Would you pay over the top for car that was in exceptional condition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Just wondered....Would you pay over the top for car that was in exceptional condition..i.e. usual examples were £15-£18k but was sticking to £20k as it was almost perfect with all the goodies and very low miles...plus full MB Service history...

Yes, just (probably) did

Fixing a few issues either out of necessity or your own OCD could bump up the price of the almost / 95% car close to the already perfect 100% car anyway
And , in the end, you'd most likely be thinking about the 100% one, the compromises made when sitting in the 95% one with regrets and asking why didn't I just.....

AND, if you're not stretching yourself beyond what you can afford, and if it is only a grand and a half which over a few years is nothing, unless it is and then stick to what you can justify or afford and stage the later costs
£5k or 20% could be a lot to you if the lower end ones are good (enough) mind - only you know that

Want to share the options for everyone to chip in on.......?

Yes and I have done. My CLS63 was owned by Ed at Devine Detail's father in law, it was seriously low mileage and exceptional condition. I could have paid £4k less for one with four time the mileage and more average condition but this one was exceptional and I felt totally worth it.

Also I think it's what your intention for the car is. Will it be a car you'll keep forever or one you'll use every day and move on in X years time. If the latter then perhaps mileage isn't so much a concern and you can just got for a good, solid, tidy example of an, 'average' example. What I've done with my last S Class and CL, I know I'll be using them regularly, so mileage wasn't so much an issue and normal wear and tear wasn't too much of a concern.

Just wondered....Would you pay over the top for car that was in exceptional condition..i.e. usual examples were £15-£18k but was sticking to £20k as it was almost perfect with all the goodies and very low miles...plus full MB Service history...
Yes, as long as it’s not completely ridiculous I would pay over the odds for something exceptional. You have to ask yourself if there’s anything else like it (if near perfect is what you are looking for) and how likely is it you would come across it again.

Not if the cheaper car had defects that I could fix myself and didn't involve paintwork: In fact I just did as ours was £3k or so cheaper than other examples, but the only issues were some light surface scuffs that I knew I could buff/wet sand out (already have done) and a proper detailing job. If I put mine side by side with the more expensive ones now it would look just as good I think: Neighbours have already asked if it's a new car and what does the private plate signify (it's a '16').

Depends on the gap. Some people really take the pee on mint cars. When my wife bought her R170 SLK years back we looked at one that was completely mint with just 30k on even had brand new seats as the OCD owner did not light the tiny amount of wear on them (i saw the originals)......but it was over £5k more than a virtually identical one that was a bit under 50k miles and in very good (most people would have advertised it as mint) condition. To us the mileage did not matter (my wife only does about 2 to 3000 miles per year in her cars so even high mileages cars end up low mileage when we sell them after a few years!). And the minor faults on the other one (which we bought) were ironed out for a fraction of the £5k difference. So yes I will pay more for a "cleaner" car but the difference in price has to be sensible. You can a guarantee that your dealer wont give much over book price for the minter......normally they will subtract cash for issues with the car rather quicker than they will quote more for the minter!!!

Depends how likely you are to find another one. Paid what I considered to be top money for my AMG GTS but 15 months later still not seen another of comparable spec or that I would have bought instead - and I’d been looking for 8 months at that point

for the sake of a couple of grand, buy the car. You’ll only regret not doing so later

If the car was in exceptional condition and had the options I was searching for......yes. I'd pay top price.

Yes, I've just paid full asking price for a car that I've been talking myself out of for 5 years. I know I'm paying too much for it, but there really aren't that many of them in the UK to start with. The pool is pretty small.

This one came up and it was about as close to one of the colour and option combinations I would have chosen if I had the ability and funds to have bought one from new. So really it wasn't a consideration. I wanted it, if I was to have it, that was the number I needed to pay.

I always put in my criteria on AT, then sort lowest to highest so probably not. 😂 Then again, I enjoy ‘improving’ my cars, I think if they were all 100% mint I’d get pretty bored.:)

No Brainer, if the motor was a minter, with very low mileage, and the exact options I was looking for, the Yes definitely, when I got my C207, 4 years ago, could have got one cheaper, but not as nice, with higher milage, and not the exact spec I wanted, so why would you for the inferior car, and keep it nice and well maintained, which I do, you'll get more, when the time comes to sell it on. 🙂👍

Yes.

I’m usually on the opposite side. Selling a car (1 owner) in exceptional condition.

I’ve found that buyers do not want to pay extra for well cared for cars with loads of extras. They always seem to want to negotiate for a baseline model price (private sale) from Parkers.

Hopefully next time I sell my next car, it will be to one of you guys.:):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom