• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A-Levels

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
To all those with offspring receiving their results today, I hope they get the results they hoped for and that they're a springboard for their future.

In case they're not, this is what one Jeremy Clarkson has had to say about it this morning:

"Don’t worry if your A level results aren’t what you were hoping for. I got a C and two Us, and here I am, 46 years later, with my own pub.
It opens next weekend if you fancy dropping in."

IMO a fuss over nothing, my results just turned up in the post when I were a lad,
It means a lot when you’ve worked your a*** off to get a university offer and your fate one month later depends on those results?

It means a lot when you’ve worked your a*** off to get a university offer and your fate one month later depends on those results?
It meant just as much when I had a job offer depending on results 😂

Back in those days, you could be relatively certain that the post would arrive on the scheduled day.

It meant just as much when I had a job offer depending on results 😂
You’d be able to apply for another job the same year though. If you miss your university offer, unless you pick up a course on clearing, you’ve got a year effectively wasted until the next cycle.

I get sick of the coverage the media give to this every year now. When I got my results years ago they just arrived in the post, there wasn't the frenzy about everyone having to go to the school and get the results and then all the tears and tantrums cause " oh no, I can't get on my preferred course in meeja studies!"

....and every year without fail the media (quite often the BBC) have air time devoted to telling those who did $hit in their A levels 'not to worry' etc etc ...after spending months telling them how to study for them and how important the results are to their future. :doh:.

One more reason for the youth to be confused ...

In the distant past students had to compete for a university place. Now it seems that universities compete for students.

That's how business works . It appears they will take almost anyone ...as long as they get paid to take them on.

Reactions: JHS
In the distant past students had to compete for a university place. Now it seems that universities compete for students.
Totally depends on what course…

This is not directed to any MBClubbers but something to think about.

To those who believe that the youth of today have it too easy, remember that when you were the youth of the day before yesterday, the old duffers of the time thought that you had it too easy too.

This is not directed to any MBClubbers but something to think about.

To those who believe that the youth of today have it too easy, remember that when you were the youth of the day before yesterday, the old duffers of the time thought that you had it too easy too.
Yes Rob, but you’re forgetting that they had it much much harder than todays Youth whom have it all on a plate. They’re so so fortunate.

🙄

Thread Highjack:

Tonight Local News, there was a young lad of 10 who has just passed Maths A Level with an A+! :thumb:

Next Topic, there is a Spin Ball Competition on in Daventry this Weekend, the Local Youfs can't wait to get into it!:wallbash:

So it seems but I find it puzzling.

I have it on very good authority from one of the better universities that they are making a financial loss on UK undergraduates. Except for the likes of Oxbridge that have independent wealth, universities in general are in financial trouble and having to make redundancies. The reasons are simple enough; while their costs have risen, fees have been frozen for 7 years. The clamp down on foreign students which they did make a profit on hasn't helped either which was one of the dumbest things that the last government did.

Perhaps universities are competing for students on the cheap to run courses which will be the ones that are not worth having. Some shrinkage in the total number of university places wouldn't be a bad thing if they are replaced with vocational apprenticeship schemes.

Some shrinkage in the total number of university places wouldn't be a bad thing if they are replaced with vocational apprenticeship schemes.
^ This.

I was always puzzled by the rush to transform good Polytechnics into mediocre Universities. Perhaps this is an opportunity to weed out some of the worst performers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom