Bad day for me, engine cut out!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just as a matter of interest the OVP relay, which i often see in these topics, it is there to protect circuits from a high voltage, so i assume if it causes running problems it is because it goes open circuit due to a fault, so couldn't it be bypassed for diagnostic purposes, maybe i am missing something here, but i can't quite see where the running issues come from, also what happens if the relay senses a over voltage situation? i guess it would cause similar problems? so should the alternator output be checked first?

Just as a matter of interest the OVP relay, which i often see in these topics, it is there to protect circuits from a high voltage, so i assume if it causes running problems it is because it goes open circuit due to a fault, so couldn't it be bypassed for diagnostic purposes, maybe i am missing something here, but i can't quite see where the running issues come from, also what happens if the relay senses a over voltage situation? i guess it would cause similar problems? so should the alternator output be checked first?

Just as with fuel pump relays you can bridge pin30 to 87 to by pass it

Hi everyone, thought I'd do a quick update on car.

Had a look at the throttle body and gave it a good spray with carb cleaner, took it for a spin and it idled perfectly at every junction. So fingers crossed that will solve my problem, even if it is temporary.

So thanks guys for the help and replies :)

Had a look at the throttle body and gave it a good spray with carb cleaner, took it for a spin and it idled perfectly at every junction. So fingers crossed that will solve my problem, even if it is temporary.

What can one say ,,other than good luck and good news:):):)

believe it or not, ive just spent almost 2K trying to sort out an A class with only 20K miles on the clock.. we thought it was the MAF/ECU (as this is what MB said and our system said too), so a new one and coding from dealer comes in at £1300.. plus £600 trying to get the MAF repaired pevious to that...

Cut a long story short... the throttle body was partially seized... £179 for a new one and it runs like new... best part is i cant do anything with the old ECU as its coded to the car..

All this on a car i sold for £2.5K

low mileage cars arent always best...

Oh dear...sorry to hear that

Even if this "fix" is temporary (only time will tell) it was worth it as a start before spending a small fortune. I have plenty of other areas to spend it on this car = money pit :D

great news :) :) :) :) xxxxxxjon

Good news. Nice to hear it's a cheap fix. I was wondering whether we were all thinking a bit too major..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom