Auto watch Ghost installed (Midlands)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It sounds a good piece of kit to me, When I bought the c63 new all insurance companies want a tracker which I got fitted but if someone stole the car I dont want it back as you dont know how its been treated. The Autowatch will stop them from even taking it with the keys so makes sense for me as I dont want them to get away with the car

What if they break into your house and then demand the keys from you? While I do not want my car stealing, I'd rather they take that then go into my house and threaten me, or worse still, my wife.

Yes, there's a "valet" mode that you can set when you drop the car off.
It will then start and drive as normal, but if driven in excess of ~30mph for more than ~3 mins it will re-arm. It doesn't stop the car dead (I guess that would be dangerous) but once the engine is turned off it won't re-start without the code.

Plus, you can easily change the code if you ever need to let a garage know it.
It really is a very good bit of kit :thumb:

So they can go at any speed they want, and as long as they don't do that for more than 3 minutes over 30mph, they can keep doing it?

What if they break into your house and then demand the keys from you?
You just give them the keys and say "take it".
If they don't know it has an immobiliser (presumably they won't) they'll be out of the house trying to make a getaway. You call 999 and barricade / be prepared until the police arrive if they don't just run off?
Same situation if somebody (who you don't fancy taking on) asks for your keys in the street. You just hand them over and run, safe in the knowledge that your car will be going nowhere !

So they can go at any speed they want, and as long as they don't do that for more than 3 minutes over 30mph, they can keep doing it?
Hadn't really thought about it like that, but probably yes (best check with the manufacturer). Anywhere other than driving through a built-up area, they are likely to drive faster than 30?
In reality though, they would still have to somehow locate and remove the ghost at some stage (it's tiny and could be anywhere in the car).

You just give them the keys and say "take it".
If they don't know it has an immobiliser (presumably they won't) they'll be out of the house trying to make a getaway. You call 999 and barricade / be prepared until the police arrive if they don't just run off?
Same situation if somebody (who you don't fancy taking on) asks for your keys in the street. You just hand them over and run, safe in the knowledge that your car will be going nowhere !

of course, but I'd still rather not have them come into my house. Security can be too secure sometimes. It is a trade off and I can understand why you have this fitted.

Hadn't really thought about it like that, but probably yes (best check with the manufacturer). Anywhere other than driving through a built-up area, they are likely to drive faster than 30?
In reality though, they would still have to somehow locate and remove the ghost at some stage (it's tiny and could be anywhere in the car).

You'd be surprised! You've seen the E63 video on YT that got the car taken off the owner the police? and the other test drive video's.

Thanks for info JDL60

What if they break into your house and then demand the keys from you? While I do not want my car stealing, I'd rather they take that then go into my house and threaten me, or worse still, my wife.

That's the first thing I thought of when this tech first came out.

They normally attempt to start the car themselves using various methods, if they can't do it, they will start going into the house and stick a knife on your neck for the combination because by this time they should all know about this tech and know they need more than the key to start it.

I actually think it creates a more dangerous situation for the family. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone.

Two things spring to mind.
Firstly the last I heard it wasn't insurance approved (though I don't know why that would be).
Secondly I wouldn't want them in the house threatening me or anybody else asking for the code.

A year ago my mate had his Vito parked on the drive and was watching TV. Some masked scrotes smashed down his front door (in broad daylight). He did as they asked giving them the keys to his Vito and his bike and then they kicked ten tons of sh!t out of him and filmed it on a mobile. Actually that's what nailed them in the end when they were caught in a police chase.

I'd rather they took it with gizmos from outside the house.

Two things spring to mind.
Firstly the last I heard it wasn't insurance approved (though I don't know why that would be).

Insurance companies want Thatcham approved systems ....and is this based on how your car gets immobilised (ignition ,fuel pump etc) the AWG uses the canbus to disturb/block the electronics......

Hi all, new here, I'm getting my new (to me) 2017 GLA 45 AMG next Friday, Car now is a SQ5 with a Ghost fitted, I watched the fitter fit it, A few months ago, Today Ive removed it, Easy when you no where it is, I'm hoping this will go on my Merc, Phoning the expert tomorrow,

Hi all, new here, I'm getting my new (to me) 2017 GLA 45 AMG next Friday, Car now is a SQ5 with a Ghost fitted, I watched the fitter fit it, A few months ago, Today Ive removed it, Easy when you no where it is, I'm hoping this will go on my Merc, Phoning the expert tomorrow,

Mate sure it is ok car to car......the boys sounded unsure when I asked about getting it installed in my SL..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom