Any maintenance tips for a 260E owner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonw2000

Hi, I have recently been introduced to the joys of driving Mercs by my friend, and so enthused, and in need of a new car, I went out and purchased a 1986 260E. My friend came
along to help look over the car and we were both extremely pleased to see a car in such good condition, particularly considering its age. It had been owned by a father and then
his son, and had full service history and all receipts of every part bought and labour carried out on the car ever since the father bought the car (£18,800 incidentally). The file
was a good 5 inches thick! The engine purrs so quietly and smoothly and it drives like a dream. The only thing we could ascertain was less than perfect was a weeping of oil
under the front (gearbox?) and under the diff at the back. The owner said that these were to be expected for a car of that age and it wasn't worth getting it fixed. Otherwise, the
bodywork has some minor scratches and chips but nothing that really catches your eye. The interior is in very good condition, albeit in a less-than-attractive striped green (the
car itself is metallic 'thistle' green), although I have got used to it now. The car has done 97k miles and cost me £1350, which I am led to believe makes quite a good deal.

So, given that I am the proud owner of a beautiful machine, I would like to have some tips on how to look after it. I am absolutely a novice when it comes to anything about car
mechanics but would love to learn a bit more. What sort of things should I check weekly, monthly, yearly etc?

Many thanks

Jon

Welcome to the forum Jon. Lots of helpfull people here. I too have recently purchased a 260E. Looks like you got a good deal. Hmmmm things to look for? ....... front torsion bar bushes (easy repair / replace) I wouldnt worry too much about the minor oil leaks though, mine weeps oil from somewhere near the timing cover / cylinder head and I have read somewhere that it is a known issue. Apart from the normal weekly checks I dont see anything else that you need to do. Now here I am going to be corrected by more erstwhile members :D Have fun

Ian

I'm in East London

Hi there, thanks for the welcome.

I'm in East London (South Woodford). The car is on about 97.5k miles and is due for a service at 102k, but a friend recommended that it may be a good idea to get the car serviced sooner so I know it starts off with a 'clean slate'. At the least he recommended getting the oils changed.

What do you think?

Thanks

Jon

I tend to agree with your friend. If you were to get it serviced now then at least you would have a peice of mind that everything was ok. Being in the south George Fraser is the guy highly recommended down there. My betting is that being new to you you would be advised on what is ok and what wants watching. The only problem of doing an oil change yourself is that the rest of the car "may" have something that needs attention very soon. Initially best get a service from an expert.

Thanks for advice

Thanks for the good advice. I will definitely take the car to George Frasier as soon as I have a bit of spare cash, probably post Christmas.

In the meantime, I have an even more immediate problem. I drove the car to the supermarket on Sunday and when I returned after shopping I turned the ignition key but there was no response. The lights came on the dash but there was absolutely no response from the starter motor or engine. Complete silence. I don't think it's a battery issue as I have been driving the car a lot since I bought it, so the battery should be fully charged.

My plan is to go back there tonight and call the AA out. But does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

Re: Thanks for advice

Originally posted by jonw2000
My plan is to go back there tonight and call the AA out. But does anyone else have any ideas?
Do you know if the car has some kind of immobiliser on it?

Nope, I don't think it has an immobiliser.

It has an alarm which works, but when I bought the car I don't recall him mentioning an immobiliser.

Is there any way I can check?

Sorry for being vague!

Thanks

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom