• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C-class vs outgoing E-class purchase

I think "privacy glass" is being used as a generic (and possibly a posher\0 way of saying "tinted windows", and so the dealer is not really intending to deceive. However the only way they can retrofit tinted windows is with film.

I try to avoid privacy glass, however if I was to have it retrofitted I would only consider Pentagon Glass Limited: Vehicle glass protection and window tinting as although I have never used them personally, they were personally recommended by someone I trust.

He has confirmed that what you have all been saying is true - it will be with film and he has now agreed to reduce price to £180 from £265 (his reasoning being that they get discount from Window company due to the volume of cars they use - although it should be cheaper regardless for film).

I am in a tricky situation as if I now go for factory fitted order of privacy glass, the car will not arrive until July due to delayed placing of the order (as opposed to next month for the stock car). I am a little annoyed as the delays have been primarily caused by the dealer in giving wrong information about the privacy glass and grey interior on the AMG line.

I might send an email asking him to reduce the cost of film to £100 (in light of delays) and to provide a warranty for the tinted windows to cover myself.

Unless anyone had any other advice?

He has confirmed that what you have all been saying is true - it will be with film and he has now agreed to reduce price to £180 from £265 (his reasoning being that they get discount from Window company due to the volume of cars they use - although it should be cheaper regardless for film).

I am in a tricky situation as if I now go for factory fitted order of privacy glass, the car will not arrive until July due to delayed placing of the order (as opposed to next month for the stock car). I am a little annoyed as the delays have been primarily caused by the dealer in giving wrong information about the privacy glass and grey interior on the AMG line.

I might send an email asking him to reduce the cost of film to £100 (in light of delays) and to provide a warranty for the tinted windows to cover myself.

Unless anyone had any other advice?

I would send him an email telling him to eat it. He has misled you about the interior colour, and sort of let you believe that a tint is the same as proper privacy glass. It isn't and you will have to declare it on your insurance as a modification. He then has the cheek to say he is doing you a favour by knocking £85 off the price of a retro fitted tint.

Personally I would take a much harder line. None of this is your fault.

To be honest I have to agree with OldTimer66, either get what you want or walk away as you will never be happy knowing that the tint isn't on the datacard!

Just a quick update. Took your guys advice to send email. Dealer agreed to supply stock car with retrofitted tints, but will not charge me for it.

So I will end up getting a car with "privacy glass" but won't have to pay for it, thereby saving £265.

I think that's a fair trade off. I understand I will be getting inferior quality to factory fitted privacy glass but I'm not paying for it. And the car arrives next month which is always nice.

Thanks for your help

Fair result, well done

Sorry to resurrect this thread but didn't want to create a new one.

C-class we ordered has arrived and will be delivered to us tomorrow (5/4/16). However received my logbook today and car was registered on 31/3/16.

The cynical side of me thinks this has been done so salesman appears to have reached his quarterly targets by showing car as "sold" in March.

Does this mean I have lost a few days with my warranty/future mot/tax renewal as car has been registered before it has reached us? I also don't want to be paying finance for 5 days when I have not had the car. Should I complain or am I being pedantic?

I'd ask the question, listen to the answers, and then accept it or complain.
Am I right in thinking logbook date should reflect same date you receive the car?

For my other cars it has always been the same.

I think it should.. My logbook shows the day I picked it up,the salesman rang me the week before with the vehicle registration number ,so the number was allocated to the car and the start date backdated to the pickup day. I don't think it would bother me unduly but if there's a chance of compensation I would kick up a bit of a fuss..

I just checked, and my car was registered the same day my wife picked it up.

I'd certainly ask the question... maybe get the first service out of them or something as something is amiss!

Salesman said our finance PCP agreement would end on 31/3/19, in 3 years time, which obviously isn't right if I only receive the car today. It means I pay for the car for 3 years but I have had it for slightly less time.

He has done it as dealership needed to show the car was sold in March. I would have much preferred he was honest from the onset regarding why he was doing it.

He has subsequently sent an email saying the car can be returned on 5/4/19 so I won't lose the extra days but finance agreement shows 31/3. I feel like I should maybe complain a little more?

Salesman said our finance PCP agreement would end on 31/3/19, in 3 years time, which obviously isn't right if I only receive the car today. It means I pay for the car for 3 years but I have had it for slightly less time.

He has done it as dealership needed to show the car was sold in March. I would have much preferred he was honest from the onset regarding why he was doing it.

He has subsequently sent an email saying the car can be returned on 5/4/19 so I won't lose the extra days but finance agreement shows 31/3. I feel like I should maybe complain a little more?

Hi MoMo

I’m in a similar situation to yourself.

In my case the key dates are:
Agility Agreement signed by me on the 8th of the month
Agreement commenced (according to the details of the agreement available via the Mercedes ME Finance portal) on 11th of the month
Registered with the DVLA on the 15th of the month and delivered the same day

Firstly you need to be talking to MB Finance and not the dealer about this. Your agreement is with the finance company who technically own the vehicle. What the dealer says about return dates is not really relevant.

I was suspicious about the Agility agreement when it was initially presented to me. In my view it is badly drafted and deficient in a number of respects. For example, it defines the crucial “Start Date” as simply being “the date of this Agreement”. This is a non sequitur. Is it the delivery date, the date I signed the agreement, or the date that MB Finance executed the agreement?

The dealer told me it should (in their opinion) be the date of delivery. However they claim to often have problems with MB Finance back office systems and have seen all sorts of dates used by MB.

Because I anticipated issues with this agreement I telephoned MB Finance on 3 separate occasions to clarify certain details before I signed and in particular the start date. This revealed that their depth of knowledge is zero. The answers I received were ambivalent – the best they could come up with was that the start date was the date they received the documentation from the dealer. This sort of makes sense (this is probably the date the agreement is executed by MB Finance) but does mean that the start date may bear no relationship to the delivery date.

Forwarned about this, I refused to sign the agreement until as close as possible to the intended delivery date. Unfortunately the dealer may want the agreement signed in advance in order to avoid any risk that MB may not execute the agreement. Although unlikely, if MB do not execute the agreement for any reason, the dealer would have delivered a vehicle for which he has no payment.

This could all be avoided if the Agility Agreement were worded appropriately.

So like you, I have “lost” 4 days. I didn’t take it further as life is just too short to deal with MB’s deficiencies.

Let us know how you get on if you take it further.

I'm sure they can do it if they really want to make it happen. Last year I picked up my car on 1-Mar which was a Sunday. Both finance and DVLA show 1-Mar as the start/register date.

I signed and returned some paperwork the Friday before but that was only because MB Finance don't work weekends and they have to release fiananced funds to dealer before delivery can take place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom