3 or 6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is a god!

Got confirmation today from MB Northampton. My corrosion problems will be sorted out by MB under a goodwill gesture! :bannana:

They will replace the whole tailgate, repair the corrosion around the tailgate hinges and repair the OSR wing and rear door.

The car is booked in for the week commecing 28th June.

So bearing in mind my car was manufactured 31/12/97 and first registered in the UK on 04/04/98 and was an import, I think their is hope for all of you with corrosion problems. Keep on at them!!

If anybody wants to pursue MB and use the info I have collated, feel free ask me for it.

Well, I have seriously been thinking of selling it and getting an Audi (A4 not TT :D ) but I guess this has restored my faith in the marque and I shall try and keep it a few more years as planned.

a end for a end

brill news jimmy but look a t my thread wire brush and dettol dont look to good for the rest eh :mad:

Laughter time

Ok people, as I told you earlier in this thread, my brothers '99 CLK has rust appearing on all 4 wheel arches.

Off to MB stealership about a claim, after a few photos etc, he discovers they will pay for it to be done :)

That was 2 weeks ago, this morning he recives a call from the stealers to report a problem.

From what I gather he has been told that JB sprays or whoever have managed to ether paint over the blinking mirrors or fit pre-facelift front wings with holes - the latter I think.
My brother reckons he was blabbering on for ages about the mirrors + facelift.

So he is Merc-less for another week

mark.t said:
brill news jimmy but look a t my thread wire brush and dettol dont look to good for the rest eh :mad:

Yes, I am well chuffed, I really thought I was going nowhere with it. I have since thought about asking them to fix a car park ding in the front passenger door whilst they are at it, it really needs the whole door painting which will usually mean painting the whole side so I don't know how much extra they will want. It is a proper MB bodyshop and I think they charge something like £85/hour, no harm in asking.

@jimmy

Great result :D:D:D

I will now have to get you to inspect my 'oh so minor' possible beginnings of corrosion around the tailgate handle, at the GTG, and see if you think I have a case !

S.

ding

same as you jimmy wife dented the cill near the back door very deep and scraped all the way to the rear wheels did it trying to avoid a bloody ****ing electric scooter thingy :mad: at our caravan the last week asked for a quote and £100 was the price all that neads doing is the prep work as the paint is ordered and payed for,i think its a good deal any thoughts

was going to come to the gtc but car at body shop will come to next one, just too far kettering in a ford fizza

Last edited:
jimmy said:
Yes, I am well chuffed, I really thought I was going nowhere with it. I have since thought about asking them to fix a car park ding in the front passenger door whilst they are at it, it really needs the whole door painting which will usually mean painting the whole side so I don't know how much extra they will want. It is a proper MB bodyshop and I think they charge something like £85/hour, no harm in asking.

Get it done!! The work will be warranted by them and to MB standard, and the best bit...the bodyshops normally charge £25 per hour and do part charge if already working ono the car. ;)

Have you guys looked carefully UNDER the car on a high ramp?
You might be horrified if you look around the rear exhaust shield, along the floorpan seams, and subframe :crazy:

Last edited:
uumode said:
Have you guys looked carefully UNDER the car on a high ramp?
You might be horrified if you look around the rear exhaust shield, along the floorpan seams, and subframe :crazy:

I was expecting the worst but the underneath is in better conditon than the top!! No sign of any rust apart from around the rear wishbones, but actually on the arms and not the chassis.

I rustproofed mine and its perfect underneath. :bannana: :bannana:

Dieselman said:
I rustproofed mine and its perfect underneath. :bannana: :bannana:

If only Mercedes Benz Stuttgart had rust proofed mine :(

Took my 97R reg W210 to my local MB dealer 2 weeks a go to inspect the front n/s wing for rust. After a close inspection by the bodyshop manager it was pointed out to me that i needed ,2front wings & 4doors and he would submit a claim to MB for the repairs.
Had a phone call from the dealer on wednsday to say the repairs have been OK by
MB. I'm well pleased with the result.

I would urge anybody else with corrosion problems to get to a dealer as soon as possible, don't think because it is an R-reg it is too old, get it looked at now.

Mine was repaired with a new tailgate last week and it was a 97.Get it quick while they are doing goodwill repairs.

rusty

mb seem to be getting the hang of these rust probs, practice makes perfect

Speaking to the guy who is doing my car, he reckons that he is averaging 1 car each week with warranty rust repairs :eek:
On top of all the work being carried out by MB warranty I am having 2 wings repaired and the roof done (100's of stone chips) resulting in the whole car being resprayed for £600 +vat, so I will have got rid of all the minor blemishes in the paintwork and removed all the damage caused by the last owner using car washes. :mad:
not a bad price for the size of the car :D

Mines been done now!

My 99 E300TD has just come back from the body shop with 4 new doors and a new tailgate. Even with a humongous mileage and no MB service history, MB have honoured their warranty (whatever it might be this week).

Interestingly, the body shop uses all the old parts from the old doors, including the seals, even if they are stained with rust. One of my seals had actually worn through so I paid for a new one. The body shop was not a MB dealer, but a local approved body shop, so I had a Corsa as a courtesy car. This was arranged directly with the body shop without involving the dealer.

Hope this gives encouragement to those starting down the path of rust claims!

Nick

DrNick said:
Interestingly, the body shop uses all the old parts from the old doors, including the seals, even if they are stained with rust. One of my seals had actually worn through so I paid for a new one.
Nick

That's interesting.

Now you need to put lashings of car wax on the tops of the doors and bottom sills to help prevent it happening again from the poor drainage design.

Just spoke to MB Central about how my claim is progressing as I'd not heard from them for a while (and given recent successes).

They've lost my claim. Great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom