• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

A new MB tested..

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
While SWMBO is swamped with a huge translation project for the next few weeks, I've taken advantage of some free time I have to test some of the cars that sit happliy on my "next car contenders" list!

So, friday I tried an E350cdi coupe.

In a word, I loved it! Way more refined and powerful than my 320cdi and maybe because it's smaller, was a more sporty drive than my CLS.

Not wild about the interior, but it seemed well enough put together and didn't rattle or squeak at all, which was a relief! The fold down rear seats are a welcome addition from the non folding ones in the CLS.

I've always liked the pillarless style having had it on a CLK I had some years ago, so it scores high marks for that too. I think with the pano roof it would almost seem like a convertible, which I do miss a little..

And, Im leaning heavily towards white, a colour I've not had since the 90s on a Citroen ZX! :D

Next car; a 635d... (hopefully this week)

e-coupe_abg-opt.jpg

There's a post on Pistonheads from a chap with a 640D. Rear tyres are down to the wear bars after 10,000 miles and they are £440 EACH!

640D Sport tyre wear - PistonHeads

I do wonder about modern cars and their ridiculous tyre sizes... 9p / mile on rear tyres alone is silly

Nick Froome

Nice thread. IMHO as I driven both cars the CLS has more sense of occasion about it but the E coupe is more capable and those seats are in the E coupe are wonderful, even in leather.

The E coupe is based in the C class platform and as you know I consider the C class to be the finest car money can buy.

I agree about the sense of occasion with the CLS. It gets looked at every time I take it out! (and I know it's not me people are gawping at! :D)

But, I've always had a thing for two door coupes and the more I see of the E coupe on the roads, the more I like it! And of course, it's based on the finest car money can buy, which makes it almost a no-brainer! :D

I will still try the 6 and also the A5 and a total left fielder, the Infiniti G37 (as I've got a lot of time on my hands right now!) but my heart is heading towards the E.. :D

The new 6er is an interesting car, no idea why the value has been hammered so much - I realise that brand new cars depreciate badly but dropping £25k+ in such a short period is bizarre, I reckon in another 6 months will be able to get £65k's worth of 640d M Sport for low to mid £30k, which is a hell of a lot of car for the money.

I love my E-Cabrio, it's amazing - would be so much better with a 6.2l V8 under the bonnet but hey just being picky there.

Its a shame it has that tiny window at the back, spoils the lines.

I know why they did it, to reduce the size of the C-Pillar, but still...

I thought I read somewhere the little window was a result of the position of the petrol tank not allowing a full size rear window to fully retract.... but I could be wrong.

I agree with both views,the CLS has that indefinable something,I think the original one had more but the present model is good. I think it is comparing apples and oranges. The E Cab/coupe is a different animal (to mix the metaphors), more eager puppy than stately mature dog. The E cab moulds itself round you rather more than I felt the CLS did.
After numerous Es and a C I picked the cab because now there are only two of us and we like to spend half the year in hot climates where the lack of a top comes into its own.
But a bit of me was very attracted to the CLS, all the E strengths plus that extra something. Now a CLS cab, that would be something.

why not an older CL500?

the loveliest of all Mercedes coupes .. by far

image3-1920x1200.jpg

I hadn't even thought of the CL! How bad of me! They're all V8s or V12s aren't they?

I bought the E Coupe after due deliberation. Mine has the 250cdi engine and it seems pretty spritely - put it in 'S' mode and it really shifts. Beautiful shape and gets glances all the time! I went for calcite white as I hadn't had a white car for many years; not too bad for keeping clean. I got the flamenco interior - makes a good contrast and as *** says it is based on the 'C' platfprm so you have the best of both worlds - a good platform with a classy 'E' interior and those seats......! The absence of a B pillar makes entry to the rear seats so much easier than the C coupe.

why not an older CL500?

the loveliest of all Mercedes coupes .. by far

Excellent suggestion. Head and shoulders above the rest for class- and with more than enough poke for the real world. I've just been drooling over the Used Approved stock and started dreaming of replacing my W219 in a few years. Must own a V8 before I qualify for a free bus pass.

Never mind running costs- just think what a Used bargain it is after several years' depreciation.

C240Sport97 said:
yes, 8 or 12 only.

but what cars.

2dr S class innit but they are massive.

Having sampled an S class I loved the comfort of it but if you want a tight feeling car to chuck about, the smaller less well appointed cars do it better

started dreaming of replacing my W219 in a few years

my 'plan' is to replace in a few years, my CLS55 for 2011/12 CL63 with the V8 biturbo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom