Anti - Virus Software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcos

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 estate
Does anyone use a free anti-virus software and is it any good?

The reason I'm asking is several people I know use free ones and swear by them but are they really any good:confused:

I wouldnt trust my PC online with free anti-virus software. What comeback do you have?
I use Webroot antivirus/antispyware/firewall. Based on sophos technology.

Last edited:
Does anyone use a free anti-virus software and is it any good?

The reason I'm asking is several people I know use free ones and swear by them but are they really any good:confused:

AVG or Microsoft Defender if you have Vista. If you have XP download from Microsoft. Haven't been infected yet. Norton is still the best and new viruses almost everyday.

You get basic cover and there is no such thing as free if you want full protection. You will find you have to pay eventually unless backup your files periodically if you wish to surf unsafe websites.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/security_response/threatexplorer/index.jsp

I wouldnt trust my PC online with free anti-virus software. What comeback do you have?

i suppose it depends on how much and for what you use your PC for. I dont use my home PC much so basic protection is all i need/want.

If i get something nasty coming though, i dont keep enough stuff on the pc to worry and will just format and re-install windows

Last edited:
I was used with avast free antivirus, was very good till a trojan virus owned my pc!

After I've reinstalled the operating system, I installed again avast free and in few seconds it happened again the same!!

Actually I'm running with Karspersky Antivirus hoping it will last long and safe, and I'll pay again if it will work always well.

Didn't know Webroot do a pro firewall...only a freebie I thought.

Prevx CSI is a good backup one to track anything you use every day & they claim to stop more than any other on the market. I use along side AVG and occasioanlly use online Kaspersky and trendmicro's Housecall

http://www.prevx.com/

AVG free works for me.

AVG free is what I use and I've tried most of them ,Used to use Norton until it let a virus through, The current set up I run which has been tested by known hardcore virus's and trojans Is PC Tools Free Firewall and AVG Free. Although as above in the past I have used avast and had no problems with that other than it is very resource hungry when it auto updates on boot up. Free PC Tools and AVG Free works for me

AVG is so good it update the database of virus eveytimes you power up your PC, I was not even aware off until I forgotten to switch router.

If you are a Barclays customer you can get Kapersky for free (3 PC licence). I currently use AVG and have only ever had 1 infection that was stopped with no problems. However I've heard the new AVG is a little resource hungry so will be switching to Kapersky.

If you are a Barclays customer you can get Kapersky for free (3 PC licence). I currently use AVG and have only ever had 1 infection that was stopped with no problems. However I've heard the new AVG is a little resource hungry so will be switching to Kapersky.

The New AVG is definitely more resource hungry than the previous version, this is also true of Avast. Not sure about Kapersky it has a good reputation from people who use it but personally I have never tried it please let me know how you go

Another vote for AVG free. I dont suffer much in the way of virus' so it doesn't get to detect much.

I've used it for some years now and together with Zone Alarm free I seem to be problem free. I'd recommend them both.

The New AVG is definitely more resource hungry than the previous version, this is also true of Avast. Not sure about Kapersky it has a good reputation from people who use it but personally I have never tried it please let me know how you go

I've used Kaperski for the last year or so, much better than Norton.

Russ

AVG Free on all the PCs, AVast on the firewall/proxy server/gateway machine (AVG Free won't run on WIN 2003 Server - assumes it's not for personal use :( )

I've used Kaperski for the last year or so, much better than Norton.

Russ

Norton is a Virus, it was present in my PC since new but it was weighting and slowing down too much:D

PS: I'm using kasperki like you

The New AVG is definitely more resource hungry than the previous version

The latest version of AVG free is a real step forward though as it fully incorporates their spyware/adware product too.
There were a few issues during v7 where trojans were getting past it, especially ones which emulate Internet Explorer, but v8.0 is great and I thoroughly recommend it.

grisoft avg free edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom