2.0L W201 190E with M102.962 help the new guy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GTSr32

Car
Skyline
Hello Guys and Gals

Im very new here! Actually just joined so a "Hello to all" :eek: I hope you guys can help me out! :thumb: I m just about to buy a 1993 Merc 190E 2.0L nice car few bit here and there on the body but generally a nice car with no rot!

So got to view the car last night after sitting up for about a year. Looked over the engine seamed good no doggy looking wiring or any missing parts. Oil looked good, although looks like rocker cover gasket is leaking ( noticeably from the front around the half moon slot, inlet manifold looked to be covered in oil ( much of a job changing the rocker cover gasket on these engines? or is there anything to be worried about by this oil on the inlet?)

So got the jump leads out and started the engine no coughs and seamed to fire straight off and settled at a even idle! OIL pressure went straight up and all seamed well! :thumb:

So back out under the bonnet ! pulled the dip stick and no change in idle so happy that the compression in the correct place :p Now while looking about the engine while I was doing the general snoop about and seamed to hear a whine from the inlet side of the engine seamed very mechanical and purposeful BUT i was a little set back by this! :dk: dont think it was the water pump looked fresh and didnt seam to be coming from the front of the engine!

As i have mentioned it sounded like it was coming from the in-let manifold side.... Could it be the normal noise ? im new so i dont know :wallbash:

I taught might be the injector pump? if anyone has any input or advice? I know the car and can check it again if i need too!

P>S also sorry guys i know I'm asking a lot already! I think the steering shock is gone! would this make a squeak while turning the steering wheel?

If anyone has any in-put i would be most grateful!

Regards Chris

Might be the air pump perhaps? If the noise disappears when the engine has warmed up, that might be it.

Have you checked power steering fluid level? Would explain both issues.

No didnt check that fluid !

Are they known for leaking? and causing a mess ?

NO but level can get low over time, it just uses Dex2 ATF or red power steering fluid...

the rocker can leak on these, no big deal, just a new gasket needed.

Sorry ! i have looked at images of the engine bay this! maybe the cause all along! ill keep you guys posted!

Whine from the inlet side could be from the distributer? Squeak during steering could be the suspension arm bottom ball joints- you should check these ASAP as failure can cause the front suspension to collapse

Iv heard enough bad storys about the ball joints iv a set on pre-order if i go ahead with the buy!

Whine from distributor is this the norm? or is there a bad problem?

Iv heard enough bad storys about the ball joints iv a set on pre-order if i go ahead with the buy!

Whine from distributor is this the norm? or is there a bad problem?
To be fair I have not heard of many mechanical problems with distributors - caps /leads/ rotor arms yes but mechanical parts = unusual. Its just it fits the bill, in terms of where the sound is coming from.
You should also have a look at this other forum. :thumb:
Mercedes-190.co.uk

Many thanks guys ! Going to have a fresh look at it again! armed with the info! and have a snoop about it again!

Just on the back of this guys~ im going to have a look at the Merc again this weekend!

I have looked over most of the buying guides here and mercedes-190.co.uk

Anything i can check engine wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom