C32 Soft pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Fixit

Car
2012 SLK55 AMG
Juts had a new caliper fitted to replace a ceased one and the pepal is slighty soft, the dealer says the bleed it through and they do work but dont seem as 'instant' as they should be.
Noticable when manovering at low speed as there seems to be nothing for a moment.

Ideas other than ' you've got air in them'

When you had the new calliper, did you also have new Pads?
I replaced all 4 pads once and my brake pedal was very much softer than I was used to..
BUT, the pedal firmed up pretty quickly over the next few days as the pads bedded in.

no just the caliper as I would have expected the same as well but with a capliper should work from the off. The dealler is taking it back o Thursday as they agreed it was not as firm as expected. I was wondering if there may ne a slight leak or the master letting go.

Were the calipers a direct like for like swap? I upgraded the calipers on my Subaru to 4 pots and ended up with a soft pedal too. After a lot of head scratching and replacing of components, I noticed that the pads were hitting the lip on the disks. A new pair of disks and the pedal firmed up. If you have only replaced one caliper, it should be easy to check by comparing how far the pads sit from the disk on either side.

no just the caliper ;- Cars going back in to the stealer Thursday

soft pepal + braided lines

heres and update;-. Waterhouse Braintree havd diagnosed leaking seals in the master cyliender, they recon that the second set is working but the first set that 'does' the rears is leaking so most of the braking is at the front!! Anyway new master cylinder etc £500 but Warranty Direct have covered it;- so far so good. Impressions of Warranty Direct seem quite good this far!!

Really please with Waterhouse, they are much more prepered to help keep that car going at sencible costs and have no qualms about using patern parts wereas the local BMW stealer would not install anything other that OEM.:bannana:

Would it be worth installing some braided lines as the system is being done do we think??

I upgraded to braided hoses on the front and it does firm up the pedal noticeably. However there's very little 'give' in the pedal so it loses a bit of feel.

I got all the brake components from brakeparts.co.uk. 33 quid for HEL braided lines for the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom