Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm absolutely appalled at the op's plight. I once bought a brand new Ford Fiesta XR2 which turbed out to be a lemon and which the dealer was clueless about fixing. I wrote to Ford UK headquarters and spoke with them as well. Their attitude was very unhelpful and after 18 months I got rid of the car and bought German and never really looked back. I'd still be disinclined to ever purchase a Ford again. Mind you these days I'd be a bit more clued up and I wouldn't hesitate to do what the op looks like doing. Why should the car buying public be bullied by the manufacturers? The power of publicity !

So much for "no publicity is bad publicity".

Doesn't exactly leave them smelling of roses...

Mark - your central locking issue.

My suspicion is this is caused by you pressing the LOCK button twice on your key as you lock, or whilst in your pocket. This disables the keyless go in the key so that no one can do the 'relay key' theft.

I went through a time where I'd press it a couple of times without thinking and then get upset that car wouldn't open keyless - Was going to book it into dealer since Xentry Diagnosis didn't show any issues and all tests works - Had to think deeply what was happening when I remembered the new keys have the keyless-go disable feature ..

Cheers
Richard

Mark - your central locking issue.

My suspicion is this is caused by you pressing the LOCK button twice on your key as you lock, or whilst in your pocket. This disables the keyless go in the key so that no one can do the 'relay key' theft.

I went through a time where I'd press it a couple of times without thinking and then get upset that car wouldn't open keyless - Was going to book it into dealer since Xentry Diagnosis didn't show any issues and all tests works - Had to think deeply what was happening when I remembered the new keys have the keyless-go disable feature ..

Cheers
Richard
Hi Richard im not sure thats the issue as I have just double locked it and it opened however last week that wasn't the case.

I emailed all the directors at Sytner Group last night and attached the reports. I had a response off one of them this morning telling me he is getting the regional director to speak with Mark Hurley at the supplying dealer however the supplying dealer is the best person to deal with it. Well if he is he isn't doing a vey good job of it. I don't hold out much mind. So lets see what happened. I will upload the reports at some point so you can all have a read. Its quite bad to read concidering what the Mercedes brand represents and stands for.

Das Beste oder nichts.

Hi Richard im not sure thats the issue as I have just double locked it and it opened however last week that wasn't the case.
Mark, from the interactive manual for AMG-GT:

Deactivating and activating
If you do not intend to use the vehicle for an extended period of time, you can deactivate KEYLESS-GO. The key will then use very little power, thereby conserving battery power. For the purposes of activation or deactivation, the vehicle does not have to be nearby.
nav_left.png

To deactivate: press the
mbsymb1_inv_0026.png
button on the key twice in rapid succession.
  • The indicator light on the key flashes twice briefly then one long flash, then KEYLESS-GO is deactivated more.
nav_left.png

To activate: press any button on the key.
or
nav_left.png

Insert the key into the ignition lock.
KEYLESS-GO and all its associated features are available again.

I was triggering this by just pressing lock twice very quickly when locking the car, sometimes. Normally when I had walked away but couldn't remember if I locked it, i'd press it twice in my pocket.. To be fair, I'd have expected the dealer should know this and should have asked you / pointed it out by now ..

Hi all I just thought I would give you an update on this. Mercedes were forced to take the car back under the sale of goods act 2015 due to it not being fit for purpose. The car was littered with problems. Mercedes Fought to the bitter end to keep me in that car and they lost. I first reported the car faulty to Mercedes Northampton in November 2017 and they finally admitted defeat on the 31st October 2018 so a whole year to get to that point. They was ordered to give me my deposit back of £15k and deduct usage charges for the car out of the monthly payments I had made. In regards to the deductions Mercedes finance thought that the £1700 a month I was paying for the car for the 12 months would be enough for the usage of the car even though they forced me to stay in the car for 12 months. This amount was also considered excessive so they are also in the process of refunding me some of this. They have refused to refund me for any of the independent reports that was done on the car at my cost, even though they knew the car had issues. The service I have had from the Mercedes Northampton has been next level shocking. The dealer principle Mark Hurley is the most unprofessional person I have met from a dealership. When I advised him I was having issues with the car his response was "this is why cars have warranties" how can you say that to a customer. He was basically telling me to piss off. Its clear to say I would never use this dealership again or buy another Mercedes, I feel sorry for any other up and coming GT owners. This dealer did nothing to help me and refused to answer any emails from the Ombudsman hence why it took so long. I contacted everyone within Sytner Group only to be passed back to Northampton and for then to get no response. At one point I had a guy on standby ready to sticker the car up telling everyone it was a faulty car and that there service was terrible. I told Mark Hurley I was in the process of doing this and he said if you step foot in this dealership he would call the police and have me removed, but this would not stop me or phase me. For how shit they have been I will wait for there next black tag event and do a nice speech in the dealership.

Mercedes finance asked if they could get there own inspection done on the car, I was reluctant to do this at first however agreed in the end, they used a company called ACE Vehicle Assessors based in Bradford who subbed it out to another guy called GILES LOVELL LIMITED. Before the assessor arrived I was a little bit sceptical that the report was going to be manipulated to favour Mercedes so unknown the the assessor I recorded the road test and the assessors talking to me, the assessor can be heard clearly saying that the car is not acceptable quality and justifies a rejection. Anyway the test was over and he said the report would be sent to Mercedes. The next day I received a copy of the report and low and behold the report said that there was nothing wrong with the car. I was fuming. It went the way I thought it would. I rang the assessor and asked what had gone on and he said that he didn't put that in his report so I contacted the company that asked him to do the report. I was shocked at what their response was. They advised me that the report reads what it reads and it wont be changed. I contacted the assessor again and I was then advised by the assessor that ACE had changed his report to make out there was nothing wrong with the car, he told me he was willing to go to court to back this up. I did not tell Mercedes or ACE at this point I had the examination recorded. I sent this onto the Ombudsman who advised Mercedes that due to the evidence I have on the recording there report will not stand up in court, I was happy to say the least and on this basis Mercedes need to collect the car and issue a full refund. If anyone wants to see the report then just let me know, they make interesting reading. Also as well just in case someone wants to buy a GTS beware of car registration number KX67UTN in yellow, Mercedes UK now have the car.

Dear me, that's a sorry tale. I wouldn't blame you if you never went near a Mercedes dealership again after that sort of experience.

Cheers,

Gaz

Well you won out in the end but many more people would not have the tenacity that you have shown.

It’s seems shocking that someone would want to doctor a report.

I’m glad you won out in the end.

Robin

Well done on pursuing until the end.

You got further than another unlucky soul on here previously.

Might be prudent to include a VIN number on here although I wouldn't be surprised if the car turns up for sale with different identification and registration details.

I'll ensure I don't buy a car from Sytner again.

Hi all I just thought I would give you an update on this. Mercedes were forced to take the car back under the sale of goods act 2015 due to it not
It strikes me (without any legal background), that deliberately changing a report must be a criminal act as they were seeking to gain from it by changing it in the favour of their client so ensuring future work.

Well done! You won.
I’m in a battle myself with MBUK as they are now trying to blame it on by saying I have mis fueled the car.
Can anyone advise me of any good lawyers?

Well done! You won.
I’m in a battle myself with MBUK as they are now trying to blame it on by saying I have mis fueled the car.
It is worth speaking to @SL500AMG and seeing his opinion. He is very knowledgable

Last edited:
It is worth speaking to @SL500AMG and seeing his opinion. He is very knowledgable
How much is the damage and expected cost of rectification along with value of the vehicle in a working state? This is the first starting point before deciding whether it would justify a City firm getting involved as opposed to a good local firm?

In your case unlike the one above I expect Mercedes have some circumstantial evidence of misfuelling to make such an accusation as the damage this would cause is quite precise and would have to exactly fit your car's symptoms.

Did you buy the car new or used, if the latter could it be possible a previous owner misfuelled?

If you proceed down the legal route and you are sure it has not been misfuelled in the past causing the issues you will undoubtedly at some stage require a technical experts opinion refuting their allegation to move the matter forward..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Well done! You won.
Why not get the car inspected. This is the route Mercedes would go down any way in the end. I would start with a company by the name of Dekra, they normally charge around £200 for an inspection and report, these reports cant be argued with. It may also be worth getting the Ombudsman involved as well however they dont rush and it can be quite long winded.

How much is the damage and expected cost of rectification along with value of the vehicle in a working state? This is the first starting point before deciding whether it would justify a City firm getting involved as opposed to a good local firm?

In your case unlike the one above I expect Mercedes have some circumstantial evidence of misfuelling to make such an accusation as the damage this would cause is quite precise and would have to exactly fit your car's symptoms.

Did you buy the car new or used, if the latter could it be possible a previous owner misfuelled?

If you proceed down the legal route and you are sure it has not been misfuelled in the past causing the issues you will undoubtedly at some stage require a technical experts opinion refuting their allegation to move the matter forward..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I bought the car approved used, i can be sure about the mis-fueling as it certainly wasn't me in the last three months of owning it.
they have quoted over £850 to drain the tank and £90 for a new filter - the engine shakes on cold start for a few mins.

MBUK now want to listen to the telephone call of when i reported it, i had called them the second day of owning the car to report squueking breaks, blown up rear speakers, rattle, window noises and gearbox jumping when slowing down.
i only noticed this engine shaking in the second week and did not mention anything till i got to the service center a month later when it was booked in for.
i believe they are going to use this against me and say it was me that filled it up with the wrong fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom