

No doubt if Shell/Castrol etc had a deal with Mercedes, that oil would be recommended.
I don't think it was, the dealers all used Mobil 1 then changed to Shell Helix, but all AMG engines had to get Mobil 1 for many years after.

Synthetic base groups are industry standards .
There are many that exceed
Synthetic base groups are industry standards .
five diff categories according to API in USA
To meet group five they will be the best synths. Like I said there are categories and since the 1920s there have developed from mineral to super complex synthetic tech a

Tell me about zinc ?
Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates or ZDDP is the zinc. It’s in in Valvoline vr1, et al. Good for engine wear and great for racing. There’s very low content in cheap oil also environmentalists moan about metals and the environmental damage..!

Even sponsors like petronas have to meet or exceed the mb spec otherwise they can’t be mb approved or on the mb spec sheet

Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates or ZDDP is the zinc. It’s in in Valvoline vr1, et al. Good for engine wear and great for racing. There’s very low content in cheap oil also environmentalists moan about metals and the environmental damage..!

Oil... funniest damn subject on any car forum.

Zinc is a question of more is not better in fact it can upset the balance and create some undesirable affects .

Zinc is about having enough to last the drain period as it sacrificially gets used up .

I use Mannol oil

I check this sheet for approval

Did I check wrong spec sheet, I thought this was MB sheet

Thanks

Tezz

I use Mannol oil

I check this sheet for approval

Did I check wrong spec sheet, I thought this was MB sheet

Thanks

Tezz

Agreed, I bought 20L a few weeks ago, delivered for £36.54 🙂

That's right we already have industry standards , if there's something asmiss we have VLS and that's why even supermarket oil is just as good as branded as a spec is a spec .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom