3 or 6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
uumode said:
That's interesting.

Now you need to put lashings of car wax on the tops of the doors and bottom sills to help prevent it happening again from the poor drainage design.
I mentioned this to the bodyshop. They would recommend Vaseline under the seals at the top of the door, as this would also 'moisturise' the rubber!

I will say no more!

Nick

DrNick said:
I mentioned this to the bodyshop. They would recommend Vaseline under the seals at the top of the door, as this would also 'moisturise' the rubber!

I will say no more!

Nick

Vasaline ? that cant be right ... i am sure the chemicals in that would do some serious damage to the lacquer and paint layer ...

Any ideas of other better wax products to use under the seals ?

Alternative Technology

Vasaline ? that cant be right ... i am sure the chemicals in that would do some serious damage to the lacquer and paint layer ...

How about KY Jelly? That's water-based like the MB paints. :devil:

Use rust preventative oil. Apply it with a brush or spray can and it will be sucked up by capillary action.

Interesting about the seals as my local dealer always fits new seals when replacing doors.

Dieselman said:
Use rust preventative oil. Apply it with a brush or spray can and it will be sucked up by capillary action.

How about WD40, would that be good if sprayed under the rubber door seals ?

Don't Give Up.....

Heres my story:

About six months ago I took my car into MB Coventry to look at my boot lid lock and my front NS wing. Bloke took one look and said "No chance". Not to be put off and feeling optimistic given everyone's success in this thread, I took the car to MB Birmingham (was Gerard Mann) for them to look. This was late May this year. Again, they took one look and said "We doubt it very much". Later that day their bodyshop manager told me that the MB corrosion warranty was three years, and given my car was five and a half years old, they wouldn't touch it.

Not put off, I rang Daimler Chrysler Customer Services and complained about the service I had received. I told them that I believed the warranty period to be six years for paintwork, and that poor paint finish on my model year car was well documented both in the Internet and in the Press, and I could provide references if requested. The lady I spoke to said she would contact MB Birmingham and they would get back to me.

Anyway, surprise surprise at the end of May I got a call from MB Central saying could I bring the car in for them to prepare a corrosion claim? I duly did. Then followed a period of eerie silence until last week when I phoned to chase them. They said the claim had been submitted and they would take it up with DC-UK.

I got the phone call earlier today I have been waiting for.....Mercedes will pay in full for ALL work to be carried out on my car. It goes in July 26th and they will provide me with a courtesy car whilst mine is being repaired. I shall also get them to do a full front end respray too, so the car looks A1 again.

Faith restored, happy as larry.

MORAL: Don't take no for an answer. There is undoubtedly a problem afflicting cars built around the time of mine (July 1998). Just don't give up. If one dealership fobs you off, go to another. Get a third opinion if you have to.

Mercedes is a prestige brand, and we pay a premium for this. To this end you are entitled to a quality product.

If anyone needs advice or support, drop me a PM.

Finally, the Customer Services number I used is: 0080017777777 Its 00800 at the front because it is a Freefone number but diverts abroad.

Best of luck to anyone going through this process.

Greg :rock:

I got mine back from the MB Bodyshop in Northampton yesterday, they had it for 8 days. The work they have done is OK, not 100% but pretty good. My main gripe is they have failed to sort out the corrosion around the actual tailgate hinges although they have fitted a new tailgate. They said they did not realise I wanted this doing. :devil:

They also inspected the whole car and found rust on the inside of both front wheel arches, they submitted another claim and MB have agreed to paying 55% of the costs of one side but not the other, but from what I can make out it is going to cost around £700 per side!!!

So as Greg has said, don't give up.

jimmy said:
I got mine back from the MB Bodyshop in Northampton yesterday, they had it for 8 days. The work they have done is OK, not 100% but pretty good. My main gripe is they have failed to sort out the corrosion around the actual tailgate hinges although they have fitted a new tailgate. They said they did not realise I wanted this doing. :devil:

They also inspected the whole car and found rust on the inside of both front wheel arches, they submitted another claim and MB have agreed to paying 55% of the costs of one side but not the other, but from what I can make out it is going to cost around £700 per side!!!

So as Greg has said, don't give up.

I did say up the thread did you look UNDER the car :D
and I urge anyone with a W210 variant to inspect carefully underneath the car with a torch.

When my car goes in on Monday I will also print off the photos of the corrosion to make sure they treat the bits. I'm still fighting my case for the corrosion underneath the car as they say it's not covered, but they are going to reassess the case when they have the car in.

It's really worrying about the quality of the work :crazy:
I got my VW back today after some paint warranty work and that is fine.

I took my w210 (registered Jan 1997 mileage 127000) into Mercedes of Stratford this morning for them to check it over for a corrosion claim.
A VERY nice man inspected it, created a call reference, and advised me that in his opinion, I didn't have a chance in hell, to which I replied that if the claim was rejected, I would contact D-C direct to progress it further.
I will keep you informed on the progress.
Also this thread/forum has been an invaluable point of reference for me - many thanks to all of those who have contributed.

Ted, if you get no joy, speak to someone on the Customer Service number I mention in my last post.

Don't, repeat DO NOT take no as an answer. MB are well aware of these issues.

Ted, if you get no joy, speak to someone on the Customer Service number I mention in my last post.

I will indeed, many thanks.

I'll keep you posted...........

Well I've just had appoval for 4 new doors and a wing (2000 E320 CDi Estate) at a cost of over £4k. I've already had the tailgate replaced under warranty earlier this year. They wanted to see the service booklet this time, wheras they didn't want to see it when it was just the talgate to be done.

It would be interesting to see how many people now have had their doors/sills tailgates etc sprayed, and more importantly how long it lasts (assuming owners are going to keep their cars for a fairly lengthy time)

Once repaired the areas treated are only guaranteed against corrosion for the warranty of the repair 1,2,3 years or whatever the length of the warranty repair is, and doesn't follow the 30 year Mobilolife warranty anymore.

How long is the warranty repair for? My car is still being sprayed.

As long as the work is performed by an authorised MB repairer then the Mobilo Life warranty stands.

I got a phone call from MB Northampton today, they are not happy with the work they have done and want it back in to finish the job properly!!

They have also agreed to carry out the repairs to the 2 front wings at a cost of £900 to me even after MB have agreed to pay a part of it. I think I will be getting under the arches myself with some black Hammerite.

jimmy said:
They have also agreed to carry out the repairs to the 2 front wings at a cost of £900 to me

Shouldn't you have agreement in it :eek:
(especially when cost is involved)

"Sir, we have also agreed to carry out the rust proofing (again) at the exclusive cost to you of only £1500" :eek:

uumode said:
Shouldn't you have agreement in it :eek:
(especially when cost is involved)

"Sir, we have also agreed to carry out the rust proofing (again) at the exclusive cost to you of only £1500" :eek:

I have not agreed to it, I made it quite clear that I thought they were taking the p*ss, the odd thing is MB have agreed to pay 65% of the OSF wing repair and 0% of the NSF wing. So one side will cost me £197 the other side nearly £700 or they will repair rather than replace the NS for £260 but will not guarantee their work.

Seeing as the corrosion is on the inside of the wheel arches and cannot be seen from outside, I think I will sand it down and paint it with Hammerite or something to kill the rust, only I (and you lot!) will know about it then.

Well I got my car back today, looks very good till you get close, the doors and boot lid need lining up properly, (about an hours work when I get time to take it in) but I am well chuffed with the quality of the paint job..Now all I need is to find out where to get some crome replacement strips for between the door and side windows, any one know where I can get them?
As a bonus I also got a new key for free because of an error on the dealers parts ordering, I can only guess that the part number is nearly the same as a body part.

Attachments

• window strip.JPG
    window strip.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom