• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Wis Epc

boblydon

Car
merc e320...jaguar xk
This is without doubt the worst and hardest to use manufacturers data system ever invented, the person who designed it should be shot in front of a firing squad, i personally would pay to fire the first shots.

Over the years i have subscribed to many manufactures data programs and never ever had a problem.

From a leading luxury car maker you should be ashamed at this piece of **** you have, you could not have made it harder for the average person to use....why do you leave parts of the descriptions in german??????, why is there not an obvious section for the SRS data??????

I would bet that a long long time is spent in training your staff in using this **** system, can't understand why you make using it so hard.

Bob

really?? I dont find it hard once you understand what 'covering' vs 'lining' is for example. anyway - its for staff not the hoi poli like you and I.

I do like the part numbering system
a140 01 02 03
where 140 is the chassis type that the part was originally designed for, 01 is the subsection - eg electrical, body, steering etc. 02 is the subsection of that - so say electrical sensor, engine is 02, electrical sensor windscreen is 97. the last number is then just that part.

People are not always aware that he system is designed for MB techs and not the man in the street.

My understanding is that they are trained to use it, whereas you or I just have to learn our own way around...

It is clunky but once you get used to it all the information is there.

I think it more, they spend a lot of time and money training their technicians and then give them this tool to prompt or aide them.

It's not ment for the average person its meant for techs already trained in repair and servicing of Mercedes Benz vehicles.

Thanks for the replies, can't understand why it can't all be in english, even after you select f2 and change it to english.

I have scoured it and can't find any info on SRS, in paticular the location of the front crash sensors on my w211 2007, it must be there somewhere, but it is a nightmare locating it, why they could not put it with the other sub sections i don't know.

Was just thinking i was stupid trying to use it.

Still think they make it a nightmare even if they do it for there own staff, the mechanics and parts staff at my local dealers even think it is a nightmare and they use it everyday

Bob

Last edited:
Repairing the car is the easy bit, working your way around the system is hard the hard bit

Thanks for the replies, can't understand why it can't all be in english, even after you select f2 and change it to english.

I have scoured it and can't find any info on SRS, in paticular the location of the front crash sensors on my w211 2007, it must be there somewhere, but it is a nightmare locating it, why they could not put it with the other sub sections i don't know.

Was just thinking i was stupid trying to use it.

Still think they make it a nightmare even if they do it for there own staff, the mechanics and parts staff at my local dealers even think it is a nightmare and they use it everyday

Bob

Even some trained technicians have a hard time with it .

I wanted a fuel hose for my C270 ; I had the car there and the partsman came out and I pointed to the hose I wanted . Twenty minutes later , he couldn't find it , neither could his mate , or his supervisor , I was looking at the computer screen with them - after an hour we gave up .

I spent a couple of hours on EPC looking for it at home , without success . Ended up getting some generic fuel hose from my local motor factor .

Even some trained technicians have a hard time with it .

I wanted a fuel hose for my C270 ; I had the car there and the partsman came out and I pointed to the hose I wanted . Twenty minutes later , he couldn't find it , neither could his mate , or his supervisor , I was looking at the computer screen with them - after an hour we gave up .

I spent a couple of hours on EPC looking for it at home , without success . Ended up getting some generic fuel hose from my local motor factor .

Biggest problem I find is knowing what somebody decided to call something?. To you and me, a "bolt" would be just that. On this system it could be called anything. A classic is the "gearbox plug" for the controller etc. Its called something like a "pilot bush". To me, that would be a bearing, or something. I would never have called it that. Its a connector. A plug. etc
Like others have said, the parts are all there, but finding them is the issue.

Neil

Part of the problem I believe is the literal translation from German. Technical translation is extremely difficult because often the noun describing a component or device is composed by reference to its function. Lets take something simple like a grommet [ENGLISH definition:- an eyelet placed in a hole in a sheet or panel to protect or insulate a rope or cable passed through it or to prevent the sheet or panel from being torn.] its German equivalent might be Tülle

yet in German Tülle can mean any of the following according to context

spout = Tülle, Ausguss, Schnabel, Schnauze, Wasserhahn, Ausflussrohr

nozzle =Düse, Stutzen, Tülle, Spritzdüse

pipe= Rohr, Leitung, Rohrleitung, Pfeife, Flöte, Tülle

Thus a "Tülle" might come out in English as a spout, nozzle or pipe not a grommet. :dk:

ps with reference to your SRS problem you really need to get the car on Star to trouble shoot the system. I can't see crash inertial sensors going wrong very often except after an accident. Much more likely to be a wiring problem. IRRC the commonest fault with the SRS system is with the seat occupancy sensors or their wiring under the seats?

This is without doubt the worst and hardest to use manufacturers data system ever invented, the person who designed it should be shot in front of a firing squad, i personally would pay to fire the first shots.

Over the years i have subscribed to many manufactures data programs and never ever had a problem.

From a leading luxury car maker you should be ashamed at this piece of **** you have, you could not have made it harder for the average person to use....why do you leave parts of the descriptions in german??????, why is there not an obvious section for the SRS data??????

I would bet that a long long time is spent in training your staff in using this **** system, can't understand why you make using it so hard.

Bob

boblydon,

I've left you some information and photos on your original thread, hope they are of some use.

Regards,

Dash1

Thanks again lads for your time in reading and replying to my post.

Have had the car on star and it points to the n/s crash sensor, one thing i forgot to mention this car had been involved in a front end crash about 18 months ago, i repaired it and all was fine, no faults etc, it was only about a months ago the warning came up on the dash with the warning light.........hoping the plug has come loose (wishful thinking).

Thanks Dash1, have replied

Bob

Last edited:
I can offer only sympathy, but plenty of that; it's a b****y awful system. I usually find what I want - eventually......

No thanks WIS or EPC, but plenty of thanks to Dash1 and his photo's have located the sensors swapped them over and star now shows the fault on the drivers side......so first thing in the morning i will order a new one.

Feel much better venting my anger, also knowing i am not alone in my hatered of the Merc system

Bob

I tried it today for the first time, as an mb owners club member the epc is free to use for the full year of membership

After starting it up and changing to English language in the setup all seemed to be straight forward to find what I wanted. It does help knowing the VIN number but you can search with out it.

I've not had a problem myself: both systems have been very useful and saved me lots of money. The only part I have not been able to find are the plugs for the tailgate hinge covers (challenge to anyone, it's not A002 997 33 86 and doesn't appear on 74.015).

It's primarily in German with extensive but not 100% complete translations because Mercedes-Benz is a German company and WIS/EPC are not intended for end-users like you or me.

The only part I have not been able to find are the plugs for the tailgate hinge covers (challenge to anyone, it's not A002 997 33 86 and doesn't appear on 74.015).

Over the years I've found maybe half a dozen part number or quantity errors in the EPC. With such a huge database I suppose it's only to be expected.

Did you get it resolved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom