• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Apple CarPlay issues 2022 Vito (W447)

Just got me thinking. Is it worth NOT having a Bluetooth connection paired or set up with the MB head unit (I.e. not carplay connection)? Could it be trying to pair with Bluetooth once carplay started and kicking it out of the CarPlay connection.

So, literally just use wired CarPlay and no other connection at all with the head unit? Might make it simpler just to rule it out. Shouldn’t be the case but with IT there are always issues because reasons…
That’s a great idea. I’ll try that tomorrow and report back.

Incidentally, I’ve only ever connected to Apple CarPlay in the Vito via a cable. Never via Bluetooth alone. 🤷‍♂️

That’s a great idea. I’ll try that tomorrow and report back.

Incidentally, I’ve only ever connected to Apple CarPlay in the Vito via a cable. Never via Bluetooth alone. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry, I meant Bluetooth to the head unit, that is without using carplay, just old-school phone to car pairing with basic call functions etc. rather than Bluetooth Carplay (although when you have wireless carplay it uses Bluetooth to ‘handshake’ with the head unit and send across wifi and connection details then switches to Wi-Fi - incidentally what got me thinking about having it also trying to connect to the head unit. Once CarPlay is started it switches to Wi-Fi. So frees up the Bluetooth. If your head unit is trying to connect in the old-school method, perhaps it’s interfering with the connection).

If using cable, could be similar, that the phone - although wired to carplay - is trying to connect with head unit via Bluetooth for normal style hands free and it’s getting itself in a fit.

That said on my unit once CarPlay is active the head unit doesn’t try and connect, so aside from trying to remove the head unit from phone bluetooth menu and the phone from the head unit bluetooth menu, try making sure no other devices like headphones or speakers are trying to connect from your bag or whatever.

Just ramblings from years of fannying about with Bluetooth and wireless connection difficulties, nothing 100% fool proof, sad to say.

Must admit I haven’t tried without Bluetooth so may give that a go.

Oddly enough, went out again earlier and it behaved perfectly!

I have now removed the head unit from my phones Bluetooth list so I’ll try and connect via cable only tomorrow and see if that works better.

Ok slight update.

Without going into the reasons just yet, I am currently using a loan new shape Citan with the latest wireless MBUX system and it appears this also has the same problem with CarPlay dropping out after a few mins, but not every time I use it.

It drops off, says ‘starting wireless CarPlay’, after about a minute it then says ‘waiting for Apple CarPlay’, or something like that, and then gives up and says it couldn’t connect but has established a Bluetooth connection.

Doesn’t work even using wired.

Now, this has kinda jogged my memory as we have a 2017 Kia and I also had the same issue but put that down to the knackered usb cable. I have put in a new one now but haven’t really been out in the car recently to test it.

In my opinion, I am beginning to think this could be down to Apple and ios16.
Any update on eta of Vito Jason?

Unfortunately it sustained damage so they have ordered another one.

Has to be said they have been really good about it all though so no complaints from me!
Sorry to hear that Jason. Did they elaborate at all?

Great to hear you’re happy with their service so far. 👍

Ok quick update, currently out in the Kia and it has just disconnected from the head unit after around 10 mins.

Using wired CarPlay with new cable.

Also just updated the head unit with latest firmware.

Well done Apple.

Ok quick update, currently out in the Kia and it has just disconnected from the head unit after around 10 mins.

Using wired CarPlay with new cable.

Also just updated the head unit with latest firmware.

Well done Apple.
That’s odd Jason.

My iPhone works perfectly in car and my mates Transit custom. It’s just the Vito that loses connection. 🤔

That’s odd Jason.

My iPhone works perfectly in car and my mates Transit custom. It’s just the Vito that loses connection. 🤔

Bizarre isn’t it?

In the Citan, that is fairly stable but still get disconnects.

Since originally posting about it in that, it has done it a couple of times and as with the reports regarding the issue in the Vito, it refused to reconnect unless the vehicle is switched off and restarted.

Now, thinking about it a bit more, I always normally have google maps displaying as it gives a good idea of traffic etc, and I do remember reading that a couple of other people having issue while using that, as opposed to using other apps.

Might give that a go by trying Apple Maps.

Also, wired CarPlay will not work without a Bluetooth connection in my experience.

Bizarre isn’t it?

In the Citan, that is fairly stable but still get disconnects.

Since originally posting about it in that, it has done it a couple of times and as with the reports regarding the issue in the Vito, it refused to reconnect unless the vehicle is switched off and restarted.

Now, thinking about it a bit more, I always normally have google maps displaying as it gives a good idea of traffic etc, and I do remember reading that a couple of other people having issue while using that, as opposed to using other apps.
In my Vito. CarPlay remains connected if I leave it on the Home Screen (the one that displays all the apps). The disconnect only happens once I enter Google or Apple Maps.
Might give that a go by trying Apple Maps.

Also, wired CarPlay will not work without a Bluetooth connection in my experience.
I tried wired connection with Bluetooth ’off’. It connected fine but disconnected as soon as I entered a map app.

What is strange (I may have posted this before) is my old iPhone 7 has never once disconnected. It’s been 100% perfect when used with Apple CarPlay and all maps/navigation. So I have been flitting between the 2. Only issue is the 7 is on its last legs. Battery life is gone and gets very hot when using the phone through the day.

I’m still p1ssed off to spend all this money on a van and struggle to use the most simplest of functions. 😤

In my Vito. CarPlay remains connected if I leave it on the Home Screen (the one that displays all the apps). The disconnect only happens once I enter Google or Apple Maps.

I tried wired connection with Bluetooth ’off’. It connected fine but disconnected as soon as I entered a map app.

What is strange (I may have posted this before) is my old iPhone 7 has never once disconnected. It’s been 100% perfect when used with Apple CarPlay and all maps/navigation. So I have been flitting between the 2. Only issue is the 7 is on its last legs. Battery life is gone and gets very hot when using the phone through the day.

I’m still p1ssed off to spend all this money on a van and struggle to use the most simplest of functions. 😤

I only have the one phone so not really able to try alternatives.

Considering the majority of users will be using one of the map apps, it’s ridiculous that neither of them work properly.

But, as I posted, I don’t think this is just a Mercedes issue.

Let’s hope iOS 17 sorts them out as let’s face it, they are unlikely to spend too much time sorting this one out when the new one is only a few months away.

I only have the one phone so not really able to try alternatives.

Considering the majority of users will be using one of the map apps, it’s ridiculous that neither of them work properly.

But, as I posted, I don’t think this is just a Mercedes issue.
I don’t know mate. As I said. CarPlay is faultless on the transit custom and other friends cars I’ve tried. It’s only ever been a problem in the Vito. 🤷‍♂️
Let’s hope iOS 17 sorts them out as let’s face it, they are unlikely to spend too much time sorting this one out when the new one is only a few months away.

I don’t know mate. As I said. CarPlay is faultless on the transit custom and other friends cars I’ve tried. It’s only ever been a problem in the Vito. 🤷‍♂️
Yes I do think there is a fair bit of collaboration with Apple and manufacturers and of the manufacturers aren’t addressing the issues I suspect Apple won’t be either.

But the strangest thing is why it only affects any map apps!

Just to jump in here .... same problem.
When buying from Milton Keynes the "must haves" I stated included sat-nav. I was told this would be covered with CarPlay. It worked fine on my iphone7 but once I upgraded, nothing at all -- the very same issues as the op, it sometimes flashes up, lasts for a few minutes, then fails to connect. Apple were billiant, can't complain about them, they tried all manner of things over the phone, over two half days, before they suggested MB issues. Intercounty Mecedes were no help at all (they were very helpful up to the time they cashed the £36K then abandoned me completely). The guys in Warminster said it was a know p[roblem ad wait for an update. Thepeople at Poole were more friendly & made me feel like a customer, but couln't solve the problem & said to wait for an update........ currently I ride around like a drug dealer with two phones, which causes problems when trying to use the phone when mobile (the one plugged into CarPlay tethers to the IPhone 13 for internet but cant take calls). I honestly think this was the worst £36000 I ever spent & doubt I will ever buy from InterCounty or Mercedes again - the aftersales has been neglectful to say the least

Just to jump in here .... same problem.
When buying from Milton Keynes the "must haves" I stated included sat-nav. I was told this would be covered with CarPlay. It worked fine on my iphone7 but once I upgraded, nothing at all -- the very same issues as the op, it sometimes flashes up, lasts for a few minutes, then fails to connect. Apple were billiant, can't complain about them, they tried all manner of things over the phone, over two half days, before they suggested MB issues. Intercounty Mecedes were no help at all (they were very helpful up to the time they cashed the £36K then abandoned me completely). The guys in Warminster said it was a know p[roblem ad wait for an update. Thepeople at Poole were more friendly & made me feel like a customer, but couln't solve the problem & said to wait for an update........ currently I ride around like a drug dealer with two phones, which causes problems when trying to use the phone when mobile (the one plugged into CarPlay tethers to the IPhone 13 for internet but cant take calls). I honestly think this was the worst £36000 I ever spent & doubt I will ever buy from InterCounty or Mercedes again - the aftersales has been neglectful to say the least
I feel your pain mate. It’s a horrible feeling spending so much money on a brand new product and it not being perfect.

I’m still constantly switching between my old iPhone7 and iPhone12. Such a compromise isn’t something you expect to have to do unless you’re in an old runaround 🙄

My head unit also occasionally shuts down and reboots itself. Then all stored radio stations are lost, and stored fav phone numbers too. 😤

1 of the TPMS valves keeps losing connection and evokes a constant sequence of dash warning lights.

I really wish I’d have just waited for the transit custom.

I feel your pain mate. It’s a horrible feeling spending so much money on a brand new product and it not being perfect.

I’m still constantly switching between my old iPhone7 and iPhone12. Such a compromise isn’t something you expect to have to do unless you’re in an old runaround 🙄

My head unit also occasionally shuts down and reboots itself. Then all stored radio stations are lost, and stored fav phone numbers too. 😤

1 of the TPMS valves keeps losing connection and evokes a constant sequence of dash warning lights.

I really wish I’d have just waited for the transit custom.
Previous van was a Nissan NV200, smaller but everything worked on it & aftersales were excellent. It didn't have CarPlay but SatNav & Phone worked perfectly. The funny thing is people tend to compliment me on the van, so I offer to sell it to them at a discount. Massive regrets and zero back-up from either InterCounty or MB

Previous van was a Nissan NV200, smaller but everything worked on it & aftersales were excellent. It didn't have CarPlay but SatNav & Phone worked perfectly. The funny thing is people tend to compliment me on the van, so I offer to sell it to them at a discount. Massive regrets and zero back-up from either InterCounty or MB
My supplying dealer in Wolverhampton have said they’re hopeful of a Q3 2023 fix (apparently from the horses mouth).

I’m going to email them next week to see if there’s anything on offer.

My supplying dealer in Wolverhampton have said they’re hopeful of a Q3 2023 fix (apparently from the horses mouth).

I’m going to email them next week to see if there’s anything on offer.

Are they referring to a new firmware update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom