209 200 CLK 05 facelift or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexinessex

Car
200 CLK
Hmmm... Well Im sure quite a few of you will be be pleased when I finally get my CLK :)

I now have 2 in my sight (sighs of relief) They are both 05 models, AvantGarde and in the silver I want. However, one is the 05 facelift/refresh and the other not. Im not able to see them next to each other to see the smaller/other differences. The pre facelift is £600.00 cheaper and 30,000 miles less too

Just curious if anyone knows the exact differences in the 05 facelift on the 200 CLK. I can see the instrument cluster has changed from black to white and also the middle consul with the radio looks slightly different.

Any other changes please?

PS hope your all having a great Christmas! :)

Many thanks

Last edited:
Look for a 270cdi engine, faster and more frugal. Major changes to quality took place prior to the to 2004 IIRC, but a facelifted car is nicer to have

Hi Steve. Many thanks for the reply. Im decided on the 200 CLK as it suits my needs now. I cant run to the late 06 184bhp version so its the earlier 200 CLK model/s for me.

The E class looks very different at the front. I did a google search for W209 pre and post 05 and why I was asking on here if anyone can tell me the changes. Pics would be even better

In fact Im even more confused now! Just looked at a 270 CLK with the black instrument cluster so pre 05 and it has different rear lights to later 05 onwards... then I saw an 05 with black instrument cluster with the newer rear lights!

There must be a web site somewhere that list the changes/pictures even? :(

Last edited:
The facelift model has the following:

- Updated interior, dash and cluster display
- Clear lens upfront
- Tinted lights at rear
- Sharper bumpers
- Bigger wheels
- 3 Fin Grille

If you go for the facelifted Sport model like I had then you get the AMG style kit, 18" AMG Wheels, Drilled disks upfront, Sport steering wheel with Paddel shift.

Hi.. Cool many thanks!

All be it had to smile as on Pistonheads there is a 04 CLK with the new upgraded interior etc!

Have a feeling now that maybe the upgrade was October 04
and CLKs I have seen on 05 and 06 plates with the non upgrade are just pre october 04 models that were not sold/registered until later

I have seen some '03 and '04 PRE facelift CLKs with the facelift lights and grille. Some owners prefer the look and mod them to look like facelift.

I had a pre-facelift C sports coupe and have to say the facelift version (lights, grille, interior upgrades) really was a lot better. Nicer quality feel and also more rust resistant. CLK is probably the same.

This 04 CLK had the instrument cluster and center consul changes (white) and was a September 04. Im not fussed with regards to the outside, I dont mind either of the bumper set ups and kinda prefer the non face lift rear lights. But do prefer the slight changes inside that were made mid production. Im still of the mind that September 04 was the actual face lift introduction date, all be it maybe many dealers were still shifting stock well into 05 and maybe why mostly later in 05 saw more face lift cars? even though a few non face lift models are around and on sale on 06 plates. Its funny when I drove BMW's for many years I knew the ins and outs of all my models... new ball game need to get used to it :) Just cant wait to see if I buy one of the two 200 CLKs I have my eye on :)

I'm surprised you've come across an 05 plate CLK thats pre facelift. The facelift came on the 04 plate CLKs such that by 54/ 05 Reg they should all be facelift. However you do find some stragglers that hung around dealerships unsold (uncommon for a Mercedes).

One major difference I identified is with the electrics and audio equipment.

Pre facelift CLKs have whats called D2B navigation with CD Rom disks whilst facelift CLKs run on a system called MOST which have DVD navigation run faster and hold more maps on one disk. May not matter much if you are not keen on Comand but you may wish to upgrade later.

It is not impossible to utilise bluetooth with pre facelift cars but it is a lot easier with MOST equipped CLKs as there are more products on offer in the market.
A few other differences but pre facelift cars if you happen to buy one are still very enjoyable.
Mine was a 270 CDI and it was fabulous but I see you are considering a 200 which is just as good if it suits your current needs.

Have a good time choosing as they are really good and stylish.

Hi Thanks again for some great info. I decided to buy the 200 petrol over the 220 or 320 CDIs which I had researched in detail... I have spotted quite a few 05 plate pre face lift and one 06 all 200 CLKs...

The 05 I know is a facelift Im going to see tomorrow or Tuesday as its local and been up for sale for months. The other is miles away and cant get the full spec until end of next week :( all be it I have the VIN. I tried a dealer to see if they could tell me if it was facelift or not but struggled! lol I even tried a couple of online VIN detail checkers but drew a blank

Ask them to email you a photo of the interior. You'll know instantly if it's pre or post facelift.

Enjoy the search! :)

Pre-facelift

2003.2.24nBYS02F_interior2_Mercedes_CLK500Avantgarde.jpg

Facelift (ignore the wood trim)

00023427_Thecarspy_Mercedes-Benz_200_Mercedes-Benz.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Many thanks, I can see the difference... Did the white instrument cluster come with the AvantGarde only?
MB have told me they cant tell me if the second car I want to go and see is a facelift or not just from the date on their system as the date is the reg date and might not be the date it was built :(

Last edited:
I think avantgarde and sport had white instruments. In my opinion the elegance just does not look right for a coupe. Mainly the wheels and the wood look wrong to me

This is my first venture into the world of MB and as much as I loved wood in my BMW's have to agree I love the metal of the AvantGarde over the wood in the Elegance, all be it I did see this very dark wood, almost a dark grey, that looked quite nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom