B service and brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UKSilverArrow

Car
W218 CLS350cdi + Repsol Honda Fireblade.
What is done specifically to the brakes including the parking brake in a B service and is brake fluid changed?

I've just got the car back and wasn't happy with the feel of the brake pedal or performance of the parking brake. All feels very different since the service and not in a good way.

I returned to complain and after a 5 minute inspection was assured there was nothing wrong although the parking brake won't hold the car when in drive at idle and the travel is very long. Brake pedal is soft and long in travel with little or no effect until almost at the end it's travel.

Not happy with the mechanics opinion I asked for the service manager and expressed my concerns. He told me becasue they are not allowed to remove the wheels during service he can't see why it would be different, does that sound right?

David

Removal of the wheels is not on the service sheet but to see the pads etc. I think they should be taken off if its a maintenance service. Did the car get a brake fluid change as on a R230 SL it has to be done properly with a star machine and a pressure bleeder due to the car having SBC brakes. If this is done then then the service threshold of the SBC hydraulic unit should also be checked and the software checked and updated as ness. If it was a main dealer that did it then ask for a copy of the service sheet . It is generated online from Merc . This system is called ESS. (electronic service sheet). If your not happy with the brakes get a second opinion and get back to the garage and keep at them.
Hope this helps.

Not happy with the mechanics opinion I asked for the service manager and expressed my concerns. He told me becasue they are not allowed to remove the wheels during service he can't see why it would be different, does that sound right?

David
Not removing the wheels? Sounds iffy to me. Not surprised that your hand brake is bad and that the brakes in general feel poor. To effectively adjust the handbrake you should remove the wheel (even says in literature I have that alloys should be removed from the car when adjusting the handbrake). Fluid change? Easier with the wheels off and the car on ramps. You can get at the bleed nipples without having to crawl under the car.

Thanks for the replies chaps. From what you say Allibally it sounds like I've had a brake fluid change and it's not been properly bled. It's going back in next week so your info is good to have.
Thanks
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom