AMG LSD retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluestreak

Car
2015 E63
... to S212 E63. Car feels a little sketchy trying to apply 680 horses using open diff. Please help me explore OEM options that address the issue. Has this been done before? I couldn't find.

Affalterbach will do it on the w204, but Merc UK and two different dealers so far have told me no. Maybe an indie with access to Merc spares?

I hear great things about the Quaife.

Quaife would be my suggestion too.

How are the tyres and which brand? Pirelli? New tyres won't to what an LSD can do, but may reduce the "sketchy " feeling. Many owners report not liking the feel of Pirelli tyres, especially in relatively cold and damp conditions.

I have a Quaife on mine and no real complaints with it. To get an OE one fitted would, if it's even possible, be mind blowingly expensive I would imagine. Wasn't it only the S which had it as standard?

There was a thread about a group buy a while ago (HERE) though it seems to have quietly died away. May be worth bumping it?

Yes to the above. I had a Quaife on the CL 55 Kompressor after having it mapped and just had one fitted to the new CL Bi-Turbo, it certainly plants the car. Highly recommended.

Get the Quaife. It biases the torque very quickly.

I've had a pre-facelift E63 PPP with the AMG Locking Diff and now my facelift car with a Quaife and I prefer the latter for road use. The AMG Diff can be a bit abrupt in it's action, while the Quaife is very smooth and is thus (in my hands anyway) more controllable when pressing on. Of course, a Driving God may have a different view...

Yup Quaife here too. As has been said makes the car feel planted.

very informative, thanks!

How are the tyres and which brand? Pirelli? New tyres won't to what an LSD can do, but may reduce the "sketchy " feeling

i'm on yokohama advan sport v105, this is what car came with. They are surprisingly good when warm and dry.

I have a Quaife on mine and no real complaints with it. To get an OE one fitted would, if it's even possible, be mind blowingly expensive I would imagine. Wasn't it only the S which had it as standard?

is AMG diff electronic? what makes it expensive?

I've had a pre-facelift E63 PPP with the AMG Locking Diff and now my facelift car with a Quaife and I prefer the latter for road use. The AMG Diff can be a bit abrupt in it's action, while the Quaife is very smooth and is thus (in my hands anyway) more controllable when pressing on. Of course, a Driving God may have a different view...

how abrupt can AMG diff be? Same diff as in facelift S?

did you guys have your ESP coded for quaife?

is AMG diff electronic? what makes it expensive?
For the W/S212 E63 it's a pure mechanical locking diff. It's expensive because it's manufactured from Unobtanium which can only be harvested during a lunar eclipse by unicorns. Either that or it's because it has "AMG" on it ;)
how abrupt can AMG diff be? Same diff as in facelift S?
I found that it could induce a noticeable "kick" from the rear end under some circumstances which the Quaife doesn't, but as I said, I'm no Driving God.
did you guys have your ESP coded for quaife?
Not required.

Thanks Phil!

I have some Unobtanium a unicorn friend harvested for me at great personal discomfort. Do you think AMG would be able to recycle it? :)

Thanks Phil!

I have some Unobtanium a unicorn friend harvested for me at great personal discomfort. Do you think AMG would be able to recycle it? :)
I imagine not. It only has huge value when fitting to and by AMG but loses it all on removal [emoji3]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom